Medically Assisted Suicide for the Mentally Ill?

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

commonsense

Re: Medically Assisted Suicide for the Mentally Ill?

Post by commonsense »

Mental illnesses are cognitive or affective, in which mood affects decision making (I.e. logic).

A mental illness that does not affect decision making could not even afflict a philosophical zombie.

Logic-related mental illness is like pressure-related flat tire.

If you want to talk about people who are not mentally ill but behave in an eccentric fashion, have at it.
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

commonsense wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:26 pm Mental illnesses are cognitive or affective, in which mood affects decision making (I.e. logic).

A mental illness that does not affect decision making could not even afflict a philosophical zombie.

Logic-related mental illness is like pressure-related flat tire.

If you want to talk about people who are not mentally ill but behave in an eccentric fashion, have at it.
"Affective" IS the "emotional", not the "cognitive" form of mental illness.

"Affect" means "to cause an effect upon", which with respect to mental illness would refer to those factors that CAN cause an effect that makes one appear a certain way regardless of what is going on inside their head intellectually. Of course this CAN also affect ones intellectual appearance but does not assure it. The use of it as a term in psychiatry is to contrast it WITH those who have intellectual impairment. The symptoms can sometimes appear the same but "affect" is more often related to unusual CHANGE of those who would otherwise be normally unimpaired.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Sorry. Perhaps it would’ve been helpful if I had used the either-or formulation instead of a naked or.

What are some instances where mood does not affect thinking?