Political correctness and snowflake generation

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Davyboi
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:56 pm

Re: Political correctness and snowflake generation

Post by Davyboi » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:47 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:44 am
A snowflake is defined as someone who can be triggered by the words of someone else
That definition applies to a very significant proportion indeed of the global population
One should therefore be very careful when labelling someone as such as it might also apply to them
Why are they called SNOWFLAKES? mmm let me take a rough guess? Because they are fragile... idiots who get upset and take offence at things that don't really matter!

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8708
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Political correctness and snowflake generation

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:08 pm

Davyboi wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:36 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:08 pm
commonsense wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:48 pm


The insult may be just as you say. On the other hand, the real complaint may be that Apu is portrayed as relatively unskilled and uneducated and he is easily recognizable as brown.

The offense may be exactly as you say. On the other hand, the real objection may be that Apu is the sole representative of brown people, i.e. there aren't any characters who, unlike Apu, are doctors, bankers, attorneys, accountants or engineers and such.

The archetype may be harmless. People from India may be hypersensitive. On the other hand, the problem might be the subtle message (so subtle as to be unnoticed by people like you and me) that all browns resemble Apu. Certainly, Apu is brown, like many Indians are. He speaks with a foreign accent, like many people who speak ESL do.

Apu also has a low-paying job. He has, most likely, little job satisfaction. He is a source of amusement, as most cartoon characters should be, rather than admiration, as most role models should be.

Homer, too, is a buffoon. There's no shotage of unsavory characters who are white, but their treatment is balanced by others in the picture. Homer is accompanied by whites who are a CEO, a teacher, a member of the clergy a friendly cop, et al.

I don't pretend to know what upsets anyone from India. Their sole reason for claiming to be offended may be as you described above.

On the other hand, their objections could be completely understandable. Their complaints may even be the same as ours would be under similar circumstances. I really don't know. Neither do you. The difference may be that I assume innocence on the part of others.

I am not feeling offended on behalf of others. I actually have no dog in the Indian fight. It's just that I was raised to be polite.
Are you really that thick? This is all a bit rich coming from someone who murdered people because they were Asian (but this is entirely typical of PC hypocrisy).
[/qs
What a lot of crap! How is APU a racist character? The Simpsons is built on stereotyping, every character is a stereotype! If you had the brains to understand the program you would realise this! So what, a certain minority of people are offended, AND? suddenly Apu isn't to be part of the show? It's an insult!
Wy are you writing this to me?

Davyboi
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:56 pm

Re: Political correctness and snowflake generation

Post by Davyboi » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:17 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:08 pm
Davyboi wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:36 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:08 pm

Are you really that thick? This is all a bit rich coming from someone who murdered people because they were Asian (but this is entirely typical of PC hypocrisy).
[/qs
What a lot of crap! How is APU a racist character? The Simpsons is built on stereotyping, every character is a stereotype! If you had the brains to understand the program you would realise this! So what, a certain minority of people are offended, AND? suddenly Apu isn't to be part of the show? It's an insult!
Wy are you writing this to me?
Have I replied to the wrong person? Are you a snowflake?

commonsense
Posts: 1614
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: Political correctness and snowflake generation

Post by commonsense » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:21 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:08 pm
commonsense wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:48 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:12 am

Oh please. Who is 'offended'? Stop being 'offended' 'on behalf of' others.
Apu is a 'racist stereotype' because he is brown, like most Indians tend to be, and he speaks with an Indian accent (which Indians who have English as a second language tend to do)?? PCturds are so racist, they think that portraying a brown person as brown is 'offensive and insulting'. How racist and insulting is that? They are so up themselves that with a bit of luck they will eventually disappear up their own arses.
I think I loathe PCturd hypocrites more than anyone else on the planet. AAAAGGHHHH!
The insult may be just as you say. On the other hand, the real complaint may be that Apu is portrayed as relatively unskilled and uneducated and he is easily recognizable as brown.

The offense may be exactly as you say. On the other hand, the real objection may be that Apu is the sole representative of brown people, i.e. there aren't any characters who, unlike Apu, are doctors, bankers, attorneys, accountants or engineers and such.

The archetype may be harmless. People from India may be hypersensitive. On the other hand, the problem might be the subtle message (so subtle as to be unnoticed by people like you and me) that all browns resemble Apu. Certainly, Apu is brown, like many Indians are. He speaks with a foreign accent, like many people who speak ESL do.

Apu also has a low-paying job. He has, most likely, little job satisfaction. He is a source of amusement, as most cartoon characters should be, rather than admiration, as most role models should be.

Homer, too, is a buffoon. There's no shotage of unsavory characters who are white, but their treatment is balanced by others in the picture. Homer is accompanied by whites who are a CEO, a teacher, a member of the clergy a friendly cop, et al.

I don't pretend to know what upsets anyone from India. Their sole reason for claiming to be offended may be as you described above.

On the other hand, their objections could be completely understandable. Their complaints may even be the same as ours would be under similar circumstances. I really don't know. Neither do you. The difference may be that I assume innocence on the part of others.

I am not feeling offended on behalf of others. I actually have no dog in the Indian fight. It's just that I was raised to be polite.
Are you really that thick? This is all a bit rich coming from someone who murdered people because they were Asian (but this is entirely typical of PC hypocrisy).
I did not murder people. I killed one person. I killed him because I was afraid he would kill me, not because of his race.

I agree with you that there is something called PC hypocrisy, but I don't know much about it. From what you gave as a typical example (i.e. me), I gather that it entails identifying as being PC while being un-PC. This characterization does not fit me, but it seems to be what you are saying.

As I said, it made no difference to me that my victim was Asian. Races are like handedness. Some are left-handed and some are right-handed.

You've mentioned PC hypocrisy before. Would you be willing to say a little more, perhaps a few examples?

Davyboi
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:56 pm

Re: Political correctness and snowflake generation

Post by Davyboi » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:32 pm

commonsense wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:21 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:08 pm
commonsense wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:48 pm


The insult may be just as you say. On the other hand, the real complaint may be that Apu is portrayed as relatively unskilled and uneducated and he is easily recognizable as brown.

The offense may be exactly as you say. On the other hand, the real objection may be that Apu is the sole representative of brown people, i.e. there aren't any characters who, unlike Apu, are doctors, bankers, attorneys, accountants or engineers and such.

The archetype may be harmless. People from India may be hypersensitive. On the other hand, the problem might be the subtle message (so subtle as to be unnoticed by people like you and me) that all browns resemble Apu. Certainly, Apu is brown, like many Indians are. He speaks with a foreign accent, like many people who speak ESL do.

Apu also has a low-paying job. He has, most likely, little job satisfaction. He is a source of amusement, as most cartoon characters should be, rather than admiration, as most role models should be.

Homer, too, is a buffoon. There's no shotage of unsavory characters who are white, but their treatment is balanced by others in the picture. Homer is accompanied by whites who are a CEO, a teacher, a member of the clergy a friendly cop, et al.

I don't pretend to know what upsets anyone from India. Their sole reason for claiming to be offended may be as you described above.

On the other hand, their objections could be completely understandable. Their complaints may even be the same as ours would be under similar circumstances. I really don't know. Neither do you. The difference may be that I assume innocence on the part of others.

I am not feeling offended on behalf of others. I actually have no dog in the Indian fight. It's just that I was raised to be polite.
Are you really that thick? This is all a bit rich coming from someone who murdered people because they were Asian (but this is entirely typical of PC hypocrisy).
I did not murder people. I killed one person. I killed him because I was afraid he would kill me, not because of his race.

I agree with you that there is something called PC hypocrisy, but I don't know much about it. From what you gave as a typical example (i.e. me), I gather that it entails identifying as being PC while being un-PC. This characterization does not fit me, but it seems to be what you are saying.

As I said, it made no difference to me that my victim was Asian. Races are like handedness. Some are left-handed and some are right-handed.

You've mentioned PC hypocrisy before. Would you be willing to say a little more, perhaps a few examples?
Hey VEGETARIAN, leave commonsense alone! You suddenly decided to accuse him of being a racist now? You idiot!!! Since when did you think you have the right to try and intimadate him and ridicule his opinion? You Muppet!

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8708
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Political correctness and snowflake generation

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:33 pm

Davyboi wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:17 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:08 pm
Davyboi wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:36 pm


Wy are you writing this to me?
Have I replied to the wrong person? Are you a snowflake?
Go back and read the thread. I don't know what's wrong with this website, but everything is showing up as a 'quote'.

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8708
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Political correctness and snowflake generation

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:35 pm

Davyboi wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:32 pm
commonsense wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:21 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:08 pm

Are you really that thick? This is all a bit rich coming from someone who murdered people because they were Asian (but this is entirely typical of PC hypocrisy).
I did not murder people. I killed one person. I killed him because I was afraid he would kill me, not because of his race.

I agree with you that there is something called PC hypocrisy, but I don't know much about it. From what you gave as a typical example (i.e. me), I gather that it entails identifying as being PC while being un-PC. This characterization does not fit me, but it seems to be what you are saying.

As I said, it made no difference to me that my victim was Asian. Races are like handedness. Some are left-handed and some are right-handed.

You've mentioned PC hypocrisy before. Would you be willing to say a little more, perhaps a few examples?
Hey VEGETARIAN, leave commonsense alone! You suddenly decided to accuse him of being a racist now? You idiot!!! Since when did you think you have the right to try and intimadate him and ridicule his opinion? You Muppet!
You are clearly retarded and you are stuffing up the 'quote' function.

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8708
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Political correctness and snowflake generation

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:37 pm

commonsense wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:21 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:08 pm
commonsense wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:48 pm


The insult may be just as you say. On the other hand, the real complaint may be that Apu is portrayed as relatively unskilled and uneducated and he is easily recognizable as brown.

The offense may be exactly as you say. On the other hand, the real objection may be that Apu is the sole representative of brown people, i.e. there aren't any characters who, unlike Apu, are doctors, bankers, attorneys, accountants or engineers and such.

The archetype may be harmless. People from India may be hypersensitive. On the other hand, the problem might be the subtle message (so subtle as to be unnoticed by people like you and me) that all browns resemble Apu. Certainly, Apu is brown, like many Indians are. He speaks with a foreign accent, like many people who speak ESL do.

Apu also has a low-paying job. He has, most likely, little job satisfaction. He is a source of amusement, as most cartoon characters should be, rather than admiration, as most role models should be.

Homer, too, is a buffoon. There's no shotage of unsavory characters who are white, but their treatment is balanced by others in the picture. Homer is accompanied by whites who are a CEO, a teacher, a member of the clergy a friendly cop, et al.

I don't pretend to know what upsets anyone from India. Their sole reason for claiming to be offended may be as you described above.

On the other hand, their objections could be completely understandable. Their complaints may even be the same as ours would be under similar circumstances. I really don't know. Neither do you. The difference may be that I assume innocence on the part of others.

I am not feeling offended on behalf of others. I actually have no dog in the Indian fight. It's just that I was raised to be polite.
Are you really that thick? This is all a bit rich coming from someone who murdered people because they were Asian (but this is entirely typical of PC hypocrisy).
I did not murder people. I killed one person. I killed him because I was afraid he would kill me, not because of his race.

I agree with you that there is something called PC hypocrisy, but I don't know much about it. From what you gave as a typical example (i.e. me), I gather that it entails identifying as being PC while being un-PC. This characterization does not fit me, but it seems to be what you are saying.

As I said, it made no difference to me that my victim was Asian. Races are like handedness. Some are left-handed and some are right-handed.

You've mentioned PC hypocrisy before. Would you be willing to say a little more, perhaps a few examples?
You were complicit. What exactly did you do there then?

User avatar
Greta
Posts: 4389
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:10 am

Re: Political correctness and snowflake generation

Post by Greta » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:19 am

Yeah, the Apu thing is silly. It's a great example. In this case Indians are being manipulated into nationalism by a government that treats them (esp. women) like human garbage. Instead of worrying about foreign cartoonists doing their job - stereotyping and satirising - Indians could be demanding that their government get its sticky hands out of public funds and actually do something about empowering women to not be baby factories locked in servitude. Or maybe demanding that governments work to improve air quality and reducing homelessness.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:11 pm
Greta wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:15 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:33 pm


Could you give some examples?
Already have done.
It would help, because I have no clue what you are saying here.
Take a wild guess. What trivia do you think the media is manipulating people to fight about - the bread a circuses to keep them distracted?

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8708
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Political correctness and snowflake generation

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:36 am

Greta wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:19 am
Yeah, the Apu thing is silly. It's a great example. In this case Indians are being manipulated into nationalism by a government that treats them (esp. women) like human garbage. Instead of worrying about foreign cartoonists doing their job - stereotyping and satirising - Indians could be demanding that their government get its sticky hands out of public funds and actually do something about empowering women to not be baby factories locked in servitude. Or maybe demanding that governments work to improve air quality and reducing homelessness.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:11 pm
Greta wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:15 pm

Already have done.
It would help, because I have no clue what you are saying here.
Take a wild guess. What trivia do you think the media is manipulating people to fight about - the bread a circuses to keep them distracted?
You aren't making any sense today. Walker and Nick are the evasive ones on here, not you as a rule.

User avatar
Greta
Posts: 4389
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:10 am

Re: Political correctness and snowflake generation

Post by Greta » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:59 am

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:36 am
Greta wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:19 am
Yeah, the Apu thing is silly. It's a great example. In this case Indians are being manipulated into nationalism by a government that treats them (esp. women) like human garbage. Instead of worrying about foreign cartoonists doing their job - stereotyping and satirising - Indians could be demanding that their government get its sticky hands out of public funds and actually do something about empowering women to not be baby factories locked in servitude. Or maybe demanding that governments work to improve air quality and reducing homelessness.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:11 pm


It would help, because I have no clue what you are saying here.
Take a wild guess. What trivia do you think the media is manipulating people to fight about - the bread a circuses to keep them distracted?
You aren't making any sense today. Walker and Nick are the evasive ones on here, not you as a rule.
It's too bloody obvious. I'm not spoonfeeding.

If that's not enough for you, forget it, I'll chat with others instead.

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8708
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Political correctness and snowflake generation

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:07 am

Greta wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:59 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:36 am
Greta wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:19 am
Yeah, the Apu thing is silly. It's a great example. In this case Indians are being manipulated into nationalism by a government that treats them (esp. women) like human garbage. Instead of worrying about foreign cartoonists doing their job - stereotyping and satirising - Indians could be demanding that their government get its sticky hands out of public funds and actually do something about empowering women to not be baby factories locked in servitude. Or maybe demanding that governments work to improve air quality and reducing homelessness.


Take a wild guess. What trivia do you think the media is manipulating people to fight about - the bread a circuses to keep them distracted?
You aren't making any sense today. Walker and Nick are the evasive ones on here, not you as a rule.
It's too bloody obvious. I'm not spoonfeeding.

If that's not enough for you, forget it, I'll chat with others instead.
:lol:

commonsense
Posts: 1614
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: Political correctness and snowflake generation

Post by commonsense » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:35 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:08 pm
Are you really that thick? This is all a bit rich coming from someone who murdered people because they were Asian (but this is entirely typical of PC hypocrisy).
Davyboi wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:32 pm
Hey VEGETARIAN, leave commonsense alone! You suddenly decided to accuse him of being a racist now? You idiot!!! Since when did you think you have the right to try and intimadate him and ridicule his opinion? You Muppet!
Davy, thanks for your support, even though it was unnecessary. You see, I am not intimidated by legitimate differences of opinion. And I do not accept ad hom's as personal attacks, but rather they are poor arguments, but arguments from a position nonetheless.

commonsense
Posts: 1614
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: Political correctness and snowflake generation

Post by commonsense » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:46 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:33 pm
I don't know what's wrong with this website, but everything is showing up as a 'quote'.
Bingo, Veg, this quote thing has gone too far.

It's helpful to quote the point(s) that are being cited, but the entirety of posts going back to the OP is just too much.

Bottom line: quotes, when needed for clarity, good; quotes, when gratuitous, bad.

commonsense
Posts: 1614
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: Political correctness and snowflake generation

Post by commonsense » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:55 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:37 pm
Are you really that thick? This is all a bit rich coming from someone who murdered people because they were Asian (but this is entirely typical of PC hypocrisy).
commonsense wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:21 pm
I did not murder people. I killed one person. I killed him because I was afraid he would kill me, not because of his race.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:37 pm
You were complicit. What exactly did you do there then?
I cared for the sick and injured.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests