POSTMODERNISM - AMERICA'S ENEMY WITH

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dachshund
Posts: 274
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:40 pm

POSTMODERNISM - AMERICA'S ENEMY WITH

Post by Dachshund » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:05 pm

POSTMODERNISM - AMERICA'S ENEMY WITHIN


Over the past 20 years the postmodern movement has increasingly infiltrated American colleges and universities. Postmodern philosophy first emerged in the West in the 1960's and 1970's through the work of French intellectuals like Jacques Derrida, Michel Foucault and Jacques Lyotard (among others) all of whom were "conviction" Marxists were forced to renounce the ideology after it became impossible to defend. By the late 1970's, not only had ALL of the predictions of Marx's economic modelling failed to materialise, but in those parts of the world where (Marxist), communist systems of government had been implemented, such as the former Soviet Union and Mao Zedong's Red China and Vietnam and Cambodia, for example, the fact was disclosed that countless millions of individuals had been tortured, imprisoned, starved to death and summarily executed at the hands of their own leaders The enormity of the evil and suffering that was unleashed by communist tyrants like: Vladimir Lenin; Josef Stalin; Mao Zedong; and Pol Pot, in the name of Karl Marx's insane, eschatological vision of a "scientific socialist" utopia is simply incomprehensible. It makes Hitler's Third Reich seem like a teddy bear picnic in comparison.


For the Founding Postmodern philosophers, Derrida and Foucault, none of this mattered. The exposure in 1956 of Stalin's genocidal reign of terror, televised images of the vicious Soviet clampdown in Hungary during 1956, the murder of millions more in Red China during Mao Zedong's Marxist "Cultural revolution", the Prague Spring of 1968, none of this would have been enough for Derrida and those like him to see the light and renounce Marxist ideology as profoundly flawed. I think one of main the reasons for this is that classical Marxist theory comes wrapped up with a very full-bodied eschatology, one that is strikingly similar, in fact, to Christian eschatology. Marx writes of how the world is progressing toward a final/ultimate situation, that is, towards the end of history (the end of time) which will be marked by the achievement of a communist utopia (where all people will be treated fairly and equally, where the State will be abolished and the people will be self-determining, where a great harmony will perfuse all of society). So, just as a Christian has a religious faith in the Scriptural eschatology that promises Christ will come again to Earth at the end of time (the "end of days") and for the righteous there will be life everlasting in the New Kingdom of Heaven. Derrida also has a faith like this , only his faith is secular and not religious . For Derrida and other "true believers" in Marx's vision of a communist utopia; (i.e. in the "religion" of Marxism, if you like) no amount of rational, logical argument or empirical evidence, or even knowledge of moral outrages, atrocious crimes against humanity and that have their origins in Marxist theory (like Pol Pot's Marxist-inspired genocide in Cambodia 1976-1978).


One other probable reason that someone like Derrida (or Foucault, for instance), could never fully let go of his deep attachment to the fundamental precepts of Marxist ideology is blind , seething hatred, or what Nietzsche called "ressentiment". Derrida loathes the West, basically because in the global 20th century game of "Communism vs Capitalism", communism lost BIG TIME. It didn't just get whipped, it got whipped good, and then it had its face thoroughly rubbed in the s**t for good measure. Thus, a world-view that Derrida had cherished, believed in and devoted many years of his life to developing and promoting as an academic/philosopher is now exposed as worthless garbage and banished for evermore from the respectable, mainstream academy in the West. an and he wants to destroy it, to raze it to the ground. He harbours a toxic, bitter resentment of the success of free-market capitalism in the United States and he wants to bring down the whole system. This kind of bitter, fuming, intensely negative and nihilistic mind-set is not uncommon among members of the extreme left, in particular among intellectuals who have ample time on their hands to brood and ruminate upon the righteousness of their socialist/communist principles and the injustices of the cruelly exploitative, EVIL system of Western free-market capitalism that MUST be brought down ( by heroic, spiritual warriors like themselves :shock: ). You also see examples of this "ressentiment" in the form of pimply, 19 year old SJW's on American college campuses, screaming foul-mouthed insults at political targets like visiting Conservative speakers (Charles Murray, one of the authors of "The Bell Curve", is one recent example who comes to mind, he was given the full treatment when he arrived with his host to speak on a campus in Washington), e.g.: "F**k off, you white, f**king, sexist c**t " or "Shut the f**k up, you white, sexist, f**king, male, racist pig ! (and that's just the females :oops:" ) Basically, these hard left SJW students need little provocation to form an angry, mindless mob, they a lust for vengeance and can, on occasion, become physically violent.


To continue.In the 1960's and 1970's Marxist intellectuals in the West who are "true believers", can no longer call themselves Marxists; not if they want to be able to earn a living as an intellectual or working in the Western academy. So Derrida, (who is pretty much the 20th century's founding father of Postmodernism (deconstruction) ) decides that what he will do is set down a new kind of philosophical world-view, namely Postmodernism. In his new theory, it is no longer the old Marxist economic class struggle - the capitalist system's exploitation of the proletariat by the bourgeoisie - that forms the basis of Derrida's detestation and condemnation, rather, it is the entire structure of Western civilisation which, he tells us, is built on the principle of oppression.

From day one, the system was geared to favour white, European (cisgendered, heterosexual) males and the mechanics of tyranny and persecution inform it from top to bottom. It's oppression is rooted in our language and in the very attempt at using logic to understand the world. For Derrida and the postmodern philosophers logic is something that we should not use. In fact, the whole notion of logic and rational argument is anathema to Postmodern thinking; because, to cite Derrida, Western civilisation is pathologically "phallogocentric" ( i.e; phallus: penis and logos: logic/word) in other words, white, European males use logic as a weapon of oppression in the West.


Derrida claimed that language was based on a system of arbitrary signs. There are signifiers - words - and signified - things - but there is no necessary relation between them. Words point, they do not "mean", in the sense that they do not point to a meaning that is there, waiting to be discovered. Meanings are actually culturally generated, which is not far from Marx's belief that all "meanings" and "values" are socially produced, are products of "history", that is, relative, not absolute. Truth, in the sense that the Western mind has pursued it since Plato, does not exist; nor for that matter do the Good or the Beautiful ( I found myself haunted the very same notions actually, while I was watching a video of Andrea Dworkin speaking at a rally a few days ago :lol: ) Seriously. Even worse, all three: Truth, the Good and Beauty, are agents of oppression and have been used to secure and maintain the dominance of one view of the world to the exclusion of all others: that of the DEAD, WHITE, EUROPEAN MALES (DWEM's). This means: Plato; Shakespeare; Descartes; Dante; Newton; Goethe; Beethoven, and all the rest of what we consider to be the "A List" of Western culture. What it also means is that ALL CRITERIA OF TRUTH PRODUCED BY THIS CULTURE ARE SUSPECT.


It seems to me that this an expression of Postmodern belief that has effectively come to be accepted as a fact now in contemporary Western societies like the US, namely, that EVERYTHING we know, believe and understand about ourselves is "socially constructed". As to what is behind this process, Derrida and Co. say, it's just one thing: POWER. Power, and nothing more. How could there be if there is no Truth, but only "truths" relative to the different cultures that produced them? So, just as for Marx, religion, philosophy, literature, art - all culture in fact - was merely part of the "superstructure", of the pleasant facade of Western society camouflaging the ugly truth that everything depended on the "means of production" - which, of course, was in the hands of the hated bourgeoisie - so too for Postmodernists all ideas about Truth are simply many disguises concealing the ugly truth that what is at work here is simply POWER, who has it and how they keep it.


There are a number of other core ideas by which Postmodernist orient themselves and I'll provide a brief outline of them before I proceed to the main point I'd like to make in this post.


The first of these ideas is the unholy trinity of: diversity, equity and inclusion.


Diversity is defined not by opinion, but by race, ethnicity or sexual identity; equity is no longer the laudible goal of equality of opportunity, but the insistence on equality of OUTCOME; and inclusion is the use of identity - based quotas to attain this misconceived state of equity. All of the classic rights of the West are to be considered secondary to these values.


That includes, for instance, freedom of speech - the very pillar of democracy -. The Postmodernists refuse to accept that people of good will can sit down, exchange ideas and reach a consensus. Their world is instead a Hobbesian nightmare, not exactly (as Hobbes said) "a warr of man against man", but a war of identity groups constantly battling each other for power.


Postmodernists don't see ideas that run contrary to their ideology as simply incorrect. They see them as ideas that are integral to the maintaining the dominance of the oppressive, white European, male, Western capitalist patriarchy they wish to destroy, and consider it a MORAL OBLIGATION to stifle and constrain their expression by whatever means are necessary.


Second is the rejection of the free - market - of the very idea that free, voluntary trading benefits everyone. They refuse to acknowledge that capitalism has lifted up hundred of millions of people, so they can for the first time in history afford food, clothing, shelter, transportation - even travel and entertainment. Those classified as poor in the US (and increasingly everywhere else) are now able to meet their basic needs. Meanwhile, in once prosperous Venezuela - until recently the poster - child of the campus radicals - the middle class lines up for toilet paper.


Third, and finally, are the politics of identity. Postmodernist don't believe in the autonomous individual. You're an exemplar of your race, ethnicity, sex, or sexual preference. You're also EITHER a VICTIM ( e.g. one of the exploited working class, a woman, a feminist, a member of a racial or ethnic minority group, say, a native American, a Muslim, an African - American or an immigrant from a non-European nation, a member of a religious minority and so on group) or an OPPRESSOR (e.g. a privileged, straight, white, male, married, businessman). No wrong can be done by anyone in the former group, and no good by the later. These ideas of victimisation do nothing but justify the use of power and incite inter-group conflict. In short, "Old Man Marx" has been resurrected again, this time in the guise of hate-fuelled and destructive identity politics.


The corrupt ideas of the Postmodern movement were hatched in the minds of some very sick ( psychologically disturbed) individuals, individuals consumed with "ressentiment" whose only purpose in life was to lash out in a vicious, nihilistic rage in order to try and destroy all of the valuable, successful and beautiful achievements of Western culture. Why? Simply because they could never rival any of those achievements themselves.


THE DEVASTATING IMPACT OF POSTMODERNISM ON AMERICA'S COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES AND WHO IS FOOTING THE BILL FOR THE DAMAGE


...To be continued...

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8062
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: POSTMODERNISM - AMERICA'S ENEMY WITH

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:26 pm

It's just a shame that you can make a sensible observation that anyone with half a brain would agree with, but then your natural lunacy always ends up poking through and contaminating the whole caboodle. What could have been an excellent thread about the evils of 'postmodernism' in the 70s and how destructive it has been to Western societies instead descended into yet another irrational lunatic fascist rant.

ps. It's a bit of a 'chicken and egg' question. Could Derrida and co. really have had that much power? Or was bat-shit crazy America only too eager to latch onto and corrupt and exploit their ideas?

Dachshund
Posts: 274
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:40 pm

Re: POSTMODERNISM - AMERICA'S ENEMY WITH

Post by Dachshund » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:23 am

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:26 pm
It's just a shame that you can make a sensible observation that anyone with half a brain would agree with, but then your natural lunacy always ends up poking through and contaminating the whole caboodle. What could have been an excellent thread about the evils of 'postmodernism' in the 70s and how destructive it has been to Western societies instead descended into yet another irrational lunatic fascist rant.

ps. It's a bit of a 'chicken and egg' question. Could Derrida and co. really have had that much power? Or was bat-shit crazy America only too eager to latch onto and corrupt and exploit their ideas?
Well,

Postmodern philosophy (Deconstructionism, Poststructuralism) was created by Derrida in 1968. Michel Foucault was the movement's other founding father. Both men were extremely intelligent scholars who had PhD degrees in philosophy and specialist post-graduate training in epistemology. They were also "true believers" in Marxist ideology in their youth and throughout the 1950's and much of the 1960's. After Marxism was universally condemned in academia, they wanted to develop a new form of theory that would allow them to continue using Marxist rationale and concepts ( e.g. the oppression, inequality, social divisiveness and alienation inherent in the of the Western capitalist patriarchy, revolution, collectivism and imperialism, etc.) to attack and undermine the foundations of Western culture, but they wanted to disguise these objectives in a new type of philosophical doctrine that would make it difficult for any critics in the academy to attack and invalidate them. So what they did was to use their high-powered knowledge of epistemology to develop sceptical epistemological strategies and relativist cognitive strategies then incorporate them into their new "Postmodern" (Deconstructivism, Poststructuralist) theory as defence mechanisms. It was a very clever move by Derrida. What he had done was basically deny the existence of Truth, objective/absolute morality, logic, Enlightenment rationality, the Enlightenment notion of knowledge scientific fact and reasoned discourse, of a fixed external reality, the idea of human nature/the autonomous individual, etc. If your are a philosopher who thinks that there are some problems with his Postmodernist theory you can forget about any idea of sitting down to discuss the issues with him over a coffee. Here is a hypothetical dialogue that explains why...



Veggie: Jacque, the way I interpret your philosophy is that it is extremely hostile to Western civilisation and I think that's position has not been justified in any of your work to date?

Derrida: Your interpretation - like all interpretations - is purely subjective. I have a different interpretation about my views on Western civilisation, and it is also purely subjective What makes you think that your interpretation is any better or worse than mine? It's not.


Veggie: What I mean is that I don't think it's right for you to be so very critical of Western society.


Derrida: Right?! I don't have to be "right" about anything, because there is no such thing as right or wrong ! I thought I made that perfectly clear in my book. In any case, what I like most about Deconstruction is that the technique relieves me of any obligation to right ... and simply demands I be interesting Ha ! , Ha !

Veggie: I find that a rather strange idea.


Derrida: Well, you know, whenever you disapprove of any idea, all it does is provide evidence of your narrow mindedness.


Veggie: I read that you were a "true believer" in the Marxist cause during your youth in France; is that a fact or just a trumped-up story?


Derrida: I can't say, because facts do not exist and nor does fiction.


Veggie: Do you think that travelling to discuss you work with American literary philosophers and critics at Yale University recently was a good idea?


Derrida: I'm not sure what you mean, there is no such thing as "Good" or "Bad".


Veggie: Well I was hoping we could have a meaningful, productive, rational and logical discussion about your work Ms Derrida, but I see that you are simply being unreasonable and taking the P*SS. Am I right?


Derrida: No, because there is no such thing as logic, rational concepts, logic or reason - and that's not my fault !


Veggie: Goodbye and good riddance, you nasty communist a**ehole !


Derrida: F**K you very much, you privileged, white, Western, capitalist B**ch !


Get the idea? Postmodernists don't DISCUSS anything. They don't do DIALOGUE.


Regards

Dachshund

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8062
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: POSTMODERNISM - AMERICA'S ENEMY WITH

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:35 am

It's ok. I already know you are completely insane. I suppose that all makes sense to you :|

The scary thing is that you are probably a functioning lunatic, settled into a mundane job, or perhaps retired, ranting about 'dole bludgers living off my taxes', while at the same time living off everyone else's taxes but apparently that's ok because you 'paid your taxes' blah, blah, blah......Stupid old fart.

Dachshund
Posts: 274
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:40 pm

Re: POSTMODERNISM - AMERICA'S ENEMY WITH

Post by Dachshund » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:38 am

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:35 am
It's ok. I already know you are completely insane. I suppose that all makes sense to you :|
What I was trying to say to you was that Derrida and Foucault (the "Fathers of Postmodernism") were both extremely intelligent men. In terms of IQ there's no doubt they would both have rated way above "superior" (120 points); I'd estimate them at somewhere around 140 points, at least. The thing is having a high IQ, - being a "brainiac", an "egghead" - doesn't necessarily make you a nice, well-adjusted person. And I think, for a number of reasons, that Derrida and Foucault were two very negative, nihilist and destructive human beings. Nietzsche, I think would see them as exemplars of the "slave morality" that is grounded in life-denial (as opposed to life - affirmation)

To continue. They were both talented philosophers with an expert knowledge of epistemology, for example. Both of them were very clever at using words (spoken or written) as "weapons" to get the better of an opponent in a debate. And one of the reasons that Postmodernism (Deconstructivism, Poststructuralism) became so tremendously popular among American academics was because it is immensely powerful as a tool or strategy of argument I mean, how, for instance, can you possibly refute a person's (the Postmodernist's) position regarding a certain issue when s/he denies having one ?

Or, finally, imagine you are a high school teacher in a year 10 English class and today you are going to give your first lesson on William Shakespeare to the class. You decide to start thing rolling with some basic facts about the Bard ...

"William Shakespeare", you say, "was born in England in 1564 at Stratford. Shakespeare and his wife, Anne Hathaway, were married he was just 18 years old. It is probable that he wore a gold earring in his ear, there are certainly portraits depicting him wearing one. Some historian believe that Shakespeare wore this earring because he wanted to look hip and edgy and maybe a little bit rakish (wild/"spontaneous). It's interesting that some men are still deciding to wear earrings today for precisely the same kind of reasons !"

There is, BTW, a 14 year old boy who has been diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome in your class. (In his spare time he is a Postmodern literature junkie). He puts his hand up and says to you, "You seem to think what you have just told us about "William Shakespeare" are substantive (i.e; have a firm basis in reality) historical judgements; but can I tell you that you were merely reproducing a "socially constructed" discourse. I hope you don't mind my pointing this out, but, In my opinion,it is important to always deconstruct those kind of truth claims."


Kindest Regards


Dachshund

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8062
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: POSTMODERNISM - AMERICA'S ENEMY WITH

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:54 am

'IQ' tests have long since been discredited as junk science.

Dachshund
Posts: 274
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:40 pm

Re: POSTMODERNISM - AMERICA'S ENEMY WITH

Post by Dachshund » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:28 am

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:35 am
It's ok. I already know you are completely insane. I suppose that all makes sense to you :|

The scary thing is that you are probably a functioning lunatic, settled into a mundane job, or perhaps retired, ranting about 'dole bludgers living off my taxes', while at the same time living off everyone else's taxes but apparently that's ok because you 'paid your taxes' blah, blah, blah......Stupid old fart.
You're the stupid one. Here's how a sharp, taxpaying dude like me can tell.

On your profile photo for this forum there is a question that asks, "Location" ?

In response you write: "Narniabiznus"

The "Narnia" is your preferred way to write "None of your". But this is an example of the Australian "strine" accent i.e; Narrrrrnia

For example, "Maaaaaate, how the fuck arrrrrr ya? Did ya give that bitch the flick? Maaate, she was a ded-set farrrkin mole !

I can also tell you are young and as yet lack the wisdom that come with experience. For instance, you think its hip and edgy to use lots of expletives in your posts. You think it makes you a rebel or "alt" But it's not. Its just juvenile attention-seeking; people know you are a young girl, so you use the strategy of shock in order to draw attention to yourself. What's "cool" on a forum like this, is to use words in a way that successfully communicates your thoughts re the kind of tricky, difficult and complex ideas that tend pop up when people are discussing philosophy. Anglo-Saxon expletives (F**K, C**T, S**T, etc) are very blunt instruments to be wielding habitually on a forum like this. I mean, no one cares at all if you do, it's just that profane language tends to be very effective at dissuading people to respond to the other more interesting ideas you may have set down in that post.

PS: I swear ALL the time, because I have pain in one of my hips. And, to be honest, I love swearing out loud. BUT, I do NOT do it in the presence of other people, because it is (1) disrespectful and (2) extremely uncivilised.

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8062
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: POSTMODERNISM - AMERICA'S ENEMY WITH

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:57 am

Dachshund wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:28 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:35 am
It's ok. I already know you are completely insane. I suppose that all makes sense to you :|

The scary thing is that you are probably a functioning lunatic, settled into a mundane job, or perhaps retired, ranting about 'dole bludgers living off my taxes', while at the same time living off everyone else's taxes but apparently that's ok because you 'paid your taxes' blah, blah, blah......Stupid old fart.
You're the stupid one. Here's how a sharp, taxpaying dude like me can tell.

On your profile photo for this forum there is a question that asks, "Location" ?

In response you write: "Narniabiznus"

The "Narnia" is your preferred way to write "None of your". But this is an example of the Australian "strine" accent i.e; Narrrrrnia

For example, "Maaaaaate, how the fuck arrrrrr ya? Did ya give that bitch the flick? Maaate, she was a ded-set farrrkin mole !

I can also tell you are young and as yet lack the wisdom that come with experience. For instance, you think its hip and edgy to use lots of expletives in your posts. You think it makes you a rebel or "alt" But it's not. Its just juvenile attention-seeking; people know you are a young girl, so you use the strategy of shock in order to draw attention to yourself. What's "cool" on a forum like this, is to use words in a way that successfully communicates your thoughts re the kind of tricky, difficult and complex ideas that tend pop up when people are discussing philosophy. Anglo-Saxon expletives (F**K, C**T, S**T, etc) are very blunt instruments to be wielding habitually on a forum like this. I mean, no one cares at all if you do, it's just that profane language tends to be very effective at dissuading people to respond to the other more interesting ideas you may have set down in that post.

PS: I swear ALL the time, because I have pain in one of my hips. And, to be honest, I love swearing out loud. BUT, I do NOT do it in the presence of other people, because it is (1) disrespectful and (2) extremely uncivilised.
Even if I were Australian I am pretty sure I wouldn't use any of those vulgar expressions :shock:
Age is relative. When I was 12 I thought 26 was old. I suppose to a hundred year old, eighty is a 'young whippersnapper' :lol:
Gaffo, PE, and -1- all 'feel' about 13 to me. I'm sure that is far from reality.
You come across as old and venomous. Is that far off the mark?

Dachshund
Posts: 274
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:40 pm

Re: POSTMODERNISM - AMERICA'S ENEMY WITH

Post by Dachshund » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:33 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:57 am



Even if I were Australian I am pretty sure I wouldn't use any of those vulgar expressions :shock:
Age is relative. When I was 12 I thought 26 was old. I suppose to a hundred year old, eighty is a 'young whippersnapper' :lol:
Gaffo, PE, and -1- all 'feel' about 13 to me. I'm sure that is far from reality.
You come across as old and venomous. Is that far off the mark?
I think that you are, perhaps, telling a "porkie pie" in denying you are an Australian, Veggie; because I am 99% sure that you are. If it's true that you are not, then you are most likely a New Zealander (?)

You are definitely quite young - in your "early-ish" 20's I would guess. I can tell this from the typically headstrong content and combative tone of your posts, both of which suggest to me they have been written by an immature and particularly naughty "little girl."

As for your deduction I that am an "old and venomous" male. I must confess that you have nailed me there, sister. I am actually 55 - years - old (which is, I agree, pretty old) and I am also very prone these days to be quite cantankerous and obnoxious. I must tell you , however that this "normal" to an extent because when men get old they also tend to become quite grumpy. It's just an aspect of human nature. I mean, If you were to ask any average, common or garden variety adult you happened to bump into whether or not they're familiar with the the "grumpy old man" stereotype they'll tell you, "Yes, of course ! "

As far as my behaviour on this forum is concerned. My posts are written chiefly for my own benefit. I write them in order to facilitate a methodical catharsis of strong negative emotions, especially anger and disgust that have become "bottled up" inside me over time. That is probably why you describe what I write as "venomous"; and that's an accurate depiction because what I spit out is indeed "poison". To explain. There are certain issues that really get to me, - issues that make me extremely angry, frustrated and resentful; the march of Postmodernism in the West is one such example. You see,the Postmodernist agenda is, IMO, very straight forward. Postmodernism is a dangerous political ideology, and the way I see it, it has only one prime objective, namely, to destroy Western civilisation. The strategies and tactics it uses to go about doing this are devious, mendacious and treacherous in the extreme. It preys , for example, on the naivety and implicit trust that young people in colleges and universities place in their professors; professors who are not bone fide educators, but political agents who see their principal role as being to indoctrinate their charges with a hateful, nihilistic, violent world-view that implores them to believe that: all of the cultural achievements; all of the fundamental moral and aesthetic values; all of the key institutions and civil mores of their native Western society are rotten and wicked to the core and must therefore be destroyed. Indoctrination that tells 18 and 19 year-old youths that the meaning of life is nothing more than a destructive power game, a battlefield where those groups who have more power crush those groups who have less. It teaches them that everything their culture has ever called beautiful, noble, inspiring, sacred, Good, heroic, valuable, decent and life - affirming is SHIT.

In conclusion, when a philosophical movement (Postmodernism) (1) contemptuously dismisses William Shakespeare as being nothing more than a Dead, White, European, Male; as a Westerner, I take offence. When I learn that the same philosophical movement has (2) induced some clown to install a porcelain, male urinal in one of the West's most prestigious art galleries and then hailed the stunt as representing the creation of artistic masterpiece, I feel disgusted. Then, when this same philosophical movement successfully persuades one of the West's most respected universities, Yale, in the United States, to (3) host a student workshop on the acceptance of bestiality, incest and prostitution, and followed this up by convincing yet another great American university, Harvard, to (4) organise a masturbation workshop entitled "Go F**K Yourself", I feel an urge to "reach for my revolver."

What about you, Veggie ?


Regards


Dachshund

User avatar
Sir-Sister-of-Suck
Posts: 919
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:09 am

Re: POSTMODERNISM - AMERICA'S ENEMY WITH

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:12 am

People have tried to explain to me what post-modernism is 15 different times, yet I still don't understand exactly what it is...Because every-time it's been explained, it's been explained differently. Reminds me of when someone is called a hipster, where everyone just has to chime in to set the record on what an 'actual' hipster is, because that person is apparently not using the term right even though he's already been corrected before.

gaffo
Posts: 2352
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 am

Re: POSTMODERNISM - AMERICA'S ENEMY WITH

Post by gaffo » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:13 am

Dachshund wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:28 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:35 am
It's ok. I already know you are completely insane. I suppose that all makes sense to you :|

The scary thing is that you are probably a functioning lunatic, settled into a mundane job, or perhaps retired, ranting about 'dole bludgers living off my taxes', while at the same time living off everyone else's taxes but apparently that's ok because you 'paid your taxes' blah, blah, blah......Stupid old fart.
You're the stupid one. Here's how a sharp, taxpaying dude like me can tell.

On your profile photo for this forum there is a question that asks, "Location" ?

In response you write: "Narniabiznus"

The "Narnia" is your preferred way to write "None of your". But this is an example of the Australian "strine" accent i.e; Narrrrrnia

For example, "Maaaaaate, how the fuck arrrrrr ya? Did ya give that bitch the flick? Maaate, she was a ded-set farrrkin mole !

I can also tell you are young and as yet lack the wisdom that come with experience. For instance, you think its hip and edgy to use lots of expletives in your posts. You think it makes you a rebel or "alt" But it's not. Its just juvenile attention-seeking; people know you are a young girl, so you use the strategy of shock in order to draw attention to yourself. What's "cool" on a forum like this, is to use words in a way that successfully communicates your thoughts re the kind of tricky, difficult and complex ideas that tend pop up when people are discussing philosophy. Anglo-Saxon expletives (F**K, C**T, S**T, etc) are very blunt instruments to be wielding habitually on a forum like this. I mean, no one cares at all if you do, it's just that profane language tends to be very effective at dissuading people to respond to the other more interesting ideas you may have set down in that post.

PS: I swear ALL the time, because I have pain in one of my hips. And, to be honest, I love swearing out loud. BUT, I do NOT do it in the presence of other people, because it is (1) disrespectful and (2) extremely uncivilised.
I doubt Veg is young, prob middle aged, she is a Kiwi BTW.

gaffo
Posts: 2352
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 am

Re: POSTMODERNISM - AMERICA'S ENEMY WITH

Post by gaffo » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:16 am

Dachshund wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:33 pm

I think that you are, perhaps, telling a "porkie pie" in denying you are an Australian, Veggie; because I am 99% sure that you are. If it's true that you are not, then you are most likely a New Zealander (?)

You are definitely quite young - in your "early-ish" 20's I would guess. I can tell this from the typically headstrong content and combative tone of your posts, both of which suggest to me they have been written by an immature and particularly naughty "little girl."
she is a young soul in an old body Kiwi troll.

why do you bother to reply to her invectives?

gaffo
Posts: 2352
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 am

Re: POSTMODERNISM - AMERICA'S ENEMY WITH

Post by gaffo » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:18 am

Dachshund wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:33 pm


What about you, Veggie ?


Regards


Dachshund
why waste your time asking?

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8062
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: POSTMODERNISM - AMERICA'S ENEMY WITH

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:05 am

gaffo wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:16 am
Dachshund wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:33 pm

I think that you are, perhaps, telling a "porkie pie" in denying you are an Australian, Veggie; because I am 99% sure that you are. If it's true that you are not, then you are most likely a New Zealander (?)

You are definitely quite young - in your "early-ish" 20's I would guess. I can tell this from the typically headstrong content and combative tone of your posts, both of which suggest to me they have been written by an immature and particularly naughty "little girl."
she is a young soul in an old body Kiwi troll.

why do you bother to reply to her invectives?
I don't recall 'sharing' anything about myself with you of all people. I don't appreciate others speaking 'for' me either. And in what way am I a 'troll'? Because I don't agree with you about Israel?

Logik
Posts: 4048
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:48 pm

Re: POSTMODERNISM - AMERICA'S ENEMY WITH

Post by Logik » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:17 am

You can think of post-modernism as the rejection of foundationalism. The rejection of a priori truth.

Without a priori (axiomatic) truth both deduction and induction come to a grounding halt.
No deduction - no logic.
No logic - no arguments.
No arguments - no reason.

Indeed, it is not Derrida's fault that in 10000 years of human history we have been unable to lay down a solid foundation. Derrida is just pointing out that we have build a house of cards! Postmodernism is a symptom not a cause.

If we want to build things that last - this is NOT the way.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests