Robin DiAngelo: White Fragility

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

Robin DiAngelo: White Fragility

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Here is a summary of White Fragility by Robin Angelo from the book I am reading at present, i.e.
Cynic Theories by Helen Pluckrose & James Lindsay 2020

"Quote" ....................
Example 3: White Fragility: Why It Is So Hard to Talk to White People about Race by Robin DiAngelo (2018)

In this book, lecturer in “whiteness studies” Robin DiAngelo develops the concept of “white fragility” that she first laid out in a highly cited paper of that title from 2011.57
She begins with a strong objective truth claim:
  • White people in North America live in a social environment that protects and insulates them from race-based stress.
    This insulated environment of racial protection builds white expectations for racial comfort while at the same time lowering the ability to tolerate racial stress, leading to what I refer to as White Fragility.58
By itself this might be a useful insight, leading white people to reflect more deeply about their possibly unconscious prejudices.
But DiAngelo goes on to insist that society is permeated by white supremacy and that any disagreement with her ideas is the result of a weakness that has been socialized into white people through their privilege:
  • White Fragility is a state in which even a minimum amount of racial stress becomes intolerable, triggering a range of defensive moves.
    These moves include the outward display of emotions such as anger, fear, and guilt, and behaviors such as argumentation, silence, and leaving the stress-inducing situation.59
Any negative feelings about being racially profiled and held responsible for a racist society are taken as signs of being “fragile” and as evidence of complicity inif not collusion with—racism.

White people are complicit beneficiaries of racism and white supremacy.
This is The Truth According to Social justice— disagreement is not allowed.

DiAngelo is quite explicit about this.
If disagreeing, remaining silent, and going away are all evidence of fragility—mere “defensive moves”—the only way one can avoid being “fragile” is to remain put, show no negative emotions, and agree with The Truth—after which one must actively participate in discovering the Truth, that is, learning how to deconstruct whiteness and white privilege, which is billed as the necessary work of “antiracism.”

This is quite staggering.
DiAngelo, a white woman, contends that all white people are racist and that it is impossible not to be, because of the systems of powerful racist discourses we were born into.60
She insists that we are complicit by default and are therefore responsible for addressing these systems.
Like Applebaum, she argues that it does not matter if individual white people are good people who despise racism and are not aware of having any racist biases:
  • Being good or bad is not relevant.
    Racism is a multilayered system embedded in our culture.
    All of us are socialized into the system of racism.
    Racism cannot be avoided.
    Whites have blind spots on racism, and I have blind spots on racism.
    Racism is complex, and I don’t have to understand every nuance of the feedback to validate that feedback.
    Whites are / I am unconsciously invested in racism.

Bias is implicit and unconscious.61
This personal approach pervades White Fragility.
So do collectivism and rejection of individuality.

DiAngelo writes as a white person addressing other white people and insists “we” should see the world the way she does,
  • This book is unapologetically rooted in identity politics.
    I am white and am addressing a common white dynamic.
    I am mainly writing to a white audience; when I use the terms us and we, I am referring to the white collective.62
For Theorists like DiAngelo, white people are a collective because of their position within the power grid of society—they cannot help benefiting from racism and therefore must work through it.
Moreover, white people are, according to DiAngelo, “socialized into a deeply internalized sense of superiority that we either are unaware of or can never admit to ourselves.”63 All white people can do is become more aware of their relationship to power and consciously address it—over and over again.
This is the postmodern political principle at work.

DiAngelo also rejects the liberal principles of individualism and “color blindness”—that a person’s race is irrelevant to her worth, as Martin Luther King, Jr., argued.
Liberal values are, in The Truth According to Social justice, racist because they enable white people to hide from the “realities” of their own racism and white supremacy.

DiAngelo sermonizes,
  • To challenge the ideologies of racism such as individualism and color blindness, we as white people must suspend our perception of ourselves as unique and/or outside race.
    Exploring our collective racial identity interrupts a key privilege of dominance—the ability to see oneself only as an individual.64
DiAngelo’s is probably the purest manifestation of the postmodernist conception of society.
Like her contemporaries, she displays an unshakable conviction in the postmodern principles and themes.
This indicates that these have been reified as the foundation of the Social justice metanarrative.65

Worryingly, her ideas, more than any other, have successfully broken the bounds of academia and entered the mainstream.

The book White Fragility was a New York Times best seller for over six months: Di-Angelo was able to promote it on an extensive world tour.

Another book by DiAngelo on confronting racism, as she sees it, is already on its way.
"End Quote"

Your views?
Terrapin Station

Re: Robin DiAngelo: White Fragility

Post by Terrapin Station »

"By itself this might be a useful insight, leading white people to reflect more deeply about their possibly unconscious prejudices."

I don't buy that there (is at least any way to show that there) are unconscious mental phenomena. Does it make any sense to talk about prejudice as something other than a mental phenomenon? I don't think so. You can't have a nonmental (pre)judgment. So we'd a fortiori have the task of evidencing any arbitrary unconscious mental phenomenon before we could plausibly talk about unconscious prejudice.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Terrapin Station wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:08 pm "By itself this might be a useful insight, leading white people to reflect more deeply about their possibly unconscious prejudices."

I don't buy that there (is at least any way to show that there) are unconscious mental phenomena. Does it make any sense to talk about prejudice as something other than a mental phenomenon? I don't think so. You can't have a nonmental (pre)judgment. So we'd a fortiori have the task of evidencing any arbitrary unconscious mental phenomenon before we could plausibly talk about unconscious prejudice.
You're bein' reasonable, T.

As I say elsewhere, You can't reason with the unreasonable: you can only defend yourself (as in preserve your life, liberty, and property) from the unreasonable.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:35 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:08 pm "By itself this might be a useful insight, leading white people to reflect more deeply about their possibly unconscious prejudices."

As I say elsewhere, You can't reason with the unreasonable ...
You're right, but why would you need or want to. [I admit, it is sometimes fun to play the idiots.]
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:01 am Your views?
DiAngelo is, by her own testimony in the book, a racist and a sexist.

Why not believe her?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:07 pm
henry quirk wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:35 pm

As I say elsewhere, You can't reason with the unreasonable ...
You're right, but why would you need or want to. [I admit, *it is sometimes fun to play the idiots.]
*Well then carry on... 👍
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

DiAngelo is not doing philosophy and critical thinking.
She appear to have some sort of psychosis to arrive at the above views.

I mentioned somewhere,
the philosophical perspective to the above is to apply the problem of universals [Plato's] and the reification of the noumena of whiteness which is illusory.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:12 am DiAngelo is not doing philosophy and critical thinking.
How could she be? She's damning all "whites," regardless of what they've actually done or thought, and calling them "fragile" if they complain.
She appear to have some sort of psychosis to arrive at the above views.
No, I think she's just pandering.

She has a sense she can make herself a celebrity by catering to the bigotry of the Leftist mob, and she's succeeding precisely because they're not very bright and like to hear what they already think. She knows that all she has to do is raise their propaganda one level, and they'll buy in. So she's done that, and she'll get some money and a whole lot of speaking engagements out of it.

She'll do nobody any good, but she'll get a win for herself.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

I saw a video of one of her seminars trying to train white people not to be sensitive. It reminds me of how black parents were trying to teach their children not to be sensitive to the names white people were calling them during the Jim Crow era. I believe that's where the old adage about "sticks and stones break bones but names don't hurt me" came into being. It seems we've made no real progress since reconstruction with people like DiAngelo at the helm.