Authoritarianism

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

Authoritarianism

Post by Advocate »

Authoritarianism is falsely acting self-righteous in a position of power, an assumption of infallibility. It is an epistemological blind spot coupled with illegitimate authority (acceptance of supporters).
Skepdick

Re: Authoritarianism

Post by Skepdick »

Advocate wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:58 pm Authoritarianism is falsely acting self-righteous in a position of power, an assumption of infallibility. It is an epistemological blind spot coupled with illegitimate authority (acceptance of supporters).
What's a "legitimate authority" ?
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Skepdick post_id=512538 time=1622463469 user_id=17350]
[quote=Advocate post_id=512533 time=1622462301 user_id=15238]
Authoritarianism is falsely acting self-righteous in a position of power, an assumption of infallibility. It is an epistemological blind spot coupled with illegitimate authority (acceptance of supporters).
[/quote]
[/quote]

At minimum, your supporters must be accepting you for accurate reasons - no fraud or hypocrisy. For another it must be based on actual benefit for everyone subject to it - good reasons.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Advocate wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:09 pm
Skepdick wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:17 pm
Advocate wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:58 pm Authoritarianism is falsely acting self-righteous in a position of power, an assumption of infallibility. It is an epistemological blind spot coupled with illegitimate authority (acceptance of supporters).
At minimum, your supporters must be accepting you for accurate reasons - no fraud or hypocrisy. For another it must be based on actual benefit for everyone subject to it - good reasons.
I don't think is good enough view.

I affirm legitimate authority as the power that be are acting in accordanc to the Rule of Law.

I'm a legalist.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=gaffo post_id=512951 time=1622940554 user_id=15438]

I affirm legitimate authority as the power that be are acting in accordanc to the Rule of Law.

I'm a legalist.
[/quote]

By what measure is the law legitimate?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Advocate wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:09 pm At minimum, your supporters must be accepting you for accurate reasons - no fraud or hypocrisy. For another it must be based on actual benefit for everyone subject to it - good reasons.
By what measure are the reasons of supporters "accurate" and "good"?
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Skepdick post_id=514800 time=1624305751 user_id=17350]
[quote=Advocate post_id=512554 time=1622477396 user_id=15238]
[/quote]
By what measure are the reasons of supporters "accurate" and "good"?
[/quote]

Your infinite regress is the opposite of knowledge or progress.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Advocate wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:06 am
gaffo wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:49 am I don't think is good enough view.

I'm a legalist.
the laws on the books the courts that support those laws and parlement that also makes said laws. etc......affirmed by the Governed (People )of course.

the unwritten social convention is that the Government rules by the Rule of Law (not whim/corruption/plutocracy/etc) over the Governed People, in return the People willingly allow to be governed by a goverment that is bound to the Rule of Law.

when thaat agreement is broken, revolution become the last illegal but justified natural law liberty option.
Last edited by gaffo on Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=gaffo post_id=521615 time=1627784464 user_id=15438]
[quote=Advocate post_id=512955 time=1622941597 user_id=15238]
[quote=gaffo post_id=512951 time=1622940554 user_id=15438]

I'm a legalist.
[/quote]

[/quote]

the laws on the books the courts that support those laws and parlement that also makes said laws. etc......affirmed by the Governed (People )of course.
[/quote]

So might makes right? You didn't say a single thing about those laws being based in reality, much less good for the people.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Advocate wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:24 am
gaffo wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:21 am
Advocate wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:06 am By what measure is the law legitimate?
So might makes right? You didn't say a single thing about those laws being based in reality, much less good for the people.
i ammende my reply while you posted to it - see above.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Advocate wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:24 am
gaffo wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:21 am
Advocate wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:06 am By what measure is the law legitimate?

might never make right. the social agreement is a gov that is not corrupt and represents the will of the poople and governed upon th Rule of :Aw (be it a deomcracy, republic , monarch, etc-does not matter the form of gov - as long as the people voted it in and it affirm the LAws of the ALand).

when that agreement is borken - gov become corrpt, then it is no longer valid. result is bloody and ussually you end up with the same or worse gov later - but must repeat until all are dead or the final gov is one that represnts the people of that land.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

I'll give you an example of corrupton fo rthe last 230 yrs her ein America - House of reps - gerrymandering.

a simple solution is to change it to a simple "Grid" - Township, Section, Range - on mile grid (or a 5X5 or 10 x 10 - earch rep is from that grid - period. no snaking squidlike bullsit like that huston falla one eyd guy's desrict.

ow to do it? - me shouting on my soapbox will not make it so - and if i had the powe rto do it - i would be violating the Rule of LAw. the legal way is to have the reps in congress ammnd the constition - with 3/4 of the states/etc.....so never going to happen - but that is the only legal way to make it so and to make amore perfect union/government.

an informed citizenry with guts would help emensely to pressure gov to become les corrupt, but that ain't gona happen when most folks are more interesed in tweeting than knowing where greenalnd is o a map..