Trump's loss is by more than 4 million people...

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

commonsense

Re: Trump's loss is by more than 4 million people...

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:01 pm
commonsense wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:59 pm How would you respond to the following variation on the trolley thought experiment?

On one track, instead of one person (your friend, your relative, a priest, a rabbi or what have you) there is an unlimited number of strangers. Some are rapists. Some are murderers. Some are hard workers. Some are refuge seekers. Also on the track, in front of the strangers, is a child kidnapped by his parents and brought here.

On the other track there’s a large security blanket to keep you warm, to shield you from the wind, to shade you from scorching sun, to keep you dry when it rains and even to provide you with food when it is used to harvest grain. The blanket is large enough to accommodate all the needs of your family, your relatives and your loved ones.

Which track would you give the trolley?
I'll answer though I expect a clarification on what this has to do with the price of rice

simplifyin': on one line I got people, on the other, stuff

me: I shunt the train to plow through and over the stuff

now: pony up the explanation
Oops. Wrong thread, but I’ll leave it here since I don’t know how to move it to the puzzling enigma.

So you chose to be kind to the people at our southern border at the cost of security stuff.

You are a humane human. :D
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:33 pm
commonsense wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:59 pm How would you respond to the following variation on the trolley thought experiment?

On one track, instead of one person (your friend, your relative, a priest, a rabbi or what have you) there is an unlimited number of strangers. Some are rapists. Some are murderers. Some are hard workers. Some are refuge seekers. Also on the track, in front of the strangers, is a child kidnapped by his parents and brought here.

On the other track there’s a large security blanket to keep you warm, to shield you from the wind, to shade you from scorching sun, to keep you dry when it rains and even to provide you with food when it is used to harvest grain. The blanket is large enough to accommodate all the needs of your family, your relatives and your loved ones.

I'll answer though I expect a clarification on what this has to do with the price of rice

Oops. Wrong thread, but I’ll leave it here since I don’t know how to move it to the puzzling enigma.

So you chose to be kind to the people at our southern border at the cost of security stuff.

well, as I've said, if I had my way, not a soul would cross the border without permission (in the same way no one enters my house without permission)...those that do ought to be caught and exported immediately...the only processin' that ought to happen is care for immediate medical needs (slap a band-aid on that boo-boo, give 'em a bologna sammich, etc.)...mebbe give 'em a pamphlet describin' the correct way to immigrate

we ought not detain 'em, nor should we pussy out and give way to all the pleas and beggin'

still not seein' what your thought experiment has to do with anything
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:51 pm

well, as I've said, if I had my way, not a soul would cross the border without permission (in the same way no one enters my house without permission)...those that do ought to be caught and exported immediately...the only processin' that ought to happen is care for immediate medical needs (slap a band-aid on that boo-boo, give 'em a bologna sammich, etc.)...mebbe give 'em a pamphlet describin' the correct way to immigrate

we ought not detain 'em, nor should we pussy out and give way to all the pleas and beggin'

Immigration reform. Kids in cages. Conflict and contradiction. Trump and Republicans v wokies and lefties.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:54 pm

Immigration reform. Kids in cages. Conflict and contradiction. Trump and Republicans v wokies and lefties.
still not seein' any connection with your thought experiment
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

commonsense wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:54 pm

Obama used those 'cages' (in reality large areas contained with chain fencing) as well. He also deported more illegal immigrants than any other president. As I care about my children, I wouldn't drag them to another country KNOWING that I'm not allowed to just because I PERCEIVE that I MIGHT be able to make more money there.
The US has some of the sctrictest immigration laws in the world.
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
vegetariantaxidermy

Are you suggesting that the 'large, benign blanket' represents the US? :lol:

It's that's kind of crap that attracts those people in the first place. They aren't fleeing from certain death. Perhaps they should make an effort to sort out their own countries instead. A 'country' is only the sum of its people.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:39 pm

Are you suggesting that the 'large, benign blanket' represents the US? :lol:

It's that's kind of crap that attracts those people in the first place. They aren't fleeing from certain death. Perhaps they should make an effort to sort out their own countries instead. A 'country' is only the sum of its people.
The blanket only represents the security of resources that may result from closed borders.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:31 am What mattered was that wokedom rallied to get Trump out...
??? Where do you come up with this stuff? Do you just whip it out of your arse? How many people do you think are wokies, or whatever the fuck you're raging against now? Previously it was "the PC". These are just labels you indiscriminately apply to people you don't know, but who you think belong to large groups you don't like, for imaginary reasons you have no clue of. Are you as stupid as you seem?
vegetariantaxidermy

Lacewing wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:33 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:31 am What mattered was that wokedom rallied to get Trump out...
??? Where do you come up with this stuff? Do you just whip it out of your arse? How many people do you think are wokies, or whatever the fuck you're raging against now? Previously it was "the PC". These are just labels you indiscriminately apply to people you don't know, but who you think belong to large groups you don't like, for imaginary reasons you have no clue of. Are you as stupid as you seem?
The woke are hypocrites and phonies. If you had a gram of self awareness you would see this. Do you really think I expect you to 'get' it? You are definitely as stupid as you seem.

Hint: 'woke' and 'PC' are synonymous.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:37 am The woke are hypocrites and phonies.
It's just a label and an idea, is it not? Is there any other perceived group we could attribute hypocrisy and phoniness to? Maybe a bunch of them? So what the fuck is the distinction you're making?
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:37 amIf you had a gram of self awareness you would see this.
You believe yourself to uniquely have self awareness? :lol:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:37 amDo you really think I expect you to 'get' it?
You mean, to "get" what YOU think is worthwhile and real with your limited awareness?
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:37 amYou are definitely as stupid as you seem.
Then I'm as genuine as can be. :D (And you've not been able to conclude anything specific, as usual.)
vegetariantaxidermy

Lacewing wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:16 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:37 am The woke are hypocrites and phonies.
It's just a label and an idea, is it not? Is there any other perceived group we could attribute hypocrisy and phoniness to? Maybe a bunch of them? So what the fuck is the distinction you're making?
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:37 amIf you had a gram of self awareness you would see this.
You believe yourself to uniquely have self awareness? :lol:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:37 amDo you really think I expect you to 'get' it?
You mean, to "get" what YOU think is worthwhile and real with your limited awareness?
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:37 amYou are definitely as stupid as you seem.
Then I'm as genuine as can be. :D (And you've not been able to conclude anything specific, as usual.)
Right. Wokism doesn't exist. I'm just making it up. Stupid yank.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:30 am Right. Wokism doesn't exist. I'm just making it up. Stupid yank.
It's a label for an idea. Like many labels and ideas. Which shallow people apply broadly and indiscriminately without justification, so they can act like they stand for something and they're above it all somehow. But they rarely answer the questions put to them about their claims, because they are full of shit. Which makes it all little more than someone's excuse to vent their mindless rage, based on shallow and distorted imaginings.
Last edited by Lacewing on Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
vegetariantaxidermy

Lacewing wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:37 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:30 am Right. Wokism doesn't exist. I'm just making it up. Stupid yank.
It's a label for an idea. Like many labels and ideas. Which shallow people apply broadly without justification, so they can act like they stand for something and they're above it all somehow. But they rarely answer the questions put to them about their claims, because they are full of shit. Which makes it all little more than someone's excuse to vent their mindless rage, based on shallow imaginings.
Bullshit. It started in yankville so at least be honest and 'own' it (another revolting yankism).
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:40 am Bullshit. It started in yankville so at least be honest and 'own' it (another revolting yankism).
I don't even know what the fuck you're going on about. You're making a big deal out of some little bug you've got up your butt, as usual.
vegetariantaxidermy

Lacewing wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:44 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:40 am Bullshit. It started in yankville so at least be honest and 'own' it (another revolting yankism).
I don't even know what the fuck you're going on about. You're making a big deal out of some little bug you've got up your butt, as usual.
How old are you? Five?