How new laws due to terrorism are being used to take away free speech...

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Scott Mayers

How new laws due to terrorism are being used to take away free speech...

Post by Scott Mayers »

I'm relatively 'left' but believe that much of the onus of terrorism is NOT simply coming from the extreme right but being exacerbated BECAUSE of the left borrowing tactics of equal extremes.

I just heard on television the news tell me that for missing person cases now, the police will have absolute freedom to dig into anyone's privacy of anyone related to the missing persons! [Saskatchewan, Canada]

Now this was of course the trivial news today. But now all my local media have permitted the "reporters" to speak emotively with expressions of how they almost universally think the law should take away anyone's right to speak EVEN by "indirect" means or to subtle absences that some think SHOULD be spoken.

I get all the abuses that can occur and like to see people voluntarily stop such behavior. But what they are all suggesting could make even me get treated as a 'hate-crimer'. All it would take is someone to be remotely offended.

I just asked here in Canada what the supposed online increase of right-wing conspirators are BEFORE they censor them, as they tend to do here before or while they are reporting the issue. We can't look to see what or how this is being done to determine on our own what the statistical interpreters of these "reports" refer to.

Does anyone know the prevalence of this? I didn't notice it raised here and don't want to discuss the particulars of any terrorist act. But what do you guys here think?

Should we require a special censor class of moderators who can qualify one as committing a "hate" crime? I might even be considered one for JUST what I say here.
Walker

Re: How new laws due to terrorism are being used to take away free speech...

Post by Walker »

You have the urgent tone of Jordan Peterson, for the same reasons.

I think it’s going to be popular all over the place, after all those who know better fade away and the hard lessons of history get buried under the boot, perhaps for future re-discovery.
Scott Mayers

Re: How new laws due to terrorism are being used to take away free speech...

Post by Scott Mayers »

Walker wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:06 am You have the urgent tone of Jordan Peterson, for the same reasons.

I think it’s going to be popular all over the place, after all those who know better fade away and the hard lessons of history get buried under the boot, perhaps for future re-discovery.
I wouldn't want to waste too much time on the issues at all with exception to note how the way the media here (Canada) is appearing more and more in sync with their opinions, AND appear to be those supposedly left of center, yet taking on characteristics of 'opinion' (versus mere reporting) with their OWN more "urgency" of calling for more censure and censorship. I'm also finding it difficult to support any political party as everyone on my side* too has proven to be hypocritical hatemongers disguised as anti-haters. The extremes are penetrating everywhere leaving the actual individuals everywhere confused. It appeals to the extremes by imposing discrete segregation mostly based upon ethnocentric divisions.

All such ethnocentric peoples of any side (or blend) of the political spectrum...and in power...all agree to one idiotic factor: people are assumed to 'own' their genetically linked ancestral group associations. If I am born descendant to a famous artist, I MUST have some gene of some intrinsic nature to be an artist; if I am related to Einstein, I MUST have some intrinsic ingenious mind.

That is the essential root of the problem. Inheritance supremacist versus heritage supremacist.

I am NOT surprised that right-wing extremes may be growing but lately ONLY see the left-wing extremists given they are censoring the supposed evidence or, where it is obvious, pick up stories OF the most desperate acts with predetermined 'wisdom' to know who the perpetrators are before THEY even have any evidence, and screen out what information they discover that proves their prejudices were wrong or suspect.

*[...and I'm betting you think you know what I meant by what 'side' I'm on, right!!?? :?