Energy Politics

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker
Posts: 6685
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Energy Politics

Post by Walker » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:47 pm

Scott Mayers wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:57 am
It is not realistic to expect that we can continue to find new technology that can magically give an unlimited quantity of energy while each 'free' birth acts to TAKE energy in an accelerating and uncontrollable way. We'd need an acceleration upon acceleration of energy to support uncontrolled births.
We have natural gas.*
We have oil.*
We have nuclear.**
We have hydroelectric.***
We have Flash of Lamancha playing with windmills.

Verily God said, <For Christ's sake, I send you an inner tube, a boat, and a helicopter. What the hell else do you want?>

* And we have environmentalist kooks.
** And we have kooky fear of a movie, The China Syndrome.
*** And we have California kooks not building water containment so that trillions of gallons of valuable rain water can wash into the ocean and be wasted, in a desert that needs an oasis or two, or more.


Conclusion: It's a kooky world.

:lol:

FlashDangerpants
Posts: 1780
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: Energy Politics

Post by FlashDangerpants » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:18 pm

Walker wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:47 pm
Scott Mayers wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:57 am
It is not realistic to expect that we can continue to find new technology that can magically give an unlimited quantity of energy while each 'free' birth acts to TAKE energy in an accelerating and uncontrollable way. We'd need an acceleration upon acceleration of energy to support uncontrolled births.
We have natural gas.*
We have oil.*
We have nuclear.**
We have hydroelectric.***
We have Flash of Lamancha playing with windmills.

Verily God said, <For Christ's sake, I send you an inner tube, a boat, and a helicopter. What the hell else do you want?>

* And we have environmentalist kooks.
** And we have kooky fear of a movie, The China Syndrome.
*** And we have California kooks not building water containment so that trillions of gallons of valuable rain water can wash into the ocean and be wasted, in a desert that needs an oasis or two, or more.


Conclusion: It's a kooky world.

:lol:
Oh dear. Taken straight from the ARPA-E web site where they publish details of the projects they fund ... which I linked for you already...
HolosGen, LLC – Manassas Park, VA
Transportable Modular Reactor by Balance of Plant Elimination – $2,278,200
The HolosGen team seeks to develop a transportable, gas-cooled nuclear reactor with load following ability. By using a closed Brayton cycle engine with components connected directly to the reactor core, the team expects to simplify plant construction, leading to lower costs and shorter commissioning times. The reactor can be packaged in a standard shipping container, making it highly portable and reducing cost. The team aims to demonstrate the viability of this concept using multi-physics modeling and simulation tools validated by testing a non-nuclear prototype.
Yellowstone Energy – Knoxville, TN
Reactivity Control Device for Advanced Reactors – $2,599,185
The Yellowstone Energy team seeks to develop a new reactor control technology to enhance passive safety and reduce costs for its molten salt reactor and other designs. Materials embedded in the control rods will vaporize at elevated temperatures, producing a vapor that captures neutrons and slows reaction rates, even in the absence of external controls. The team will use simulation tools to determine the effectiveness of the control device and conduct a techno-economic analysis at the plant level to determine cost effectiveness.
Those are two of a bundle of 10 such investments - all ground-breaking nuclear energy technology. ARPA-E is a serious scientific organisation that assigns funds to projects on the basis of scientific assessment of the project's viability, along with the probability that one or more successful projects within any given class would have a significant beneficial outcome.

You have exhibited extraordinary ignorance - to the point where you are making up your own shit to embellish the report you read on one website while not bothering to check it against the other one I gave you. You could easily be detecting your own mistakes without forcing me to treat you like a man-baby if only you weren't such a monster of bias and bullshit.

Walker
Posts: 6685
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Energy Politics

Post by Walker » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:15 pm

You sound like a bad man.

*

The New Obtuseness

“Call it the “New Obtuseness,” this willful refusal to attribute to a statement, position, or policy the most obvious and manifest intent and, instead, to deliberately fold, spindle, and mutilate it into something unreasonable, unlikely, and unrecognizable that nevertheless conforms to the liberal elite narrative.”

https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtsch ... e-n2542492

FlashDangerpants
Posts: 1780
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: Energy Politics

Post by FlashDangerpants » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:28 pm

Please keep your culture warrior bullshit to your own side of the Atlantic. This is how you keep getting your nonsense deleted.

Walker
Posts: 6685
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Energy Politics

Post by Walker » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:36 pm

So you're the rat. :lol:

No, actually you're trying to twist the thread into some weird direction based on your own personal links and opinions, rather than follow the intent of the thread, which has been stated, namely, the physics ain't there for your windmill games, Cysco.

I should report you to the authorities and have your ass thrown off my thread.

:D

Maybe you just don’t like folks on your lawn.

By retaining perspective you will observe that you are just a contributor here, like everyone else, fancy pants.

You forget who started this thread, and who has the say of intent.

It shirley ain't you.

That must rankle, given your childish attitude.

So, thanks for the links, but you're shunned from the thread but this contributor.

:)

FlashDangerpants
Posts: 1780
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: Energy Politics

Post by FlashDangerpants » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:39 pm

Walker wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:36 pm
So you're the rat. :lol:
No, I don't think I've ever been the one reporting you. I just understand why your stuff gets deleted. You retort to facts that don't work in your favour with ad hominem complaints that you don't like the person who told you about them.
Walker wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:36 pm
No, actually you're trying to twist the thread into some weird direction based on your own personal links and opinions, rather than follow the intent of the thread, which has been stated, namely, the physics ain't there for your windmill games, Cysco.
Well let's recap and see if that is true.

You provided a link to an article and one short quote from it. I read that article and it seemed to me that it had some failings. I don't see any reason why the failings of that article in full shouldn't be part of the discussion that links to it.

But within the tiny fraction you quoted were some questionable claims. A tenfold increase in wind and solar above the levels of output they presently offer is clearly not impossible because we have plenty of space to create ten times as many of those devices as we presently use. No laws laws of physics need alteration for that to be true, these are laws of geometry. The same way that the guy blithely comments that aviation engines are near their physical limits which is blatantly untrue and you can google scramjets and hypersonic travel to see that for yourself. The claim that goal specific funding rarely brings about important new discoveries is a misreading of history.

Then later you invoked the competition to build a hydro-electric power station at Niagara as if this is what spurred the invention of hydro electric power. Of course it was not, hydro power was a decades old invention by then. Nevertheless, that competition is of the sort that agencies such as DARPA and ARPA-E routinely run. Your opposition to government agencies doing a thing when private money is not seems ideological.

You also invoked a number of inventions you would like to see instead of the ones ARPA-E promotes. I gave you links to the plausible versions that aren't based on cartoons of ARPA-E doing that sort of thing. You could have checked their website for yourself and seen that they are doing what you want done. Whether that would have made you demand other, less possible stuff for ideological reasons, or actually change your mind is moot.

I gave you a couple more links again to two of the ten radical new nuclear designs that ARPA-E is funding because you just ignored the content of all the links I gave you previously. You seem to despise researched facts and prefer truthiness. You responded yet again (incorrectly) that I have some utra-leftie agenda against nuclear power (I am in favour of nuclear power: modern reactor designs are safe and reliable, they only suck because of the cost overruns).

And then you just quoted off some right wing blog the absurd complaint that anyone who uses nasty old facts against your right wing opinions is a dirty treacherous lefty being obtuse.

That was you derailing your own thread. All my contributions have been directly responding to things you linked or wrote.
Walker wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:36 pm
I should report you to the authorities and have your ass thrown off my thread.
Be my guest.
Walker wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:36 pm
By retaining perspective you will observe that you are just a contributor here, like everyone else, fancy pants.

You forget who started this thread, and who has the say of intent.
If you want to be the mod of your own forum, make your own forum. If you just want a place to lie without consequence, stay in bed.

Walker
Posts: 6685
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Energy Politics

Post by Walker » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:29 pm

You're definitely chasing windmills of your own creation.

Fact is, you don't have the physics for solar, or wind.

And so, the taxpayer investment in these technologies is BS.
Private, unsubsidized companies?
Lose all the money you want, until you are no more.

:)

Spare us more of your repetition, if you please.

Walker
Posts: 6685
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Energy Politics

Post by Walker » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:41 pm

FlashDangerpants wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:39 pm
If you want to be the mod of your own forum, make your own forum.
Actually, AMod has encouraged us to moderate the threads that we begin.

You know what that means?

It means you're wrong, yet again.

Go troll some other thread.
fdp wrote:No, I don't think I've ever been ...
:lol:

rat can't remember for sure

FlashDangerpants
Posts: 1780
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: Energy Politics

Post by FlashDangerpants » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:07 am

Walker wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:41 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:39 pm
If you want to be the mod of your own forum, make your own forum.
Actually, AMod has encouraged us to moderate the threads that we begin.

You know what that means?

It means you're wrong, yet again.

Go troll some other thread.
fdp wrote:No, I don't think I've ever been ...
:lol:

rat can't remember for sure
I notice you are still avoiding all the factual links I provided to information that demonstrates errors in your working. We both can see your desperation, but we both already knew that's where our discussions always go, so I'm hardly inclined to care. Plus, I am now having more fun with Handjob7's withcraft thing ... hey, there's a man here who can fix all the energy problems with some very tiny pyramids, so you can just ask Google or somebody to give him all the money and he can have riches to go with his genius.

Feel free to report me to a mod, if it helps I am willing to call you some very vile names to assist your case. You have willfully derailed your own thread to avoid discussion of it, so it might as well get locked anyway

Like I said, I don't believe I have ever reported any of your posts, the only one I remember reporting ever is the one where bill or bob posted the epilepsy gif just to be a wanker, and I asked him nicely to edit it himself before I did so. But if I ever did report you, you would have deserved it.

Walker
Posts: 6685
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: 'POMPOUS LITTLE TWIT'

Post by Walker » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:10 am

Screw your observations.

Hey, this guy sounds like me.

:lol:

'POMPOUS LITTLE TWIT': Greenpeace Co-Founder Unloads On Ocasio-Cortez
https://www.dailywire.com/news/44167/po ... n-saavedra

Moore responded: "Pompous little twit. You don’t have a plan to grow food for 8 billion people without fossil fuels, or get the food into the cities. Horses? If fossil fuels were banned every tree in the world would be cut down for fuel for cooking and heating. You would bring about mass death."

The politician he is addressing is a wide-eyed, naïve socialist with all kinds of big political plans for energy, and lots of the left getting on her Kookie Train.

FlashDangerpants
Posts: 1780
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: SCROTUM FACED ANCIENT TWAT

Post by FlashDangerpants » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:29 am

We're aware of her over here, although slightly bemused as to what makes her so important to any of you. She's a neophyte learning the basics of politics who seems to be out of her depth, American celebrity hype culture appears to be feeding on the young again.

You can say screw this and screw that about anything, it's still true that I pointed directly to sources for your errors and you have given up on your own stupid thread. All you have left is complaining about young 'uns that you hate mostly because they won't be dead as soon as you will.

Walker
Posts: 6685
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Energy Politics

Post by Walker » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:54 am

Screw Green.

The Politics of Green.

Q: Why must we kill the birds?
A: Because killing them will never supply our energy needs.
And, because of fools.

Q: But … that doesn’t make sense.
A: It’s not about sense and sensibility.
It’s about the Politics of Green, aka Climate Politics.

The Avian Killing Fields
http://www.greenwichneighborsunited.com ... lers-2.jpg

FlashDangerpants
Posts: 1780
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: Energy Politics

Post by FlashDangerpants » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:00 pm

Walker wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:54 am
Screw Green.

The Politics of Green.

Q: Why must we kill the birds?
A: Because killing them will never supply our energy needs.
And, because of fools.

Q: But … that doesn’t make sense.
A: It’s not about sense and sensibility.
It’s about the Politics of Green, aka Climate Politics.

The Avian Killing Fields
http://www.greenwichneighborsunited.com ... lers-2.jpg
More animals die on roads than from windmills. You arguing for a ban on all roads, or just the unsightly ones that ruin a fat orange dude's enjoyment of his golf course?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests