The Irrationalism of David Hogg Media Sensation

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Re: The Irrationalism of David Hogg Media Sensation

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:48 pm
Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:46 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:38 pm

Where do you think the money comes from to pay for the big-screen tv? And to feed and clothe the prisoners, etc?
It would come from our tax dollars. Unless it's a private prison.
Exactly. Better to execute than support the scumbags.
So right now it costs more to support an inmate on death row, but in your utopia, the cost would be greatly cut to save us money as taxpayers?

Well, that seems like an extraordinarily redundant point. It's basically a tautology. "If execution was done in a cheaper way to save tax money, it would save tax money".
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

The reason executions seem to cost so much has nuthin' to do with the execution itself and everything to do with appeals and housing the still-breathin' dead man during appeals.

But, you guys are missin' the point of executions: you off 'em as redress (or revenge), not to save cash.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

We're not discussing the morality of executions, though. He made a specific claim that it lowers taxes and I called him out on that.
henry quirk

"We're not discussing the morality of executions"

Post by henry quirk »

Mebbe you should be.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Well, what is the underlying principle behind why we should allow execution? Because people who kill the innocent deserve no second chances?
henry quirk

the underlying principle(s)

Post by henry quirk »

As I say: redress and revenge.
Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

There are a lot of arguments for and against the death penalty. One argument in favor of the death penalty is that in allowing certain scumbags to live, it taints the entire community. As Henry pointed out, there is also a desire for revenge against wrong doers. I'm against the death penalty myself because I do not see it being fairly enforced, but there are arguments that carry some weight in favor of the death penalty.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Me: I'm all for capital punishment, but only if loved ones of the dead do the deed.

Joe murders your wife and you want Joe dead. Joe is convicted, is plunked down in the sizzle chair.

Now, you throw the switch...not a representative of the State...you do it.

Not sensible to me to demand bloody compensation but expect some one else to get it for you.

You do it.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Re: the underlying principle(s)

henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:57 pm As I say: redress and revenge.
Do you believe that someone who murders the innocent deserve no second chances?
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Re:

henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:31 pmMe: I'm all for capital punishment, but only if loved ones of the dead do the deed.
....no.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

I think things have to be taken on a case by case basis.

One size diesn't fit all.

Some folks deserve a scond chance, some deserve prison time, some deserve a bullet in the head.

And: "...no"

What?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

The argument against execution isn't that no one deserves it--of course some people deserve it--it's that those are more often than not NOT the ones who get executed. As usual it's all about politics in your nut-job of a country. Why should a guilty person be able to 'plea bargain' while an innocent person who refuses to 'admit' to guilt gets executed? More lost irony--that you are more likely to be executed if you are innocent. There is no rationality. Your comments are so shallow, if they were water they could cover a square kilometre and and you wouldn't have enough to quench a budgie's thirst.
People over there don't even seem to care whether the person is guilty or not--they just want their pound of flesh no matter who it is. If someone I care about was the victim, then I would be extremely bothered if the real perpetrator was walking around free while an innocent person was executed. Actual guilt or innocence doesn't seem to be part of the equation.
The legal system of any civilised country is supposed to be concerned with justice and evidence, not vengeance or who can afford the best lawyer with the most devious trick up their sleeve.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"Why should a guilty person be able to 'plea bargain' while an innocent person who refuses to 'admit' to guilt gets executed? "

I agree, Veg, our justice system is seriously screwed up...subverted by money, mostly.

Me: I like Will S.'s solution to the problem.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

I don't believe it! I got more than a meh and a shrug :D There must be a catch somewhere. :?
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Re:

henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:31 pm
Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:23 pm
henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:31 pmMe: I'm all for capital punishment, but only if loved ones of the dead do the deed.
....no.
And: "...no"

What?
Because that's the type of rule that a teenager would make up.