Is it politically correct to say ______?

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

The blank is deliberate because there are so many examples.

The only thing I'm sure about from a negative approach is something is politically incorrect because some group is offended. A handbook on political correctness would be useless due to the multiplicity of examples and the fluidity as new examples keep arising. So I see no solution to this.

PhilX 🇺🇸
gaffo

Re: Is it politically correct to say ______?

Post by gaffo »

i hate PC (indentity politics) - why i left the democratic party.

or more aptly she left me in the 1990's.

been stuck a 1970s Dem universal humanist/assimilationist since then.

an unbound unrepresented partyless person drifting from Libertarian to Green to independent ever since.
iolo

Post by iolo »

'Politically correct', surely, is Nazi for 'normal good manners'? I have never heard or seen it used otherwise.
Walker

Post by Walker »

iolo wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:06 pm 'Politically correct', surely, is Nazi for 'normal good manners'? I have never heard or seen it used otherwise.
No.

Deafness and blindness aren't much of a case.
iolo

Post by iolo »

I don't know. I've never seen or heard it used seriously except by Nazi nutters prevented from abusing people. There's awful, mun!
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

____that political correctness is an oxymoron. That between the ox end and the moron end lies the bandwidth of the politically correct!
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Walker wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:17 pm
iolo wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:06 pm 'Politically correct', surely, is Nazi for 'normal good manners'? I have never heard or seen it used otherwise.
No.

??? don't follow your thought, but i'm here to discuss, and humbly ask for clarification so we may agree or dissagree, or even agree to disagree.
-1-

Post by -1- »

gaffo wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:48 am
Walker wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:17 pm
No.

??? don't follow your thought, but i'm here to discuss, and humbly ask for clarification so we may agree or dissagree, or even agree to disagree.
I think Walker means "you are {intellectually} deaf and blind if you think "'Politically correct', surely, is Nazi for 'normal good manners'?". Then Walker goes on not explaining what he means by PC aside form denying the validity of the definition as stated by Iolo .
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

????????? whatever. hate PC, its just self important egoism to play victimhood.

but never mind me. i'm a Liberal dinosaur (like the Paleo-constervatives I found value in (not the current Social conservatives) years ago.

never mind me, i'm just a "dead man walking" post 20 after the death of universal humaism/enlightenment ideas/ideals I value.

a non-person with no party affiliation in an era of hyper-personal tribal TRIBAL - cyrbabies fixated upon the .00000000000001 difference they have with all others.........................negating the oneness of us all and the global village/etc......................

ya ya I'm an agent of the "Deep State".

sad future i see today.

when all i value is no longer valued by the tribal egotistical assholes and the associated societies across the globe.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Someone is always going to be offended by another's opinion. Just speak your mind within reason, if you truly believe in what you are saying, and let others deal with the imagined collateral.

For my part, I find it easier to listen and nod these days. If someone says the sky is red, it doesn't effect me if they want to believe that, or even insist on it. At the end of their sentence, my life hasn't been changed.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Dalek Prime wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:22 am Someone is always going to be offended by another's opinion. Just speak your mind within reason, if you truly believe in what you are saying, and let others deal with the imagined collateral.

For my part, I find it easier to listen and nod these days. If someone says the sky is red, it doesn't effect me if they want to believe that, or even insist on it. At the end of their sentence, my life hasn't been changed.
That is overwhelmingly true, but in a small way it is underwhelmingly untrue.

If someone says the sky is red, then your inner human urge is to alert your fellow human being that he is mistaken. This is a primal urge, a survival tactic we learned and made our own in our evolutionary development.

"There is no tiger behind you to jump on you" when there is a tiger behind me to jump on me, is not good info for me.

"There is a tiger behind you readly to jump on you" said in the same situation has EXTREMELY huge value and importance to me.

This sticking with the truth is something that transmogrified to other human areas of information transmission. We don't need to hear lies, and when we hear one mistaken fact, we have an inner urge to correct it.
-----------------

We must a lot of the time suppress this inner urge in order to not insult others. That is another, different social force that affects (and not effects) humans. We balance those urges that lead us to contradictory behaviour and we decide which to give in to.

Your not responding to "the sky is red" is not that the lie does not affect you and that it does not create an ever-so-slight discomfort in you; you don't respond, instead, due to the fact that you don't want to disrupt this person's personal views, which your not wanting to may come from many different reasons. But the fact remains, you don't like to hear someone say that that the sky is red.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

The very fact that they are speaking about something I'm not interested in is disruptive to me, whether it be true or not, so on a physical level, sure, I just blinked, and can't change what I am on a physical reaction level, no matter how minute. Nevertheless, whether their alter-ego of Batman and how they saved my neighbourhood last night is a fabrication or not, has no bearing on me.

Addendum: I just realised how just how detached I'm becoming to life, and it's not all positive.
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

Dalek Prime wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:22 am Someone is always going to be offended by another's opinion. Just speak your mind within reason, if you truly believe in what you are saying, and let others deal with the imagined collateral.

I tend to agree. I try to be polite as best i can these days. Too much Trumpism going on to fight all of the meanness all of the time. I think what people mean about being PC is ' I can say what I want but you can never say what you want'.

The reason i think this is because fox news used to chastise people for using the 'F bomb'. Now that their beloved president uses profanity, Fox is fine with it.
Greta

Post by Greta »

... that flags are a piece of cloth, nothing more

... that human activity has caused the climate to change

... that leaders should submit their finances to audit before taking office

... that most religiosity is primitive and superstitious

... that pledging with hand on a on a Bible is simply silly - and superstitious

All of these statements are as politically incorrect as the usual left wing protected species.

It's one thing to criticise, another to do so hypocritically.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

artisticsolution wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:46 pm

I tend to agree. I try to be polite as best i can these days. Too much Trumpism going on to fight all of the meanness all of the time. I think what people mean about being PC is ' I can say what I want but you can never say what you want'.

The reason i think this is because fox news used to chastise people for using the 'F bomb'. Now that their beloved president uses profanity, Fox is fine with it.
The the feeling I get from PC people. It's a one way street with them.