Is the "right to vote" a waste time?

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

IvoryBlackBishop

Is the "right to vote" a waste time?

Post by IvoryBlackBishop »

Hypothetically, if one had the opportunity to do one, or the other, for example:

1. Focus on mature career, hobbies, personal goals, life pursuits, higher-level philanthropy and other ambitions:

2. Waste countless hours on an opportunity to "vote" once every 4-8 years for a candidate who is generally less than ideal, with no guarantee that they will be willing or able to pass any legislation which will directly affect or impact their lives or "rights" in any way. (Particularily if something predicated on anti-intellectual, 6th grade reading level propaganda which simply re-enforces a helpless or desperation mindset predicated on emoton over logic and reenforced through echo chambers by circular reasoning - devoid of any basic knowledge of how any government allegely works in theory or in practice to begin with, with most of their rights being entirely imaginary, fictitious, and non-existent in theory or practice to begin with.

Of the two, I think that most people who are sane, rational, or not entirely desperate to begin with would choose the former over the latter, and at the bare basic level, it doesn't even qualify as anything befitting a rational discussion to begin with; and simply boils down to archaic, anti-intellectual mass psychology which is well documented, usually coupled with a 6th grade reading level and little in the way of literacy or comprehension beyond mass media marketed to that demographic to begin with. Basically faith in something which is probably as much of a gamble as betting on a horse race.

This isn't saying the right to vote is entirely "bad" or should be "done away with", or that anyone should HAVE to choose between one or the other to begin with; it's just making a point; which is likely why plenty of thinking men and women who do have the right to vote, but are focused on more important and immediately effectual areas of their life often simply opt not to vote, sometimes viewing the "system" in its current form to be "too broken" entirely for them to waste time on, and overly predicated on fearfulness, irrationality, paranoia, and visceral emotions over reason and logic to begin with; at least at the lowest anti-intellectual common denominators, which from what I've gathered, have always been a potential problem with governments which incorporate "democratic" ideas to being with; this not being a call for abolishing them or replacing them with potentially worse systems, but merely pointing out this reality.
henry quirk

speakin' only for me...

Post by henry quirk »

Waste countless hours on an opportunity to "vote"

What countless hours?

I stay abreast of local, regional, state, national, and global news: not a particularly large daily investment of time.

I go to vote: I usually early-vote (the Saturday before an election day); lines, if any, are short; voting itself is not time-consuming.

When I die, at the well-past-ripe age of *137, I doubt I'll look back and mourn those nonexistent countless hours.

*actually, I plan to be 'round for much longer
Walker

Re: Is the "right to vote" a waste time?

Post by Walker »

It's a waste of time if everyone is required to vote by mail or worse, by e-mail. That would make waaaay too much room for corruption, which means Progressives would win every election.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Walker wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:54 am It's a waste of time if everyone is required to vote by mail or worse, by e-mail. That would make waaaay too much room for corruption, which means Progressives would win every election.
Corrupt elections favor Progressives, you say? What about a president who won with a minority of votes? Corrupt or not?
Walker

Post by Walker »

commonsense wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:58 pm
Walker wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:54 am It's a waste of time if everyone is required to vote by mail or worse, by e-mail. That would make waaaay too much room for corruption, which means Progressives would win every election.
Corrupt elections favor Progressives, you say? What about a president who won with a minority of votes? Corrupt or not?
Electoral college and the principle of Federalism is what that's all about, and that is not corruption.

:D

What about the bastards who are not only looking to impeach the POTUS, again, in a time of world-wide emergency, but to also take advantage of a crisis (aka Alinsky) by holding the nation hostage to their insatiable appetite for needless pork spending?

That is corruption, and you know it.

:wink:

Take note of which political parties govern the cities where coronavirus has concentrated. New York, woefully unprepared. New Orleans. Others. All blue cities. If there was no electoral college and just a popular vote, then the entire country would function as an economic support group for insane Progressive policies. Remember King Georgie?

In fact right now, the entire country is shut down because of the concentrations of virus.

In response to New York's desperate pleas for help, a thousand* bed hospital ship was sent there. It now sits in the harbour with twenty patients, perhaps a few more now, waiting for the computer model to manifest.

* Rounding up.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Trump played the game, fair & square, and won, fair & square.

As for the Electoral College: it could use some revision & simplifyin', but it must stand. It ensures state sovereignty.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

In fact right now, the entire country is shut down because of the concentrations of virus.

If you think about it, the country is shut down cuz of the effect the virus us havin' in places like New York & New Orleans.

Consider: I'm three hours west of N.O. We have the virus here too, but the infections & deaths are low. With sensible precautions, our local economy shouldn't have to shut down (and, in a lot of ways, it hasn't). Put the lid on the hot spots, leave the rest of us alone.
Walker

Post by Walker »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:49 pm In fact right now, the entire country is shut down because of the concentrations of virus.

If you think about it, the country is shut down cuz of the effect the virus us havin' in places like New York & New Orleans.

Consider: I'm three hours west of N.O. We have the virus here too, but the infections & deaths are low. With sensible precautions, our local economy shouldn't have to shut down (and, in a lot of ways, it hasn't). Put the lid on the hot spots, leave the rest of us alone.
I agree. It's like that all over.

Trump will have to make that case, soon, and he will.

Grounds for impeachment, because the case will be made that everyone who dies after that will be because of his decision.

Politics and science rule the day. The so-called science is modeling. Climate science, which is also modeling, likely reflects the same wisdom of interpretation as shutting down the world for corona corona.

And everyone knows the politics in play. Destroy Trump. It's not even disguised.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Walker wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:41 pm
Electoral college and the principle of Federalism is what that's all about, and that is not corruption.

:D

What about the bastards who are not only looking to impeach the POTUS, again, in a time of world-wide emergency, but to also take advantage of a crisis (aka Alinsky) by holding the nation hostage to their insatiable appetite for needless pork spending?

That is corruption, and you know it.

:wink:

Take note of which political parties govern the cities where coronavirus has concentrated. New York, woefully unprepared. New Orleans. Others. All blue cities. If there was no electoral college and just a popular vote, then the entire country would function as an economic support group for insane Progressive policies. Remember King Georgie?

In response to New York's desperate pleas for help, a thousand* bed hospital ship was sent there. It now sits in the harbour with twenty patients, perhaps a few more now, waiting for the computer model to manifest.

* Rounding up.
Yes, you’re right.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:43 pm

As for the Electoral College: it could use some revision & simplifyin', but it must stand. It ensures state sovereignty.
True and true.
RCSaunders

Re: speakin' only for me...

Post by RCSaunders »

henry quirk wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:53 pm Waste countless hours on an opportunity to "vote"

What countless hours?

I stay abreast of local, regional, state, national, and global news: not a particularly large daily investment of time.

I go to vote: I usually early-vote (the Saturday before an election day); lines, if any, are short; voting itself is not time-consuming.

When I die, at the well-past-ripe age of *137, I doubt I'll look back and mourn those nonexistent countless hours.
"Every election is a sort of advance auction sale of stolen goods." ~H. L. Mencken

Anyone who participates in the fraud of elections is supporting the most popular gang of thugs to run the grand protection racket call government. There is no such thing as an honest politician and the lesser of two evils is still evil. Why do people think they are free just because they are allowed to participate in the selection of who will enslave them. The next time some government lacky interferes in my life, I'll remember who put him there.

I'm surprised at you, Henry.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Trump will have to make that case, soon, and he will.

I expect he will.

Reality is, though: it ain't his call, and it's not state or local govs call either.

Americans will make the call.

And: I don't think I'm much different from most Americans when I say, I'll be a good boy till April 30th. After that, well, we'll see.

##

I'm surprised at you, Henry.

Yeah, I don't care.

I pay taxes. Only way I can exercise any legal control over how my money is spent is through the vote. I don't like it, and when I was alone, I was as big a tax-evader as you can find (didn't vote either), but I'm raisin' a kid now. Me, locked up on tax evasion, ain't in his best interest. I pay as little as I can (which still has me puttin' far more into the coffers than I draw out) and I vote (when how my stolen money is spent is on the table, or when I get to throw my support to an obvious hand grenade like Trump).

If Mencken's carcass don't like it he can kiss my saggy, white ass.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

yes the Right of Vote is a waste of time when the society is so corrupt to make that Right a sham.

like in the USSR - one candidate on the ballot, or even here in the "land of the Free" where we have had a equivalent to the Mexican PRI for 50 yrs now - you can vote for the Republicrat or the Democan - hey its all good! use your right to vote for Bore or Gush!!!!!!

whats the big deal.

note that folks that no longer play the game of voting - by not voting - expands more and more each decade.

note that registered Indepents now out number registered Dems or Republicans. (why is this - why would folks register to a catagory that is "not Dem or Rep) - knowing that "Independant" is not a party and so have no candidates to voter for in their "independent" "party"?

note that there has not been a viable - more that 2-4 percent (outside of Reform Party - which was really just the Perot Party - who got 20 percent in 92)- third party - or 4th or 5th since................1930.

why so? state legislatures - made up of Republicrats have fixed the books to make it impossible to allow 3rd parties to be affirmed and registerable (ofr instance in my State - Oklahoma, the Libertarians have been trying to be a viable party for 25 yrs now, they even went to my State's Supreme Court) - finally after getting 70,000 signatures since 3 yrs ago I can now register as a Libertarian (prior i had only the option of "no party" independant.)

No Green Party recognized here, nor Natural Law Party nor Constitution Party - not in my state, not in 1990 not in 2000 not in 2010, and only since 2017 is the Libertarian party finally recognized in my state.

OH - and BTW - in 2000 i planned to vote for Mcain as a write-in, only in 2000 my state made writins invalide and not counted - so in 2000 i could vote for Bore/Gush - or not participate in the sham, i chose the latter in 2000 (I protested by not voting to support the corrupt sham).

I voted for the lozer Kerry over Bush in 2004 (due to Iraqnam)

I voted for the sellout Obama over Marie Antwonette (rich let them eat cake richboy Romney) falling for "hope" of refrom/outsider to kick out corporatism/special interest/k-street lobbists.....................but we know what Obam wining got us in those things - nadda.

so fuck it and fuck voting - the patient is not longer ill she is dead! RIP America.

I refuse to play the voting game anymore.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

There was no voting fraud in Trumps election. there was Russian trolling via interwebs prior to the vote, but the vote was legitimate.

Oh, and BTW the Electoral College determines who wins the general election, and Trump won it.

you don't like the EC, well then ammend the US Constitution Sir.

otherwise your are wasting my time crying over "the popular vote should count" - it don't.

now either accept it or amend my constitution to remove the EC.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:43 pm

I affirm EC in principle. giving the smaller states a voice.

your "revision and simplifen" - is nice wording for asshate gerrymandering undemocratic fuckery.

------------

there has been a simple solution to removing gerrymandering for 200 yrs now (since serveying) - Township/Ranges/sections.

you know "those iittle grids" on the map? - one Section = one State Rep.

One county = one State Sentator.

easy peasy. not brain surgery.

a solution that removes corrupt gerrymandering since 1800............so why it that not the universal standard for all (or any) 50 states?

gee i wonder????????