reverse voting

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

Don't not vote for me in 2024!

Post by Advocate »

My party platform will include citizen veto as it's method. We will not spend any time on the things my constituents most do not want me worrying about.
commonsense

Re: reverse voting

Post by commonsense »

Here’s a problem I see: various voters will have varying weight associated with their veto votes.

Out of 10 candidates, if a voter vetoes

9 candidates,

then that voter has effectively voted 9 times for the candidate not vetoed in comparison to other veto voters.

If another voter vetoes

1 candidate,

then that voter has effectively voted 1/9 of a vote for each of the candidates not vetoed.

One voter has allocated himself 9 votes while another has just 1 vote.

That’s the problem I see.
Advocate

Re: reverse voting

Post by Advocate »

[quote=commonsense post_id=500399 time=1614797812 user_id=14610]
Here’s a problem I see: various voters will have varying weight associated with their veto votes.

Out of 10 candidates, if a voter vetoes

9 candidates,

then that voter has effectively voted 9 times for the candidate not vetoed in comparison to other veto voters.

If another voter vetoes

1 candidate,

then that voter has effectively voted 1/9 of a vote for each of the candidates not vetoed.

One voter has allocated himself 9 votes while another has just 1 vote.

That’s the problem I see.
[/quote]

That seems like a candidate selection problem. If people think more than half the candidates are unacceptable, maybe they're not? There's no party affiliation problems so the decision is to find the least objectionable person qualified to do the job. If they're actually qualified the objections must be for less important reasons than that.