American Marxism

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

Re: American Marxism

Post by henry quirk »

Walker wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:18 pm “And yet, historical and present-day experience shows that Marxism and its supposed “worker’s paradise” are responsible for the death of tens of millions of human beings, and the impoverishment and enslavement of over a billion more. Indeed, Marx was wrong about almost everything. The Industrial Revolution created a vast middle class unmatched at any time in world history, as opposed to an army of angry proletariat revolutionaries hell-bent on overthrowing the capitalist system. And despite the Marxist class warfare rhetoric of Democratic Party politicians and their surrogates, with technological and other advances capitalism has created unimaginable and unparalleled wealth for more people in all walks of life than any other economic system.”

- Mark Levin
American Marxism

(boldface added)
I missed this earlier...all true...is his assessment of what needs doin' buried in there?
Walker

Re: capitalism vs free enterprise: 'my' perspective (with lagniappe)

Post by Walker »

RCSaunders wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:59 pm No! Supporting some political agenda is not work. It's what one does to evade having to work, that is, to actually produce a product or service others would willingly choose to pay for. All political programs are forms of oppression and theft.
Well, you can hardly object to the book without reading the book. He looks deeper than politics, into cultural movements, causes that permeate practically every institution in society, and what’s known of past cause and effect.

It’s a well-researched book, not just someone spouting off.
Walker

Post by Walker »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:09 pm
I missed this earlier...all true...is his assessment of what needs doin' buried in there?
Levin calls himself a conservative activist and he shares practical knowledge about how to pressure the system, and he's well-qualified. The first six chapters explain why this is a turning point in history.
RCSaunders

Re: capitalism vs free enterprise: 'my' perspective (with lagniappe)

Post by RCSaunders »

Walker wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:26 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:59 pm No! Supporting some political agenda is not work. It's what one does to evade having to work, that is, to actually produce a product or service others would willingly choose to pay for. All political programs are forms of oppression and theft.
Well, you can hardly object to the book without reading the book. He looks deeper than politics, into cultural movements, causes that permeate practically every institution in society, and what’s known of past cause and effect.

It’s a well-researched book, not just someone spouting off.
Why would I read a book by someone whose views I'm totally familiar with and already know are wrong. He believes in political solutions when the whole problem is politics. There is no right kind of government. It is very unlikely that anyone familiar with the history of world politics and political philosophy, Cultural Marxism and the Frankfurt School and post modernism is going to learn anything form some political hack.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Walker wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:28 pm
henry quirk wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:09 pm
Levin calls himself a conservative activist and he shares practical knowledge about how to pressure the system, and he's well-qualified. The first six chapters explain why this is a turning point in history.
Yeah, I know who Levin is, and I know what's goin' down.

Since you mentioned it upthread, I'm just curious what he, in his book, sez needs doin', is all.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:57 pm The most powerful Marxians of the last century were the followers of Milton Firedman, such as Reagan, Pinochet, and Thatcher.
Because understanding what Marx was talking about does not mandate that you will want to redress the problems of inequality and exploitation; you can also use Marx as a playbook to create more inequality and to better understand how it is possible to convince your populace that their poverty is somehow their own fault. (ask any of the 17000 homeless on LA streets)
The last forty years or so has been characterised by the tendancy to increasing inequality, and the masking of those inequalities by the lie that "we are all in this together".
SO whilst captialism drags us all from one crisis to another those that have to pay the most for the economic disasters are generally the people who through thier toil, are the people who make the economy grow - the WORKERS. And whilst they pay again, and again, the rich just continue to exploit them and the situation to further enrich themselves.
How can any of that possibly matter?

As you pointed out elsewhere:
... the world you think you are living in and the life you think you are leading is a construction that actually happens in side your head.
Since all the terrible things "capitalism," is doing are only in your head, why should anyone else worry about them?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

RCSaunders wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:05 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:57 pm The most powerful Marxians of the last century were the followers of Milton Firedman, such as Reagan, Pinochet, and Thatcher.
Because understanding what Marx was talking about does not mandate that you will want to redress the problems of inequality and exploitation; you can also use Marx as a playbook to create more inequality and to better understand how it is possible to convince your populace that their poverty is somehow their own fault. (ask any of the 17000 homeless on LA streets)
The last forty years or so has been characterised by the tendancy to increasing inequality, and the masking of those inequalities by the lie that "we are all in this together".
SO whilst captialism drags us all from one crisis to another those that have to pay the most for the economic disasters are generally the people who through thier toil, are the people who make the economy grow - the WORKERS. And whilst they pay again, and again, the rich just continue to exploit them and the situation to further enrich themselves.

... the world you think you are living in and the life you think you are leading is a construction that actually happens in side your head.
Since all the terrible things "capitalism," is doing are only in your head, why should anyone else worry about them?
Don't be a stupid ****.
None of these things are the objects of perception.
All are conceptual.
If you think your world view is so fucking easy use your finger and place it on "marxism". Dickwad.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:53 pm

Don't be a stupid ****.
All are conceptual.
I know. That's what I mean. They're just things you made up in your head, out of "whole clothe," as they say, without any tangible evidence.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

RCSaunders wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:44 pm
Sculptor wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:53 pm

Don't be a stupid ****.
All are conceptual.
I know. That's what I mean. They're just things you made up in your head, out of "whole clothe," as they say, without any tangible evidence.
That's reality bitch
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Walker wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:44 pm American Marxism
by Mark R. Levin

Check it out.

He proves that a Marxist revolution is in process, American style.
MMarkarkism died in 1992 with the fall of the USSR.

Mrak Levin is a full-on NAZI - like g gorden liddy - both talk rant radio nazis.

if you listen to those thugs you do your mind no credit. turn that shit off and think for yourself is my adivse.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Walker wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:48 pm Levin makes the point that Marx was not a philosopher.

Neither was he an economist.

He was a journalist.
ya, and Levin is just a thug - a rich one at that. try focusing the messenger as much as the message Sir.

Levin is a NAzi.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

DPMartin wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:30 pm
Skepdick wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:46 pm
Walker wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:44 pm American Marxism
by Mark R. Levin

Check it out.

He proves that a Marxist revolution is in process, American style.
Marx once said "The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it.".

If anybody who wants to change the world is a Marxist, then I don't think I have ever met any non-Marxists.
i don't think so, Gates changed the world, Ford changed the world, there are ways to change the world without trying to get everyone else to do it for you like a Marxist would.

Ford changed the world. IBM should have with their OS/2 - but being a corp was slow to move - Gates threw OS/2 IBM agreement overbouard and made his inferior Wondoz, whcin via mass numbers forced to rulez the computers - thouyh the least in capability. so Gates won out due to not him, but to IBM donisaur. GTate won in spite of himself.

windoz remains the worst operating system from the early 90-- to today. OS/2 was lightyears better - tehn BE-OS - then Linux from the mid 90's to 30 yr later!!!!!!!! yet we are still stuck with windoz - due to numbrs - not merit.

I rem installing Slackware 2.0 in 98 - on my lowely winchip-2 - ran circls around my same install of windoz 95 at the time - but having to re-compile the fking kirnal to get soundblaster 16 sound and get my Zip drive to works - s a PIA. but at the time (and p[rob today too) Linux ran narly twice as fast as windoz did on the same computer.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

BE-OS was better than OS-10, but jobs killed it 20 yr ago.

so like Winodz, the leaser wins out when you can kill the beter prodcut - by hook or crook.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

at least Linux survives 2-percent in desktop - all in servers - take that windoz NT dreams for servers - ya "communism" and free opensourse software!

BE-OS? - well they never opensourcesed, so fk em, long gone now...........

Intell had similar dreasm - kill x86 and force all to have PCs running Itanic, but thanks to AMD with their 64 bit extensions and mass adoption of x86 via them and Cyrix/Winchip (IDT) - and a few others Rise/transmeta/etc..........tehy lost and had to sink Itanic and then adopt AMD's x64 xtentions vai royality payments - lol serves then right, itanic was a horrible "solution". x86 was good enough and unlike Intel - Windoz was aboble to force an iferior solution on the ret of us for decas.

at least Itanic died - finally - 20 yrs of effort and no gain............

looks like ARM has a chance to gain in the desktop - fine with me - it a decend chip wiht promise.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:00 pm
Walker wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:48 pm Levin makes the point that Marx was not a philosopher.

Neither was he an economist.

He was a journalist.
He was all three, and at levels way beyond the capacity for you or Levin (whever the fuck that is) to scratch the surface of understanding of half the ideas that Marx had.
i personally think Marx was full of shit.

as i think Levin is.