Chicago Mayor Is Being Unreasonable

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Re: Chicago Mayor Is a Loon

Post by Gary Childress »

mickthinks wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:02 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:16 pmFrom what I read the mayor is excluding white journalists from exclusive interviews with her.
In May, Lightfoot said the one-on-one interviews that mark the two-year anniversary of her inauguration would not be offered to white reporters.
So Lightfoot's inauguration happened on a single day in May. It follows that the two-year anniversary was another single day in May. The interviews may well have been conducted beforehand, but they were all for pieces that marked the anniversary, most of which would have appeared on the same day. May was a while back and the anniversary is similarly fading from memory. What made you think that the present tense, as in "grants exclusive interviews" and "excludes", is not a terrible misrepresentation?
Fair assessment. I did mischaracterize the statement by using the present tense and overgeneralizing. I stand corrected.

"Politicians don’t get to choose who covers them."

Lightfoot was not denying white journalists the right to "cover" her, as in "write reports and opinion pieces" about her. She was choosing not to give interviews to white journalists. I think it was maybe unwise of her to make her racial criterion explicit like that, but she has an absolute right to choose who she grants one-to-one interviews to.

This whole Politicians-don’t-get-to-choose-interviewers shtick is right-wing nonsense (on a par with "The Senate doesn't confirm nominees to the Supreme Court in an election year"). Trump didn't give interviews to everyone who wanted one, ffs. On the contrary he actually banned whole organisations from sending any reporters to White House press briefings! I thought that was an affront to democracy but I don't remember any of you guys getting upset about it.
If I recall correctly, those things were brought up in the press and Trump was criticized by many for giving exclusive interviews to certain outlets. Although I don't remember Trump using race as a criterion for whether or not he would grant an interview to a reporter. I think he used political criteria more. I didn't think it was right. I've had arguments with Henry and others while criticizing Trump. But I don't recall having an argument about that specific issue, no.

I will concede you are right. The Washington Examiner article isn't as bad as I made it out to be. And no, I don't think I brought up that particular point with regard to Trump. The article was toward the top of my news results when I saw it and it just got my attention.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:08 am
Gary Childress wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:16 pmFrom what I read the mayor is excluding white journalists from exclusive interviews with her.
So Lightfoot's inauguration happened on a single day in May. It follows that the two-year anniversary was another single day in May. The interviews may well have been conducted beforehand, but they were all for pieces that marked the anniversary, most of which would have appeared on the same day. May was a while back and the anniversary is similarly fading from memory. What made you think that the present tense, as in "grants exclusive interviews" and "excludes", is not a terrible misrepresentation?
Fair assessment. I did mischaracterize the statement by using the present tense and overgeneralizing. I stand corrected.

Lightfoot was not denying white journalists the right to "cover" her, as in "write reports and opinion pieces" about her. She was choosing not to give interviews to white journalists. I think it was maybe unwise of her to make her racial criterion explicit like that, but she has an absolute right to choose who she grants one-to-one interviews to.

This whole Politicians-don’t-get-to-choose-interviewers shtick is right-wing nonsense (on a par with "The Senate doesn't confirm nominees to the Supreme Court in an election year"). Trump didn't give interviews to everyone who wanted one, ffs. On the contrary he actually banned whole organisations from sending any reporters to White House press briefings! I thought that was an affront to democracy but I don't remember any of you guys getting upset about it.
If I recall correctly, those things were brought up in the press and Trump was criticized by many for giving exclusive interviews to certain outlets. Although I don't remember Trump using race as a criterion for whether or not he would grant an interview to a reporter. I think he used political criteria more. I didn't think it was right. I've had arguments with Henry and others while criticizing Trump. But I don't recall having an argument about that specific issue, no.

I will concede you are right. The Washington Examiner article isn't as bad as I made it out to be. And no, I don't think I brought up that particular point with regard to Trump. The article was toward the top of my news results when I saw it and it just got my attention.
This is what I mean. If you want a woman then stop being so pathetic and stick to your guns for once :roll:
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:14 am

This is what I mean. If you want a woman then stop being so pathetic and stick to your guns for once :roll:
Sorry, but I try to be honest.
vegetariantaxidermy

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:35 pm

That's not 'honest', it's just pathetic. Mickstinks is talking shit as usual and you know it.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:16 pm

That's not 'honest', it's just pathetic. Mickstinks is talking shit as usual and you know it.
It is honest and honesty is a route to truth.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Mickthinks is misleading you, Gary. Lightfoot has doubled down on that stance, and reiterated her determination to give exclusive interviews based on the race of the interviewer. Her latest restatement of that policy was yesterday, actually. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwDMkOcai5s

You were right, and your interlocutor is being misinformed or disingenuous. You did not owe any apology.
vegetariantaxidermy

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:27 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:16 pm

It is honest and honesty is a route to truth.
Where's the 'honesty'? He made a strawman 'argument'. He defended that bitch's racism by bringing up something he says Trump did, as if that has anything to do with the price of fish.