Calling All Liberal Race Baiters

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:37 pm
commonsense wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:27 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:00 pm
Why? They're "good." Do you want them to become "less good"? :shock:
They are not good enough if, for example, they are OK with the unjustified use of lethal force.
Who says they are? :shock:

If they are, then they are not "good," by definition. And if that's so, then we ought to refer to the rest them as "the rest of the all-bad cops," instead of "the good ones," shouldn't we?
If only we adhered to such accuracy when we speak. They are currently called, in common speech, “the good officers”, but they should be referenced as “the so-called good officers”.

Who says they are not good enough? Anyone who does not approve of unnecessary police violence.
Immanuel Can

Re:

Post by Immanuel Can »

commonsense wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:58 pm They are currently called, in common speech, “the good officers”, but they should be referenced as “the so-called good officers”.

Who says they are not good enough? Anyone who does not approve of unnecessary police violence.
Whoa, matey. :wink:

How do you know the officers in question either do, or "approve" of ,"unnecessary police violence," and so are only "so-called good"? Maybe they all hate what the few truly "bad" officers do. But do you suppose they don't?

What's your evidence for that?
commonsense

Re: talkin' 'bout 'murica, here...

Post by commonsense »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:41 pm
commonsense wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:29 pm Rewards & punishment. Affective training.
They have "rewards and punishments" already. If they use "unjustified force," they are fired and prosecuted. So that doesn't seem much of a reform. And it would seem that the "good cops" are already entirely opposed to the "bad" cops doing what they do.
There has indeed been a trend lately toward fire & fry, so it that may be a reform that helps to change. But do cops get hired at law enforcement agencies after being let go from one?

Are they still being put back on the street, even after multiple incidents?

And are the cops afraid to speak out against a bad cop due to peer pressure not to rat on a fellow cop, especially not to the higher-ups?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

commonsense wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:08 pm There has indeed been a trend lately toward fire & fry,
What's your evidence that this is a "trend," and wasn't being practiced before?
Are they still being put back on the street, even after multiple incidents?
Again, your evidence would be...what?
And are the cops afraid to speak out against a bad cop due to peer pressure not to rat on a fellow cop, especially not to the higher-ups?
Maybe. I can't say for sure. It certainly happens in other professions, so it might happen there, too. But again, we'd need evidence.

In any case, what sort of training is going to change that, if it's true? People don't like to "rat" on each other. That's normal. In fact, a taste for the opposite is quite toxic in any profession. It means nobody has loyalties, and they're "ratting" on each other for fun or advantage. I'm not sure that's a phenomenon that we'd want to see in ANY profession.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:14 pm In any case, what sort of training is going to change that, if it's true?
Affective. (It’s the A in the KSAs of adult education.)
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

commonsense wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:32 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:14 pm In any case, what sort of training is going to change that, if it's true?
Affective. (It’s the A in the KSAs of adult education.)
Feelings? You're blaming police "emotions" or "values" for the deficiencies of "bad" officers? They just don't have the right emotions, or value the right things? That's what you're suggesting?

Just asking.

What "values" or "feelings" do you insist police have wrong?

P.S. -- Did you actually HAVE any evidence for your two earlier claims? Or are we just passing over that?
commonsense

Re: Calling All Liberal Race Baiters

Post by commonsense »

I don’t understand feelings well enough to name emotions involved or to say how they are to be changed. I recognize values as an element of a shared culture.

I would like to pass on your other questions as the only evidence I have is my personal experience, which is, after all, anecdotal and about which I will not provide any details, as I said earlier.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

commonsense wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:36 pm I don’t understand feelings well enough to name emotions involved or to say how they are to be changed. I recognize values as an element of a shared culture.
Well, here's the difficulty with that:

We don't know if there is a police problem, and we don't know if it's cultural. But if it exists, and if it's cultural, emotions and values are not the only elements of culture, so we don't know how to get ahold of the alleged problem.

We'd need more information than we have right now...that is, if we think there's a problem and we are talking it seriously.
...the only evidence I have is my personal experience, which is, after all, anecdotal
A fair answer. I would only say that one person's experience, no matter how deeply painful, is not sufficient warrant to judge the situation for the vast majority of police officers. We'd have to know that your experience was in some way common or typical.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

You are right.
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

commonsense wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:11 pm
SteveKlinko wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:28 pm I was perplexed when I heard on TV that the kids feel safer without a police presence in their schools. This seemed like some kind of weird Science Fiction reality. It turns out that it is the Black kids that feel safer without the Police. The White kids don't feel safer without the Police. You would think that with the history of school shootings that all the kids would feel safer with a Police presence. Well there you have it, Exhibit A for the damage that the Liberal/Media/Politician Anti-Cop and Racist Cop Brainwashing of Black communities has caused. This is pathetic. Will the Liberal/Media/Politicians ever stop this insanity? Probably not as long as it brings in Democratic votes. The Liberal/Media/Politicians obviously don't care what happens to the Black kids as long as the votes keep coming in.
So the White kids see mass shooters as a threat and the Black kids see police officers as a threat. And you say that the liberal media is responsible for the racial difference. Please explain this causal connection.
The whole Conspiracy Theory type of outrage over Police Racism and Brutality is a complete Paranoid Delusion perpetrated by Liberal/Media/Politicians. Liberal/Media/Politicians are perverting young Black Minds into believing that there is no hope for them because of the Racism that is all around them. They also make young Black Minds fear the Police by telling them that they can be killed just by walking down the street by some Racist Cop. They go further and imply that if you are detained by the Police that you must try to resist and escape because they are surely going to kill you. Then of course Black People that believe these Depraved lies will try to resist and evade the Cops, and then of course some will end up shot and killed. The Liberal/Media/Politicians are directly responsible for the Corrupt Brainwashing they have infected Black communities with. The overall effect of these Liberal/Media/Politician lies is that they have tried to make Black People feel as bad as they possibly can. This is good for Democratic votes.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

SteveKlinko wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:30 pm Liberal/Media/Politicians are perverting young Black Minds into believing that there is no hope for them because of the Racism that is all around them. They also make young Black Minds fear the Police by telling them that they can be killed just by walking down the street by some Racist Cop.
There's something to that.

An anecdote: I have a friend whose son is half black. Like all teens, he gets his news from the internet. He learned about the claims of alleged "racism" in the US by police officers. The boy's an athlete, and he was out jogging when he saw a police car parked across a driveway just ahead of him. He told his dad that in spite of where he was, he felt an instant stab of real terror.

The thing is, there have been NO such cases or allegations of police racism in the city, county or country where he lives. :shock: It's just unheard of for police to do that there. So why was he suddenly struck by terror? And if he was, when there was zero precedent to suggest danger to him, just how fearful are the kids in the US being induced to be?

Maybe there are a few police officers of whom we all should be terrified. I shouldn't wonder if there are. There are probably a few judges, lawyers, doctors or plumbers that should terrify us too. But the underserved communities in the States need more and better policing; not less, plus terror and suspicion. The latter serves no interest at all, except the interest of the crime lords.

So the media ought to be reporting police activity of both positive and negative kinds proportionally to its incidence. But clearly, they're not. And the reasons for that are probably twofold: that bad news sells, and that they have political interests in magnifying one side of the story and hiding the other. In any case, it's clear from their irresponsible emphasis against the police lately that the last thing they actually care about is the long-term benefit of the marginalized communities they claim to champion.
henry quirk

'murica?

Post by henry quirk »

Last edited by henry quirk on Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
henry quirk

'murica?

Post by henry quirk »

Immanuel Can

Re: 'murica?

Post by Immanuel Can »

Great article.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:36 pm Either way, if you have no explanation of cause, you're no help to anyone. You don't know what "remediation" would even be, in the smallest way. So what action can you "recommend"? Nothing.
I am recommending more than you are, so I can't possibly recommending nothing.

I am recommending working towards understanding and solving the problem (by understanding the psychology of officers who violate protocol)

You aren't even recommending this much.