The Irrationalism of David Hogg Media Sensation

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re:

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:07 am "It's just not rational to think that."

When folks tell you they wanna take away X how is it not rational to take 'em at their word?

#

"You would have a revolution before that happened."

Probably....that possibility doesn't seem to bother the gun controllers.

#

"An assault rifle is hardly a necessity."

Not the point.
I give up. There is simply no reasoning with Americans on any topic.
henry quirk

"I give up"

Post by henry quirk »

meh
henry quirk

"Won’t be long before London is confiscating knives"

Post by henry quirk »

Walker

Re: The Irrationalism of David Hogg Media Sensation

Post by Walker »

Ban the knifes and they will come for the forks.

They actually use cars to kill over there.

Ban 'em, Dan-O.

That should be no problemo for the Old World sense of order.

Really, who needs a car in the city?

Who needs forks?
Eat with your fingers.
Plenty of people still do.
Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

Arguing that the world is changing, therefore, you should be okay with government taking away your guns is a complete non-starter. One could just as easily claim that because the world is changing, we may as well ban abortions.

As far as the argument that one does not "need" an assault rifle is concerned, one also does not "need" books to read, or large-screen tvs, ipads, etc., etc. Saying that one can only legally have what one "needs" would eliminate most of what people have and enjoy. So, how is that a rational argument?

The claim that David Hogg has been interviewed by journalists as a witness who was there is utter garbage. In numerous interviews he is not even asked what happened, just for his opinions on gun control. He also saw very little compared to other witnesses. The claim that journalists are not irrational these days is just not true. As an example, just look at how the journalists from around the globe once again engaged in anti-Semitism. Journalists around the globe called a mob of thousands of Arabs that stormed Israel's border, and which fired gun shots at Israeli border soldiers, as well as tossed fire bombs at them as well as rocks as nothing more than a "demonstration." If these "demonstrators" weren't firing guns at Jews, and firebombing Jews, does anyone think that the word "demonstration" would have been used? No way. Ten of the fifteen Arabs killed were also wanted for terrorist activities in Israel, which shows that Israeli soldiers did target those engaging in violence, and that the Palestinians openly hide out people who murder Jews in Israel from criminal prosecution. But, hey, since it was all just a "demonstration," let's dehumanize those evil Jews for actually defending their border, as any nation would have done under the same circumstances.

Journalists are overwhelmingly biased and irrational these days. Those are the facts. It doesn't mean all news is "fake news," as mainstream news is still more reliable than most alternative news sites, but it does not diminish the facts that journalists need to be better educated and less biased than they are today. Claiming that Hogg is an expert because he was a victim, and that he alone can speak out for all victims is as farcical as it gets.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Was Hogg even in the same building as the shooter?
vegetariantaxidermy

How clear does a point have to be for it not to be missed by 'certain' people on here?
Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

Just minutes ago, I was looking through the latest news that shows up on the net when I first log in, and there was an article titled something like a Holocaust survivor says Trump is an enabler of far-right rhetoric. Now, it may very well be true, but, in what way is a Holocaust-survivor an expert on this issue? So, yet again, we have another example of today's journalists engaging in an irrational claim that a victim is somehow an expert.

Perhaps if journalists were better educated, then they would not be abusing their positions as they do? On the other hand, if their audience were also quick to point out their fallacy, then that may also help to get rid of this nonsense. I doubt it will happen any time soon as people all over the globe seem to enjoy irrational media claims.

VT: Look, you simply have yet to make a coherent argument. Making the claim that because things always change, people should have their guns taken from them is a non-starter. Such "arguments" may go over well in your social-media echo chambers, but they have no place on a philosophy site.
vegetariantaxidermy

This is why SF NEVER uses the quote function--so he can lie his flabby white arse off.

For the record. I couldn't give a flying fuck how many guns yanks have in their homes, offices, workplaces, and anywhere else they want to have them. I've said that repeatedly.
Certain posters really need to learn to read past the most basic level. I was simply pointing out the inevitable--not whether something should (or shouldn't) happen.
Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

VT: You've also stated, and Henry can verify this, that because things change, he shouldn't mind assault rifles being taken away. In addition, you argued that since no one needs an assault rifle, it's okay to take them away from people. However, as I pointed, out, people also don't "need" things like books, TVs, and other things they find enjoyable, so that's also an irrational argument.

You always run away from your arguments when someone points out that your premises don't even come close to supporting your conclusion. In addition, you also comment that you can't argue with Americans, thinking that engaging in irrational bigotry can some how justify your irrational claims. It doesn't. Your arguments are simply logical crap.

Neither you nor any other gun-control advocate has explained why it is just to punish the millions of lawful gun owners because of the criminal actions of another. Since when do we punish the innocent because of the acts of a criminal? Since people like VT who are so PC about guns that she writes that even knowing someone had fun shooting makes her sick. Well, I really don't give a damn about your sensitive feelings. It's a basic principle of justice that the innocent not be punished because of the acts of a wrongdoer whom they have no control over.
vegetariantaxidermy

I really don't have the time or energy for trolling, lying bullshit. There is no point in engaging with a liar who is too cowardly and conceited to use the quote function and has the emotional development and maturity of an autistic two year old.

I can see why hardly anyone on here bothers to argue with the clown--it's not worth the effort. Psychic vampires should be avoided at all cost.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:11 pmJust the opposite. Think about it.
Well, I've had about 4 days to rest on it. And I still don't see how execution in america lowers tax.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:18 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:11 pmJust the opposite. Think about it.
Well, I've had about 4 days to rest on it. And I still don't see how execution in america lowers tax.
Where do you think the money comes from to pay for the big-screen tv? And to feed and clothe the prisoners, etc?

PhilX 🇺🇸
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:38 pm
Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:18 pm
Where do you think the money comes from to pay for the big-screen tv? And to feed and clothe the prisoners, etc?
It would come from our tax dollars. Unless it's a private prison.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:46 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:38 pm
Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:18 pm Well, I've had about 4 days to rest on it. And I still don't see how execution in america lowers tax.
It would come from our tax dollars. Unless it's a private prison.
Exactly. Better to execute than support the scumbags.

PhilX 🇺🇸