We Are Yet Again Repeating the History of Bigotry

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: We Are Yet Again Repeating the History of Bigotry

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

I don't really care. America wanted him and that's that. He's not a racist. He's not really an 'anything'. He likes money, TV, women (sex), and junk food. That's about all there is to know about him.
Saying he must be racist because Russians are white people is rather silly. Russia didn't even have to communicate with Trump anyway. What did he know about anything? If they did anything it would have been through Wikileaks.
Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

America did not want him. Most Americans have always hated Trump.
Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

VT: Now, there you go being politically correct and also putting words in my mouth I never stated. I stated Trump was and is a racist, but not solely because he loves Putin and Russia.

If you think he is not a racist, then please provide us all with a non-racist reason why he pardoned a racist sheriff from Arizona who repeatedly violated the constitutional rights of Hispanic Americans? No Trumper has ever been able to provide a non-racist reason for Trump issuing the pardon, especially when it came so shortly after a neo-Nazi murdered a protestor in Virginia. That's just one fact among a long list of facts regarding Trump's racism.

Trump is a racist and I'm not going to engage in political correctness and deny this.
vegetariantaxidermy

You were the one who wrote ''white'' Russia. How am I PC exactly? Oh right. Because the PC just love Trump? You clearly don't understand the concept of PC. You are the one being PC. PC ''Progressives'' hate Trump because he's apparently 'offended' some people with things he's said. Blowing people up is ok, but 'offending' them isn't. And seriously, you expect me to know every news item that's ever been written in your country? Do you really think I go around thinking about corrupt sherrifs in the USA? That would involve a lifetime of study. You give no details at all. Stick your stupid mind games. I don't care that you have Trump. It suits you. He's a lot pleasanter than the yanks I've had dealings with anyway :wink:, and less hateable(so far) than that vile, planet-destroying bastard dubya Bush, who you don't seem to mind at all.
Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

VT: You were the one claiming that Trump is not a racist. That's PC. Apparently these days, no matter how racist a person is we must never, ever call a person an actual racist. For whatever reason that is I refuse to go along with such idiocy.

So, you, along with every other person who denies that Trump is a racist, cannot give a non-racist explanation for why he pardoned a racist sheriff? That's because the only explanation is that it was racially motivated. No one on the Trumper side of the fence can even come up with a cover-story.

As far as your admissions that you know little to nothing about the USA, then this should cause you to think twice before writing your numerous comments, over and over again, saying bad things about the USA. I live in the USA, know what is going on here, while you have no clue. America is not perfect, but it is nothing like the lunatic picture you try to paint it as. The facts are that a large part of the western world is undergoing a love-affair with authoritarianism, and the USA is not the only country guilty of having a large sector of its population leaning towards totalitarianism and supporting racism. I've seen enough comments from Europeans on social media to definitely know that this is hardly a problem uniquely confined to the USA.
vegetariantaxidermy

I see you are just as insane and dishonest as ever. I don't recall making any 'admissions'. Not PC to call anyone 'racist'? WTF? That's about all the PC do, call everyone 'racist'. Have you had some kind of head injury? Do I have to think Trump is a racist? Are you the thought police? You don't have much understanding of people. I don't think Trump is a racist because I doubt if he thinks about anything much except money. Money people are like that. Money is all they talk about and all they think about. They are the biggest bores to talk to. I'm going by what I've seen of him. Short of actually reading his mind, that's about all any of us can do. Now I am quite sure that I won't think about him for the rest of the day (or week, or month). Btw, has he ever lynched anyone?
And it's impossible to NOT know about the USA. It's so fucking in-your-face and LOUD! I know what it's done. I know as much as I need to know, thanks, which is probably quite a bit more than the average yank. You don't have to live on the moon to know it's not made of cheese.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

Science Fan wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:34 am During his campaign, Trump's slogan was "Make America Great Again." However, after winning the election, he suddenly changed his slogan to "America First." This was a high-five to white-supremacist bigots and it's hard to imagine why anyone in America is shouting out this slogan of "America First," when it was a slogan used in the 1930s and 1940s with a very specific bigoted meaning.
That's actually not the original, or most recent connotation of the phrase. Woodrow Wilson used it as a way to affirm a non-interventionist position on a potential world war.

I think what trump is talking about when he says it is honestly pretty straight-forward. He's paying homage to a sort of American Exceptionalism, which I'm fine with, and in its simplified principle, just about everyone on the face of the earth is, whether they realize it or not. Every country should have the mentality of putting itself first, because a country's primary role is not to run another country.
The racist, bigoted policies of Trump could not be clearer, especially since he is using as his official slogan
I think it could be made a lot clearer than him coughing up a string of words that some people find offensive for a connotation that he is not using it under. He could actually espouse the views of someone like David Duke or Richard Spencer. I mean, chances are, he's not using the most perverted interpretation of a phrase as a call-back to a largely anti-semantic movement from the 40s. I think it's just safe to assume that, as a guy who himself has a (converted) jewish daughter and son-in-law that's pretty high up in his cabinet.
And despite Trump's claim that he researched the neo-Nazi rally, thoroughly, and knows that there were good people marching with the neo-Nazis, he has never named a single "good person" who was marching with them. Neither has any Trumper. That's because the only people marching with the neo-Nazis were neo-Nazis. Therefore, Trump has publicly stated as president of the USA that neo-Nazis are good people.
He was likely referring to the more traditional conservatives that were there like Tim Gionet (Baked alaska) and his group of people. While I'm not a fan of that individual, it's a pretty far reach to call him one of the 'neo-nazis' considering he actually called out the white nationalists who were there. Regardless of whether you think the number of purely traditional conservatives who were there simply protesting the statue removal with none of the racism attached, was negligible, we do ultimately have to judge trump by his own understanding of the events.

Trump believes that there were traditional conservatives there that were good people. Even if he's wrong in saying that, it doesn't mean he's suddenly saying that the white nationalists are a good group of people, because they were the only ones actually there. We have to judge a man's words by his intention and what he means. If he's wrong, we can't just interpolate the truth and take the grossest interpretation of his comments.

I personally agree more with his sentiment that there were terrible people on both sides of charlottesville, than that there were good people on both sides.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:04 amhe's not using the most perverted interpretation of a phrase as a call-back to a largely anti-semantic movement from the 40s.
I wasn't a witness to that, so I can't comment. However, the greatest anti-semantic movement in my lifetime in the English-speaking world was the rise and anti-semantic reign of terror by George W. Bush. It lasted eight years, and the nation is still only recuperating from those horrible times.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Science Fan wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:21 pm America did not want him. Most Americans have always hated Trump.
You're right. Some, if not most, Americans always vote for somebody whom they reeeeeally hate.

It's like the old cowboy joke. A new cowboy comes to town. He goes to the saloon. A stranger, who is an old resident in the city, explains to the newcomer, that the town is a good town, everyone gets along with everyone else, except for one guy, the bane of the town's existence, whom everyone can't stand and wants out and wishes were dead.

"Which one is he?"

"Well, you see, that guy in the silver spurs and drinking whisky?" says the old-timer.

"Well," says the newcomer, "they all drink whiskey and have silver spurs."

"Well, you see, that goy over there, with the cowboy hat and plaid red shirt."

"They all wear cowboy hats and plaid red shirts."

"C'mon, now. The guy with the two colt revolvers and bullets in his belt."

The new guy says, simply, "but they all have two revolvers."

The old timer can't stand it any longer. He gets his guns out of their holsters, bang-bang-bang, he shoots everyone in the bar, except for one guy, who keeps drinking his whiskey as if nothing has happened. "YOU SEE THAT LAST GUY STANDING?" Screams the old-timer. "Yes, I do," replies the new cowboy. "Well, he's the one everyone hates," says the old-timer.

This is the authentic parable how Trump got into the White House.
Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

1: Most Americans did not vote for Trump. About half the people who could have voted didn't even bother to vote. Trump got fewer votes than Romney did in 2012 when he lost to Obama. Hillary won the popular vote by a significant margin. In poll after poll, from the start of Trump's campaign, to the present, the majority of Americans have been revealed to dislike Trump. Many who voted for him merely did so because they liked Hillary Clinton even less. Most Americans would have preferred a better choice than Clinton or Trump. It was an unusual election to say the least, but the facts are clear --- the vast majority of Americans do not like Trump and never did.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

-1- wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:11 am
Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:04 amhe's not using the most perverted interpretation of a phrase as a call-back to a largely anti-semantic movement from the 40s.
I wasn't a witness to that, so I can't comment. However, the greatest anti-semantic movement in my lifetime in the English-speaking world was the rise and anti-semantic reign of terror by George W. Bush. It lasted eight years, and the nation is still only recuperating from those horrible times.
Why do you feel so strongly that George Bush was anti-semantic? Can you give me some examples? Not that I'm arguing against it, I'm just genuinely curious. I've only gotten into politics semi recently.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Science Fan wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:15 pm 1: Most Americans did not vote for Trump. About half the people who could have voted didn't even bother to vote. Trump got fewer votes than Romney did in 2012 when he lost to Obama. Hillary won the popular vote by a significant margin. In poll after poll, from the start of Trump's campaign, to the present, the majority of Americans have been revealed to dislike Trump. Many who voted for him merely did so because they liked Hillary Clinton even less. Most Americans would have preferred a better choice than Clinton or Trump. It was an unusual election to say the least, but the facts are clear --- the vast majority of Americans do not like Trump and never did.
You're right, but of those who VOTED, more liked Trump than not.

You can extrapolate from that that more Americans liked Trump. This is inductive, not deductive, you're right, but therefore the claim is even weaker that says fewer people liked him than not.

With the second part of your argument, I wholly agree. It was to lock out the shill. So the Democrats made a poor choice by backing Hilly instead of Bernie. Everyone in the trenches loved Bernie!! He was the Ticket! Why they fucked him out is a mystery to me. They ought to have known better. Maybe it was to promote Hilly only on the basis of her being a woman? Possible. But then this is one instance where PC and reality had a bad clash, with a really bad effect.
Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

1: Since Trump lost the popular vote, then it is false that out of those who voted, most liked Trump. For that to be true, Trump would have had to win the popular vote, and he lost the popular vote by a large margin. Less than 25% of Americans are Trumpers. The vast majority of Americans dislike him, and he has even set record low popularity levels, far below that of any other president in history.
vegetariantaxidermy

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:43 pm
-1- wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:11 am
Why do you feel so strongly that George Bush was anti-semantic? Can you give me some examples? Not that I'm arguing against it, I'm just genuinely curious. I've only gotten into politics semi recently.
Here's a typical Bush anti-semantic rant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8MzM-GV02Y
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

What the fuck did I just watch