Interpreting the Norwegian Constitution

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

EchoesOfTheHorizon

Interpreting the Norwegian Constitution

Post by EchoesOfTheHorizon »

https://gcaptain.com/norway-environment ... stitution/

So.... I as a American don't quite grasp the use or interpretation of a constitution via the "Norwegian Style" of interpretation. I've seen some constitutions, like in Brazil in the case of the constitution of Acre, omit the preamble of the constitution making reference to God as constitutionally valid, because it wasn't part of the constitution (title isn't part of the book I'm guessing the logic is saying).

In Norway, they have a section, 112 from me understanding, banning the government form hurting the government. Now, I get they probably don't use the common law system, don't know if the use some civil law variant based on Justinian's code, might just be two hairy Vikings fighting in cases of dispute, whoever out bashes the other win's the case. I simply don't know. All I know is, they have a constitution, decided they really wanted one, wrote up a fantastically liberal clause to it (like in the Chinese constitution workers have a constitutional right to a vacation, and vacation locations must be provided if none available), and then proceeded to seemingly ignore it.

The American style approach is NOT ignoring the constitution. Like with Obamacare failing to be passed through the standards of the origination clause of the constitution, many refuse to recognize it on this basis alone, as it violates the constiution.... all spending bills must abide by the origination clauses, or else it failes to be considered law. If they tried to enforce it, it would hit a dead end very quickly on this basis. You don't get to choose the constitution you find convienant, but the one that you have.... it all applies, fully, until a aspect of it is repealed.

How does it differ in Norway? Is the constitution merely decorative? Something to show off to other countries, to show you are like them? Does it have any role in the law? Are lawyers trained in it, or encouraged to ignore it and mock it, disregard it whenever they can? Is there a better standard of law and governance in Norway in force that people look to to figure out what the law is, how the social compact functions?

As a American, I simply don't know how this works.
bobevenson

Re: Interpreting the Norwegian Constitution

Post by bobevenson »

My Norwegian grandparents understood the Norwegian Constitution, that's why they came to America.
Philosophy Explorer

Re: Interpreting the Norwegian Constitution

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

bobevenson wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:27 pm My Norwegian grandparents understood the Norwegian Constitution, that's why they came to America.
:lol:

PhilX 🇺🇸