Are workers being replaced by robots?

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

wtf

Re: Are workers being replaced by robots?

Post by wtf »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:48 pm
wtf wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:14 pm Some say you're a bot, Phil.
I wonder when I was replaced?
You would have no way to know, since you would have been given memories of being human. You might start by studying the works of Philip K. Dick, who wrote extensively on the topic of individuals who are unaware but come to discover that they are bots or are in some other way living an illusion.
-1-

Post by -1- »

wtf wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 11:45 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:48 pm
wtf wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:14 pm Some say you're a bot, Phil.
I wonder when I was replaced?
You would have no way to know, since you would have been given memories of being human. You might start by studying the works of Philip K. Dick, who wrote extensively on the topic of individuals who are unaware but come to discover that they are bots or are in some other way living an illusion.
"The Others." A film, featuring one of today's hot blondes.

Gave me shivers down my spine. And I loved it. And loved the entire movie.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Relevant study material for revolutionaries:

https://www.quora.com/How-do-revolution ... chtenstein
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

"It's so loud in here!!! You can hardly hear yourself think!!" screamed Ranjan. "(inaudible)" "What?!!" "(inaudible)" "What? Can't hear you!! Speak louder!!" Jessie pulled Ranjan by the hand and led him down a line of robots (they were part of the assembly line) to a door, swung it open, slammed the door shut and whispered into Ranjan's ear, "I said I'm eatin' a sandwich."
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Threads like this are why PhilX needed to go away and come back under a new name.

How you doing these days Agent Smith?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:20 pm Workers are routinely replaced by machines, the recently popular name for such machines is 'robots', a term which doesn't actually mean very much.
Similarly the term "worker" doesn't mean very little. Just about everything is doing work in the thermodynamic sense

Just about everything interacts with its surroundings and exchanges energy. Maybe dark matter doesn't.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

This is a no-brainer, gentlemen. Robots don't buy commodities and services, so if u replace all the human workers - who, incidentally, are the ones who buy all the commodities and services - with robot workers, you'll have nobody to buy all the shit you're robots are makin.

#unworkableplan
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:01 am Based on the latest stats for the US, I would say the answer is no. However who knows what the future may bring? (you should Google Boston Dynamics to get some idea)

PhilX 🇺🇸
I think the word robot is misleading. We think of a humanoid device that does human labor like humans do it.
AI on the other hand has been replacing all sorts of non-physical labor for years.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

In the end, the wealthy and secure want wealth and security. AI is more efficient than humans who make more errors, require lunch breaks, and bathroom breaks, or get tired after a while. So in order to better reap riches by selling commodities, the wealthy and secure will employ AI. Perhaps eventually they will build AI to serve themselves. Then the rest of the human race becomes superfluous. What happens then?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:01 am Based on the latest stats for the US, I would say the answer is no. However who knows what the future may bring? (you should Google Boston Dynamics to get some idea)

PhilX 🇺🇸
People have been replaced by machines since the invention of the first machines; it's what they are for.

You say your opinion is based in the "latest stats"; please cite them!
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:20 pm Workers are routinely replaced by machines, the recently popular name for such machines is 'robots', a term which doesn't actually mean very much.
Actually robot literally means slave or servant.
THe word means a lot as it happens. There are whole university departments devoted to robotics and cybernetics.
There's an entire sub-genre of science fiction devoted to robots and androids.
There are robots in the home, at work and in the street.
So, um, I think "robot" means quite a lot.

The combine harvester is a machine that has replaced tens of millions of workers on a global basis since the time it was created. In doing so it made food cheap, that is because replacing human labour to get work done makes the resultant product cheaper. The combine harvester is not routinely referred to as a robot only because it was invented a few years before that word became popular.

Hopefully nobody here, even those who consider themselves poor, is actually poor enough to think bread is expensive. The reason for that is that is that once upon a time horse pulled ploughs made it cheaper to produce wheat. And then wind powered mills made it cheaper to turn wheat into flour, and then some time after that trucks with petrol engines made it cheap to transport flour to big fucking factories where incredibly cheap bread is made on a production line. But some people eat half a sandwich and throw the rest away, still considering themselves downtrodden, even though in that very act they are living beyond the wildest dreams their many ancestors that would riot if the cost of bread increased by a quarter, because that was enough hardship for them to maybe die.
Bread has always cost a lot.
When it was invented it cost people their freedoms, since it involved, if not out and out slavery, then the drudgery of a class of people chained to the land and mill stone, whist the priestly class and the warrior class enjoyed the fruits of their labour.
Now bread is just continuing to cost us our health.
ANd the more cheaply we can churn out the white powders such ads flour and sugar the more we see type 2 diabetes and obesity, being , as we , are poorly evolved to consume that much carbohydrate.