"Utopia"

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

"Utopia"

Post by Advocate »

Relegating Utopia to a sideline in literary criticism instead of making it the centerpiece of political science shows modern universities to be entirely out of touch with the implicit purpose of their existence - to make the world a better place.
Impenitent

Re: "Utopia"

Post by Impenitent »

headstones make the world a better place

-Imp
Walker

Post by Walker »

MAGA got MUGD

MUGD = Make Us Government Dependent
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Advocate wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:30 pm Relegating Utopia to a sideline in literary criticism instead of making it the centerpiece of political science shows modern universities to be entirely out of touch with the implicit purpose of their existence - to make the world a better place.
What do you mean? Just about every youngster I know wants to make the world a better place. Not only do they want to , they also know how!
13120132324154.jpg
13120132324154.jpg (27.17 KiB) Viewed 1460 times
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Walker wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:50 pm MAGA got MUGD

MUGD = Make Us Government Dependent
American was never Great in the way you think.
But it shall be much greater tomorrow than it has been in the last terrible four years.

Seriously you think THIS is great???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdLfkhxIH5Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAIfU5RBBso

Whoooo Utopia!!

25,000 lies and deeptions posted over the last 4 years.
Walker

Post by Walker »

For many, the American Dream is a small business that may grow. The principle is not greed. The principle is the reality that all people have the inherent need to be captain of one’s own ship, charting one’s own course. It’s the principle behind the home is one’s castle, even if it’s a tent on the sidewalk.

Although the need is inherent, i.e. God-given, it can be conditioned out of a population by conditioning individuals to be a secondary cog to the herd, of secondary significance. Ref: CCP and North Korea.

Crush small business, expand centralized business, expand centralized government power. These qualify as fundamental changes to fundamentally transform a society in a downward, leveling fashion, so that everyone is sitting by the mail box and hoping this month's money gets printed.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Walker wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:00 pm For many, the American Dream is a small business that may grow.
https://www.facebook.com/39171898761/vi ... 5472770202
Walker

Post by Walker »

American exceptionalism is an Enlightenment experiment.

This explains, and saves writin’ time.

https://www.city-journal.org/american-exceptionalism
FrankGSterleJr

Post by FrankGSterleJr »

I recall watching with great disappointment then-president Barack Obama capitulate—like other neo-liberal presidents before him and likely after him—to big money politics in the very worst way, with the Flint, Michigan drinking-water atrocity.

I call it an atrocity due to safe drinking water being the second most immediate fundamental necessity of life (the first, of course, being clean air).

A then admirer of Obama, I muttered ‘Please say it isn’t so’ as he drank (at least what supposedly was) a glass of the Flint water; this signified that the health-hazardously lead-laden water is actually safe to drink, which he must have known is not.

It became clearer to me that U.S. presidents, and no less Canadian prime ministers, mostly serve as large corporate and power interest puppets.

The political system essentially involves two established conservative and (neo)liberal parties more or less alternating in governance while habitually kowtowing to the interests of the very wealthy but especially big business’s crippling threats (whether implied or explicit) of a loss of jobs, capital investment and/or economic stability, etcetera.

This of course fails to mention, amongst other things, the corporate-welfare-cheque subsidies doled out annually to already very profitable corporations and the forgiveness of huge loan debts owed to taxpayers.

(Not helping matters is that almost all of our information is still produced and/or shared with us by concentrated corporate-owned media.)

This corporate-political reality may be why so many low-income citizens have felt futility in voting at all, let alone waiting in a long line-up in the weather to do so.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

FrankGSterleJr wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:52 pm I recall watching with great disappointment then-president Barack Obama capitulate—like other neo-liberal presidents before him and likely after him—to big money politics in the very worst way, with the Flint, Michigan drinking-water atrocity.
Yes, that was my final straw (no pun intended) with Obama too.