Syndicalism - the cure for our capitalist malady?

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

Re: Syndicalism - the cure for our capitalist malady?

Post by henry quirk »

the bits that misters Mond and Quirk don't like, does actually work.

what bits don't I like?
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Skepdick wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:44 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:31 pm Having answers to such questions is why modern capitalism, even with all the bits that misters Mond and Quirk don't like, does actually work.
Does it work because of capitalism, or is it capitalism because it works?

It's a self-organizing system, in which a bunch of hairless apes think they have way more control over the system itself than they actually do.
The modern capitalism I refer to comes with an array of laws, regulatory bodies, multinational treaties, insurance, and exotic financial instruments, all put together by those same hairless apes. Henry considers most of these to be communism or something, and Mond seems to think they should all be replaced with a group hug. They solve problems though.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:53 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:31 pm Having answers to such questions is why modern capitalism, even with all the bits that misters Mond and Quirk don't like, does actually work.

It's a self-organizing system, in which a bunch of hairless apes think they have way more control over the system itself than they actually do.
The modern capitalism I refer to comes with an array of laws, regulatory bodies, multinational treaties, insurance, and exotic financial instruments, all put together by those same hairless apes. Henry considers most of these to be communism or something, and Mond seems to think they should all be replaced with a group hug. They solve problems though.
don't think my minarchist keister ever denounced regulation, or treaties, or insurance, or exotica...I favor minimalism and commonsense in those things, is all
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:00 pm

don't think my minarchist keister ever denounced regulation, or treaties, or insurance, or exotica...I favor minimalism and commonsense in those things, is all
You were on about bounty hunters and using gold as money last time we discussed this sort of thing.

I'm talking about the regulators who we have right now in a modern western economy. The ones who set environmental standards for clean air and water to prevent unpriced externalities; the central banks that that loosen and tighten M3 money supply to keep prices and demand in sync; the international bodies that resolve trade disputes between nations; and the governing bodies that license practitioners of complex trades whose clients stand to lose out massively if they are fooled into placing their health or business into the hands of a shady lawyer or doctor. (Not all such bodies, I'm not endorsing the ones that say who is allowed to do certain hairstyles in certain cities, or the ones which exist to hand out medallions to taxi drivers).
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:14 pm
henry quirk wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:00 pm

You were on about bounty hunters and using gold as money last time we discussed this sort of thing.

I'm talking about the regulators who we have right now in a modern western economy. The ones who set environmental standards for clean air and water to prevent unpriced externalities; the central banks that that loosen and tighten M3 money supply to keep prices and demand in sync; the international bodies that resolve trade disputes between nations; and the governing bodies that license practitioners of complex trades whose clients stand to lose out massively if they are fooled into placing their health or business into the hands of a shady lawyer or doctor. (Not all such bodies, I'm not endorsing the ones that say who is allowed to do certain hairstyles in certain cities, or the ones which exist to hand out medallions to taxi drivers).
ok