Portrait of an American Hero

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 8769
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: Portrait of an American Hero

Post by Immanuel Can »

Impenitent wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:24 pm because her neck is just that wonderful to rub...

maybe not...

-Imp
Bonus points for being funny.
User avatar
RCSaunders
Posts: 2086
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Portrait of an American Hero

Post by RCSaunders »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:28 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:00 pmidentifying with George Floyd, the absolute worst specimen of our race and species.

From: Anonymous letter from UC Berkeley professor concerning BLM/recent events
This is all very convincing and interesting, but it is a croc of shit.
Mr Anonymous is in denial of the facts.
The UK is usually regarded as less racist than the US, ....
What has the UK got to do with anything? Berkeley is in California and the professor is from Africa. There is no mention of the UK anywhere.
User avatar
RCSaunders
Posts: 2086
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:42 pm
Contact:

Re: RC

Post by RCSaunders »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:57 pm Distract from what?

That, sir, is the question, the real question.


why is there an audience?

Why do folks rubberneck?
You confuse a lust for squalor and viciousness with normal curiosity because you have been distracted.
User avatar
Sculptor
Posts: 2179
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:32 pm

Re: Portrait of an American Hero

Post by Sculptor »

RCSaunders wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:34 am
Sculptor wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:28 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:00 pmidentifying with George Floyd, the absolute worst specimen of our race and species.

From: Anonymous letter from UC Berkeley professor concerning BLM/recent events
This is all very convincing and interesting, but it is a croc of shit.
Mr Anonymous is in denial of the facts.
The UK is usually regarded as less racist than the US, ....
What has the UK got to do with anything? Berkeley is in California and the professor is from Africa. There is no mention of the UK anywhere.
What are the enhanced chances of being stopped by the police in the US?
So you are saying that an anonymous professor is from "Africa". really??? Prove it!
User avatar
RCSaunders
Posts: 2086
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Portrait of an American Hero

Post by RCSaunders »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:27 am
RCSaunders wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:34 am
Sculptor wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:28 pm

This is all very convincing and interesting, but it is a croc of shit.
Mr Anonymous is in denial of the facts.
The UK is usually regarded as less racist than the US, ....
What has the UK got to do with anything? Berkeley is in California and the professor is from Africa. There is no mention of the UK anywhere.
What are the enhanced chances of being stopped by the police in the US?
So you are saying that an anonymous professor is from "Africa". really??? Prove it!
Not sure what your point is here, Sculptor, which is OK. I'll put it up to my misunderstanding.

I don know the professor is from Africa, but he praises Nigerians and his language suggests African background. If you know much about Nigeria, I doubt if anyone but another Nigerian would praise what comes from that country.
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 8495
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: RC

Post by henry quirk »

RCSaunders wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:39 am
henry quirk wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:57 pm Distract from what?

That, sir, is the question, the real question.


why is there an audience?

Why do folks rubberneck?
You confuse a lust for squalor and viciousness with normal curiosity because you have been distracted.
Like a dog worryin' a bone, I'm not easily distracted.

a lust for squalor and viciousness...normal curiosity

There is no lust for squalor & viciousness beyond what we're hoodwinked into...

...and...

...what curiosity?

We live in the age of certainty, don't ya know.

We know everything (and what we don't, we dismiss, fictionalize, cram to the back of the closet).

We explain away so much. Endlessly reducin' all things (includin' ourselves) to constituents, meaningless buildin' blocks.

Why do we elevate thugs to sainthood?

We don't.

We, instead, wallow in the muck with them (as directed).
commonsense
Posts: 2442
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: Portrait of an American Hero

Post by commonsense »

RCSaunders wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:49 pm The point of this thread is not the circus or its acts, it's why is there an audience? It's a decadent society that needs to be constantly entertained.
The entertainment must be uplifting. And what could be more uplifting than the narrative of someone less than us. Hence our flawed protagonists.
User avatar
Sculptor
Posts: 2179
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:32 pm

Re: Portrait of an American Hero

Post by Sculptor »

RCSaunders wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:10 pm
Sculptor wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:27 am
RCSaunders wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:34 am
What has the UK got to do with anything? Berkeley is in California and the professor is from Africa. There is no mention of the UK anywhere.
What are the enhanced chances of being stopped by the police in the US?
So you are saying that an anonymous professor is from "Africa". really??? Prove it!
Not sure what your point is here, Sculptor, which is OK. I'll put it up to my misunderstanding.

I don know the professor is from Africa, but he praises Nigerians and his language suggests African background. If you know much about Nigeria, I doubt if anyone but another Nigerian would praise what comes from that country.
I think your comments are odd, even borderline racist.
If he is an academic is may well be a professor of African studies.
The point is that he's not too bright when it comes to the US and its inherent racism.
commonsense
Posts: 2442
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: Portrait of an American Hero

Post by commonsense »

RCSaunders wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:34 am
Sculptor wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:28 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:00 pmidentifying with George Floyd, the absolute worst specimen of our race and species.

From: Anonymous letter from UC Berkeley professor concerning BLM/recent events
This is all very convincing and interesting, but it is a croc of shit.
Mr Anonymous is in denial of the facts.
The UK is usually regarded as less racist than the US, ....
What has the UK got to do with anything? Berkeley is in California and the professor is from Africa. There is no mention of the UK anywhere.
The claim about the UK is simply a comparison. Compared to the US, UK is less racist but more likely to arrest black people. Therefore it is claimed that racism is not a reason that blacks are stopped by police.

This is counterintuitive to the way that biases work.
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 8495
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

"the US and its inherent racism"

Post by henry quirk »

The US is not inherently racist.

There is no systemic/institutional racism in the US.

You've been hoodwinked.
User avatar
RCSaunders
Posts: 2086
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Portrait of an American Hero

Post by RCSaunders »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:36 pm I think your comments are odd, even borderline racist.
My experience has been that those who always think in terms of race are racists. I never mentioned race. I mentioned Africa, and Nigeria, but never race. I have some very good friends from South Africa. If you assume their race, because they are African, you'll be wrong. Race is totally irrelevant. Every individual chooses to be the kind of person they are.
User avatar
Sculptor
Posts: 2179
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:32 pm

Re: Portrait of an American Hero

Post by Sculptor »

RCSaunders wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:00 pm
Sculptor wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:36 pm I think your comments are odd, even borderline racist.
My experience has been that those who always think in terms of race are racists. I never mentioned race. I mentioned Africa, and Nigeria, but never race. I have some very good friends from South Africa. If you assume their race, because they are African, you'll be wrong. Race is totally irrelevant. Every individual chooses to be the kind of person they are.
This is weird...

" I doubt if anyone but another Nigerian would praise what comes from that country."

Why would you say that?
User avatar
RCSaunders
Posts: 2086
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Portrait of an American Hero

Post by RCSaunders »

commonsense wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:50 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:34 am
Sculptor wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:28 pm

This is all very convincing and interesting, but it is a croc of shit.
Mr Anonymous is in denial of the facts.
The UK is usually regarded as less racist than the US, ....
What has the UK got to do with anything? Berkeley is in California and the professor is from Africa. There is no mention of the UK anywhere.
The claim about the UK is simply a comparison. Compared to the US, UK is less racist but more likely to arrest black people. Therefore it is claimed that racism is not a reason that blacks are stopped by police.

This is counterintuitive to the way that biases work.
It means nothing to me. Any form judgment based on anything but what an individual does and chooses to be is bias as far as I'm concerned. I think any attempt to compare different varieties of racial prejudice are absurd. All racial prejudice is stupid--but unfortunately nothing can cure stupidity--no government policy, no social policy, no movement, and no ideology.

There is only one thing any individual can do about racism--don't be a racist. Understand every individual in the world is a unique individual who chooses all they do and what they are.
User avatar
RCSaunders
Posts: 2086
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Portrait of an American Hero

Post by RCSaunders »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:31 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:00 pm
Sculptor wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:36 pm I think your comments are odd, even borderline racist.
My experience has been that those who always think in terms of race are racists. I never mentioned race. I mentioned Africa, and Nigeria, but never race. I have some very good friends from South Africa. If you assume their race, because they are African, you'll be wrong. Race is totally irrelevant. Every individual chooses to be the kind of person they are.
This is weird...

" I doubt if anyone but another Nigerian would praise what comes from that country."

Why would you say that?
There is nothing weird about it, unless you know nothing about Nigeria.

Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa with approximately 206 million people, of very mixed ethnic backgrounds. It is oil rich, but has the highest levels of poverty of any country in the world. There are two primary reasons for the poverty: 1. Nigeria is one of the most corrupt countries in the world, and 2. The oppression of women and society by northern Nigerian Muslim extremists, who prevented Polio vaccination and promote Boko Haram's atrocities. Nigeria continues to be a major source of slavery to this day.

Polio was not eradicated in Nigeria until 2016, but continues to have some of the highest rates of disease in Africa, including: Hepatitis A, Hepatitis E, Malaria, Dengue fever, Yellow fever, Japanese Encephalitis, African Trypanosomiasis, Cutaneous Leishmaniasis, Plague, Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever, Rift Valley fever, Chikungunya, Leptospirosis, Schistosomiasis, Lassa fever, and Meningococcal meningitis.

"Nigerian," is not a race, and only loosely a nationality, neither of which matters. Nigeria is an impoverished, diseased, corrupt, oppressed country. What is there to praise about it?

Human beings are capable of being nostalgic about almost anything, if it is their own experience. If someone was born in Nigeria and had good personal experiences there when young, they might find something to praise about their own home country. I just can't imagine anyone else praising anything about Nigeria. Why is that so strange?
User avatar
Sculptor
Posts: 2179
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:32 pm

Re: Portrait of an American Hero

Post by Sculptor »

RCSaunders wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:44 pm
Sculptor wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:31 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:00 pm
My experience has been that those who always think in terms of race are racists. I never mentioned race. I mentioned Africa, and Nigeria, but never race. I have some very good friends from South Africa. If you assume their race, because they are African, you'll be wrong. Race is totally irrelevant. Every individual chooses to be the kind of person they are.
This is weird...

" I doubt if anyone but another Nigerian would praise what comes from that country."

Why would you say that?
There is nothing weird about it, unless you know nothing about Nigeria.

Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa with approximately 206 million people, of very mixed ethnic backgrounds. It is oil rich, but has the highest levels of poverty of any country in the world. There are two primary reasons for the poverty: 1. Nigeria is one of the most corrupt countries in the world, and 2. The oppression of women and society by northern Nigerian Muslim extremists, who prevented Polio vaccination and promote Boko Haram's atrocities. Nigeria continues to be a major source of slavery to this day.

Polio was not eradicated in Nigeria until 2016, but continues to have some of the highest rates of disease in Africa, including: Hepatitis A, Hepatitis E, Malaria, Dengue fever, Yellow fever, Japanese Encephalitis, African Trypanosomiasis, Cutaneous Leishmaniasis, Plague, Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever, Rift Valley fever, Chikungunya, Leptospirosis, Schistosomiasis, Lassa fever, and Meningococcal meningitis.

"Nigerian," is not a race, and only loosely a nationality, neither of which matters. Nigeria is an impoverished, diseased, corrupt, oppressed country. What is there to praise about it?

Human beings are capable of being nostalgic about almost anything, if it is their own experience. If someone was born in Nigeria and had good personal experiences there when young, they might find something to praise about their own home country. I just can't imagine anyone else praising anything about Nigeria. Why is that so strange?
I know plenty about it. My partner works in international aid.
Your copy&paste argument does not support your claim
Post Reply