Why Politicians Deny Facts

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

philosopher

Why Politicians Deny Facts

Post by philosopher »

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals ... nformation

This article investigates why politicians (and their voters as well) deny scientific facts when it is against their own political opinions.

This is how I interpret the facts:

Summed up, they deny facts not because they are stupid, but because they want to lie to the voters in order to get re-elected and give shit about the actual state of the world we live in.

They KNOW about the man-made climate change. They KNOW about the damage workfare state cause to people who are disabled, as opposed to the former welfare state. They KNOW that when you give people guns, there will be more or serious crimes.

The thing is, they ain't going to do anything about it because it will ruin their political power. And the voters who got them into office in the first place, don't want to pay extra taxes to fulfill the requirements of having to do what science tells is neccessary. There are far too many interests at stake to change the political course, because you will have to change your political opinion then. Its not that the facts can be debated. Its that the facts are inconvenient.

The scientists who wrote this article offered a solution: To have a dialogue with the politicians to tell them what and why they need to change their attitude to facts.

What else could be done to avoid fact-denial? Should we outlaw it?
*deleted other suggestion*
Last edited by philosopher on Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FlashDangerpants

Re: Why Politicians Deny Facts

Post by FlashDangerpants »

philosopher wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:45 pm I have an alternative solution: Sentence anyone who oppose Scientific Facts to Death and execute them immediately!
This, again?
Are you impervious to learning from your mistakes?
philosopher

Post by philosopher »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:48 pm
philosopher wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:45 pm I have an alternative solution: Sentence anyone who oppose Scientific Facts to Death and execute them immediately!
This, again?
I'm sick and tired of the fact-deniers!
FlashDangerpants

philosopher wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:49 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:48 pm
This, again?
I'm sick and tired of the fact-deniers!
Others may be sick and tired of you constantly demanding death for everyone you don't like. It was irritating first time, absurd the second, now you are just a hopeless case.
philosopher

Post by philosopher »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:51 pm Others may be sick and tired of you constantly demanding death for everyone you don't like.
You have to pull the weed with all its roots, to get rid of it.

If you have any other suggestions of what might work to get rid of fact-denial, please share it.
FlashDangerpants

Why not try something sane instead of once more advocating a giant slaughter? You have so far wished death upon an outrageous number of people, none of whom deserve it. You have issued apologies for it. But here we are yet again, with you being a deathmonger as usual, just because of your childish addiction to hyperbole.

If you want to discsuss real problems like a real philosopher, quit endlessly repeating stupid mistakes.
philosopher

Post by philosopher »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:23 pm Why not try something sane instead of once more advocating a giant slaughter? You have so far wished death upon an outrageous number of people, none of whom deserve it. You have issued apologies for it. But here we are yet again, with you being a deathmonger as usual, just because of your childish addiction to hyperbole.

If you want to discsuss real problems like a real philosopher, quit endlessly repeating stupid mistakes.
Now that I've had some time to calm down and think things over, I'm truely sorry for what I wrote today, and what I wrote back then.

It's just kind of an "allergic" reaction to anger over news stories.

I'm sorry. But unfortunately I can't promise it won't happen again.

I'm not really pro-death penalty, except when I am, which is a contradiction. Its irrational, I know. Both DP and "logical" contradictions.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Just kill them, no trial, no death sentence. Why overcomplicate things.

Once you bring them to trial, you are bringing lawyers on board and that's the death sentence of your movement.

No revolutionary leaders ever had lawyers on their teams. Lenin, Stalin, Marx, Hitler, Washington, Mao, Pot Pol, Durrant and Fingovits, Robespierre: none of them tried their revolution to succeed on a vehicle of merely legal concepts.

Edit: I forgot from the list Che Guevarra and Fidel Castro. My apologies.
Last edited by -1- on Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-1-

Post by -1- »

philosopher wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:45 pmWhy Do Politicians Deny Facts?
You are unfair. Politicians are not the only ones who deny facts. Everyone does. My girlfriend does. I do. My parish priest does. My boxer Spaniel does. My teachers do. My students do. My children do. My grandchildren do. My spiritual advisor does. My financial planner does. My calendar does. My boss does. My subordinates do. My laterally assigned management level employees do. HR does. Management does.

Avertisements do. Salesmen do. Doctors do.

Hookers don't. "I want your money. Gimme your money. Gimme all your money. Just give me money."

Pushers do. Cops do. Judges do. God does. Fish do. Table legs do.

In fact, if you want to point out a liar in any a human group, just point at the ones whose lips are moving.
philosopher

Post by philosopher »

-1- wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:02 pm Just kill them, no trial, no death sentence. Why overcomplicate things.
That is illegal, and worse: It's immoral to punish someone without giving them a fair trial.
-1- wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:02 pm Once you bring them to trial, you are bringing lawyers on board and that's the death sentence of your movement.
I don't want such a movement to stay.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Every believer in "man made" global warming who continues to exhale is the epitome of hypocrisy...

-Imp
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Impenitent wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:15 pm Every believer in "man made" global warming who continues to exhale is the epitome of hypocrisy...

-Imp
The problem isn't exhaling but rather women who fart too much. At least men will admit it when they let one go but women just give you that innocent look. Politicians will want to blame cows but the real problems is women who refuse to admit what they do and remain part of the problem.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/samlemonic ... 5763ee78a9
Farts are funny. Global warming is not.Unfortunately, methane is a big contributor to the greenhouse effect, helping to trap heat within Earth’s atmosphere and contributing to climate change. Carbon dioxide usually gets the blame for global warming, but methane is about 85 times more powerful when it comes to trapping heat, although it breaks down faster than carbon dioxide.

Now, a new calculation of methane produced by cows, swine and other livestock shows we may have underestimated their inputs. Researchers from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the Joint Global Change Research Institute and the U.S. Department of Energy say the previous figures, which served as a basis for the 2006 Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, were off by 11%.
philosopher

Post by philosopher »

Impenitent wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:15 pm Every believer in "man made" global warming who continues to exhale is the epitome of hypocrisy...

-Imp
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... pledges-un

This is why I HATE climate change deniers, and want them punished!
Walker

Post by Walker »

Don't be hater ... be a participator.

:lol:

What’s called “Climate Deniers” are romance deniers.

What’s called Climate Science is computer models.
Computer models are stories.

Many models of the future exist.
That computer models do exist is indeed a fact, but the tales that they tell are not facts.

The only truth in climate prognostication is the probability of any particular model correlating with a reality that only exists in a distant time and place.

The reality of a distant time and place is also the setting for romance novels.

They say if you loan money to a saint don’t ever expect to see it again.
Likewise, don’t ever expect to see a return on any loan (climate funding) when romance is the collateral.
-1-

Post by -1- »

philosopher wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:27 pm
-1- wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:02 pm Just kill them, no trial, no death sentence. Why overcomplicate things.
That is illegal, and worse: It's immoral to punish someone without giving them a fair trial.

Sez someone who has already condemned them to death.
-1- wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:02 pm Once you bring them to trial, you are bringing lawyers on board and that's the death sentence of your movement.
I don't want such a movement to stay.

So you don't want a quick end to your movement... you don't want the movement to stay...
You fighting your self into a corner often?