the righteous tyrant

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sculptor

Re: the righteous tyrant

Post by Sculptor »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:31 am
tillingborn wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:01 pm I think I understand what authority is warranted, in your view; what I don't understand is how that authority affects our agreeing to be governed.
It's very simple: a morally good or right thinking person accords with legitimate authority, where such exists.
Sieg heil! Sieg heil! Sieg heil! Sieg heil! Sieg heil! Sieg heil!

Follow the Gloriouslegitimate leader Immanuel Could'nt if he tried; master of the Galaxy.
Sieg heil! Sieg heil! Sieg heil! Sieg heil! Sieg heil!
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Lacewing wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:42 pm
Age wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:15 am I KNOW who 'I' am.
Who or what is that?
I feel you're frustration Lace. Age seems to be the master of pulling quotes out of context.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:20 pm Sieg heil! Sieg heil! Sieg heil! Sieg heil! Sieg heil! Sieg heil!

Follow the Gloriouslegitimate leader Immanuel Could'nt if he tried; master of the Galaxy.
Sieg heil! Sieg heil! Sieg heil! Sieg heil! Sieg heil!
Silly cherry-picker.

What about the people who fought against the Nazis?

Were their governments legitimate?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:31 pm
Lacewing wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:42 pm
Age wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:15 am I KNOW who 'I' am.
Who or what is that?
I feel you're frustration Lace. Age seems to be the master of pulling quotes out of context.
Yes. And he can blab for paragraphs about everything except such claims as he makes above.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

tillingborn wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:56 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:59 pm
tillingborn wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:02 am...a parent has legitimate authority to watch their child all the time, demand absolute obedience and threaten hideous punishment for failure....
Heh. :D Well, this is perverse. No such thing was said or implied. It's your pure fabrication.
It is what God does.
That's your view? You think that's who God is? You think that's how He operates? :shock:

Well, now I can say for certain you don't know God. But your mistake is common enough, I suppose.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:50 pmWell, now I can say for certain you don't know God. But your mistake is common enough, I suppose.
If it is a common error, I would hope that Christians have found a way to correct it. It is my understanding that God is omniscient; that he knows everything we ever do or think and will judge us accordingly. Is that not God?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:50 pm
tillingborn wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:56 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:59 pmHeh. :D Well, this is perverse. No such thing was said or implied. It's your pure fabrication.
It is what God does.
That's your view? You think that's who God is? You think that's how He operates? :shock:

Well, now I can say for certain you don't know God. But your mistake is common enough, I suppose.
Who do YOU think God is? And how do YOU think he operates?

Offer your perspective for comparison, rather than just telling someone they don't know God.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Lacewing wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:13 pm Who do YOU think God is? And how do YOU think he operates?

Offer your perspective for comparison, rather than just telling someone they don't know God.
If God works in mysterious ways he can't even begin to tell us.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

tillingborn wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:07 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:50 pmWell, now I can say for certain you don't know God. But your mistake is common enough, I suppose.
If it is a common error, I would hope that Christians have found a way to correct it.
They have. Many times. But not everybody has ears to hear it. Some people are more interested in dismissing the whole idea of God than in knowing Him. Sad, but true.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Lacewing wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:13 pm Who do YOU think God is? And how do YOU think he operates?
Let me refer you to the authoritative source, rather than to personal opinion. There are, in fact, 66 famous books on the subject. They're called "The Bible."
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:22 pm
Let me refer you to the authoritative source, rather than to personal opinion. There are, in fact, 66 famous books on the subject. They're called "The Bible."
You write great volumes trying to invalidate all that you don't agree with, yet you refuse to explain in your own words why you believe what you do, and why you make the claims you do.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Lacewing wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:46 pm
You write great volumes trying to invalidate all that you don't agree with, yet you refuse to explain in your own words why you believe what you do, and why you make the claims you do.
Ha. :D I haven't exactly been shy about that. You must not have read much of it, though.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Is God really the jealous god of Abraham who has to ask where Adam and Eve had wandered off to in the Garden of Eden after they ate the apples? Or is God the omniscient, benevolent, omnipotent God of the modern deists? The God of the Quran or the Vedas? Or is God something/someone else altogether?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

is God the omniscient, benevolent, omnipotent God of the modern deists?

I see him as distant, interested, but uninvolved.

I must an an old school deist.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:53 pm is God the omniscient, benevolent, omnipotent God of the modern deists?

I see him as distant, interested, but uninvolved.

I must an an old school deist.
If there is a God, I hope s/he/it is that too. Some of the other portrayals of him/her/it don't seem so godly.