Defunding Police

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Defunding Police

Post by Gary Childress »

I saw a political ad yesterday on YouTube for the Donald Trump campaign. The ad showed a telephone which you heard ringing and then you get a recorded message or something saying you've reached 911 but there are no police because they've been defunded. So if you're a victim of "rape, domestic violence, or home intrusion", etc. you're just going to be left high and dry. (At the end of the phone message it says "someone should be there to help you in five days". And at the end of the ad, it shows a picture of Joe Biden, implying that Biden would be sympathetic to Black Lives Matter's "defund police" campaign.

I don't know what Biden's official position is on BLM's demands but I have to say it was probably one of the most powerful political ads I've yet witnessed--very emotive. You can certainly bet that Donald Trump isn't going to get behind defunding police. And the idea seems absolutely absurd to me. It sort of makes me want to vote for Trump myself this time around.

It seems to me that BLM is really shooting progressive causes in the foot. Back in 2016, a couple of girls with BLM seized control of the microphone at a Bernie Sanders rally, basically shutting it down. Now they're all about defunding police, lending even more credibility to Trump. Ultimately it's good news for Republicans and conservatives that BLM is forcing progressive candidates into embarrassingly absurd and unrealistic campaign positions. Just makes me want to shake my head.

EDIT: Actually here's the ad itself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNav5wO5dh0
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Defunding Police

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

That's what I keep saying. PCturd religious extremism has destroyed the 'left' and played into the hands of neo-'liberal' political parties everywhere.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:33 am That's what I keep saying. PCturd religious extremism has destroyed the 'left' and played into the hands of neo-'liberal' political parties everywhere.
I definitely agree. Between BLM, Antifa and others, it seems very difficult to be a progressive person these days, at least not without appearing to support lunacy. I saw some videos posted of BLM marching into some churches and disrupting services chanting "black lives matter". In one of the videos, people in the congregation were politely and gently trying to calm them down but the protestors would have nothing of it. No idea what the point of barging into churches is about. I guess it's just to prove that the protestors can be complete assholes?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

haven't you heard? not only does the left want to destroy statues, de-fund police, erase history, and censor speech, but they want to destroy churches

https://thepoliticalinsider.com/blm-lea ... -of-jesus/

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/cultu ... tues-jesus

-Imp
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Impenitent wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:16 pm haven't you heard? not only does the left want to destroy statues, de-fund police, erase history, and censor speech, but they want to destroy churches

-Imp
I think BLM is going overboard there.
Last edited by Gary Childress on Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Impenitent wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:16 pm haven't you heard? not only does the left want to destroy statues, de-fund police, erase history, and censor speech, but they want to destroy churches

-Imp
Not 'the left' [redacted]. A tiny sub-group of the EXTREME left!

[Edited by iMod]
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:38 am

Not 'the left' you fuckwit. A tiny sub-group of the EXTREME left!
thank you... smile while you obey

-Imp
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

-Imp
Oh Gosh, what petulant ungrateful imps (little childish brats) always wanting to tear down and destroy everything they have built up. It's like...i one it.. i one it..whah! whah! ...i dont one it, .. i dont one it.

Reminds of when i used to play with lego.

henry quirk

Defunding Police

Post by henry quirk »

In a community where most are self-responsible, self-directing, and willing to self-defend: police aren't needed.

In a community where most are irresponsible, craving direction by others, and aren't willing to self-defend: police can't save the day.

It's a pickle.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:34 pm In a community where most are self-responsible, self-directing, and willing to self-defend: police aren't needed.

In a community where most are irresponsible, craving direction by others, and aren't willing to self-defend: police can't save the day.

It's a pickle.
Well, Henry...I think you're being a little harsh. :wink:

Shouldn't we at least TRY the theory these people are foisting on everyone? But it wouldn't be fair to inflict it on those who never called for defunding the police; that would be paternalistic and oppressive. They can have their police force if they want to.

We should let all the communities that voted for politicians who support the idea have the privilege of achieving their dream -- to defund policing in their districts. Meanwhile, we could transfer officers to districts that like cops.

That way, everybody wins: the police keep their jobs, so they can still feed their families, and are no longer resented for what they do. Places that like cops get as many as they want. And places that hate cops get what they're asking for.

And we'll see who's right; after all, this idea worked so wonderfully in Seattle.
henry quirk

I think you're being a little harsh.

Post by henry quirk »

I'm King Stinker.

I think September, October, November will tell us a lot about who wants what, who gets what, and the general direction Planet Dirt is gonna be goin' in (for the next 100 years).

Pick your side.
Immanuel Can

Re: I think you're being a little harsh.

Post by Immanuel Can »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:14 pm I'm King Stinker.

I think September, October, November will tell us a lot about who wants what, who gets what, and the general direction Planet Dirt is gonna be goin' in (for the next 100 years).

Pick your side.
Well, it might be easy to forget, but September, October and November are just more months for most of the world. America may be the most influential and successful nation, but it's far from the only one, the most populous one, or the one who automatically calls every tune to which everybody else dances.

So it might be true that something important happens then, or it might not. We'll just have to see. But not everybody even owns a "side" of that debate. Centrism's still an option.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:32 pm
henry quirk wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:14 pm I'm King Stinker.

Pick your side.
Well, it might be easy to forget, but September, October and November are just more months for most of the world. America may be the most influential and successful nation, but it's far from the only one, the most populous one, or the one who automatically calls every tune to which everybody else dances.

So it might be true that something important happens then, or it might not. We'll just have to see. But not everybody even owns a "side" of that debate. Centrism's still an option.
I didn't mention America, and -- no -- centrism ain't gonna save you.

'nuff said.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:00 pm
I didn't mention America, and -- no -- centrism ain't gonna save you.

'nuff said.
Well, I don't know any country that's looking to September-October-November for anything in particular, except America. But we can see.

As for centrism, I didn't say it was salvific; I just said it was an option. I didn't even say whether it was one I would take.

However, you may be right. If not by the fall, shortly before or after could be important.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:33 am That's what I keep saying. PCturd religious extremism has destroyed the 'left' and played into the hands of neo-'liberal' political parties everywhere.
Veg, I'm apolitical and have no use for any political system, but I'm not anti-political, in the sense that I oppose anyone else's desire for some agency of force, (government), to run their life for them, or to make them safe, or happy, or whatever else they think a government can do for them.

But being apolitical the concepts of, "left," and, "right," "liberal" and "conservative" seem totally confused to me, especially when comparing how those terms are used in Europe verses the US for example.

All that just ask what you mean by the, "left." I'm assuming you feel that is the right position politically, since you criticize its destruction. What, in your view, if I'm not asking too much, is the correct, "left," position or view. What does it advocate and what does it reject?

I have no intention of debating your view, I'm truly interested in what it is.