To all Australians and anyone that want to comment.

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Post Reply
User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 2547
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

To all Australians and anyone that want to comment.

Post by attofishpi » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:16 am

Australia Day is a national holiday. Australia Day is the official National Day of Australia. Celebrated annually on 26 January, it marks the anniversary of the 1788 arrival of the First Fleet of British Ships.

Understandably, the Aborigines of this great nation do not feel part of this celebration - in the latest polls - most Australians - something like 80% of them believe it should remain on the 26th of January.

I think this is f'ing ridiculous (and i am an Australian\British dual citizen). If we are not including the original inhabitants in this land of a day to feel proud of our nation, then it should be moved to a day where we can all heal our past.

How do you feel about this?

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 6938
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: To all Australians and anyone that want to comment.

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:27 am

What difference does it make what day it's on? And you could hardly expect Aborigines to celebrate it.

User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 2547
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: To all Australians and anyone that want to comment.

Post by attofishpi » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:42 am

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:27 am
What difference does it make what day it's on? And you could hardly expect Aborigines to celebrate it.
Not so sure you just read about my OP regarding the day that is expected to be celebrated by ALL Australians - personally i think it should be up to the Aborigines to suggest a date, unless of course they don't want to celebrate 'Australia' - which i'm sure many of them will, but there are plenty that do feel a sense of belonging to a 'progressive' nation.

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 6938
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: To all Australians and anyone that want to comment.

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:45 am

attofishpi wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:42 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:27 am
What difference does it make what day it's on? And you could hardly expect Aborigines to celebrate it.
Not so sure you just read about my OP regarding the day that is expected to be celebrated by ALL Australians - personally i think it should be up to the Aborigines to suggest a date, unless of course they don't want to celebrate 'Australia' - which i'm sure many of them will, but there are plenty that do feel a sense of belonging to a 'progressive' nation.
Seems more 'regressive' of late.

]...[
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:19 pm

Re: To all Australians and anyone that want to comment.

Post by ]...[ » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:49 am

.



.................................................Image



Sounds like a cool holiday...Actually, the native American indians here in America celebrate similarly ever since we took their land away from them.

Matter of fact, they're celebrating bout every single day. To the point where alcoholism & drug abuse is eerily prevalent amongst most all native American indian families.

They tell me you can't find a job, ANY job in ANY of the indian reservations here in America. So, poverty is rampant & there is very little access to normal health care or even ANY decent drug or alcohol rehabilitation on the reservations that we have specifically set-up for them...

So I guess EVERYONE is saying, It's cool to be an Australian or an American today & everyday!


Party-on!!!




.........................................................Image








.

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: To all Australians and anyone that want to comment.

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:54 am

attofishpi wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:16 am
Australia Day is a national holiday. Australia Day is the official National Day of Australia. Celebrated annually on 26 January, it marks the anniversary of the 1788 arrival of the First Fleet of British Ships.

Understandably, the Aborigines of this great nation do not feel part of this celebration - in the latest polls - most Australians - something like 80% of them believe it should remain on the 26th of January.

I think this is f'ing ridiculous (and i am an Australian\British dual citizen). If we are not including the original inhabitants in this land of a day to feel proud of our nation, then it should be moved to a day where we can all heal our past.

How do you feel about this?
"... anyone who wants to comment."

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 6938
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: To all Australians and anyone that want to comment.

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:00 pm

]...[ wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:49 am
.



.................................................Image



Sounds like a cool holiday...Actually, the native American indians here in America celebrate similarly ever since we took their land away from them.

Matter of fact, they're celebrating bout every single day. To the point where alcoholism & drug abuse is eerily prevalent amongst most all native American indian families.

They tell me you can't find a job, ANY job in ANY of the indian reservations here in America. So, poverty is rampant & there is very little access to normal health care or even ANY decent drug or alcohol rehabilitation on the reservations that we have specifically set-up for them...

So I guess EVERYONE is saying, It's cool to be an Australian or an American today & everyday!


Party-on!!!




.........................................................Image








.
Native Americans are all but invisible. Do you have ANY in Govt? A few actors that no one has heard of. They were the coolest indigenous people around. Y'all should have celebrated them instead of shoving them on reservations and hoping they become extinct.

User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 2547
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: To all Australians and anyone that want to comment.

Post by attofishpi » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:06 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:00 pm
They were the coolest indigenous people around.
Oh, just how racist! (against all the other cool aborigines of Earth)

bobevenson
Posts: 7349
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:02 am
Contact:

Re: To all Australians and anyone that want to comment.

Post by bobevenson » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:56 pm

Anybody who celebrates a national holiday is an institutional patsy.

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 6938
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: To all Australians and anyone that want to comment.

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:14 pm

bobevenson wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:56 pm
Anybody who celebrates a national holiday is an institutional patsy.
It's just unfortunate that you occasionally say the right things, but for the wrong reasons. :cry:

Impenitent
Posts: 1842
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: To all Australians and anyone that want to comment.

Post by Impenitent » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:27 pm

broken clocks...

-Imp

bobevenson
Posts: 7349
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:02 am
Contact:

Re: To all Australians and anyone that want to comment.

Post by bobevenson » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:00 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:14 pm
bobevenson wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:56 pm
Anybody who celebrates a national holiday is an institutional patsy.
It's just unfortunate that you occasionally say the right things, but for the wrong reasons. :cry:
Please explain your argument so I can rip it apart.

User avatar
-1-
Posts: 1441
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:08 am

Re: To all Australians and anyone that want to comment.

Post by -1- » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:17 am

They should make the day into a national holiday in Australia, which is the first reliably recorded day of country-wide rainfall.

If none such day exists in recorded history, then Austeralia ought to abolish the occurrence of any recurring national holiday and any celebration of it.

If, however, they do keep Jan 26 the national holiday, then they ought to name it "Thiefs' Day", and a proper way to celebrate it is to not enforce policing on this day of petty theft, such as that of a loaf of bread or a glass of milk, strictly for survival purposes.

User avatar
Seleucus
Posts: 667
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:53 am

Re: To all Australians and anyone that want to comment.

Post by Seleucus » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:47 pm

attofishpi wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:16 am
I think this is f'ing ridiculous (and i am an Australian\British dual citizen). If we are not including the original inhabitants in this land of a day to feel proud of our nation, then it should be moved to a day where we can all heal our past.
I'm pro Australia Day.

So just evacuate all non-Australoid people and leave the continent to a few thousand drunken savages? Or, what do-able concrete alternative proposal are you suggesting? Or you just like to complain because you are a resentful loser?

The problem Aborigines face is not that they were defeated and colonized by the White man, something that the Japanese also suffered at the end of WWII. The aboriginals have a stone-age psychology and cannot function in a modern society, leading to frustration and failure. What would changing the day of a holiday do to benefit that situation? What this discussion of changing a holiday date is probably about is narcissistic virtue signaling. A self-aggrandizing conqueror so large that he weeps with pity for those trod under his mighty foot, in fact he is projecting, for he is a vain and small egoist who fails to understand the aboriginal situation. Eric Berne might add, calling it a game of "I'm OK -- you're not OK", that the narcissism is only half of it, the reveling in the labeling of badness and wrongness and evilness of those who would have put Australia Day on January 26th being the other half.

EchoesOfTheHorizon
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:08 am

Re: To all Australians and anyone that want to comment.

Post by EchoesOfTheHorizon » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:11 pm

You should still celebrate the founding of your nation, and under no circumstance water it down with SJW stuff, but at the same time honestly make a effort to make sure the aboriginals feel like they can join in as well. They too can have a aboriginal appreciation day the day before or better after, stretching out the official Holliday to two days. Just don't screw up the original Holliday of unity with liberal notions smashing away the older concepts of what you are celebrating. Liberalism is in constant mutation, and most of it in time dies away. This being said, both Australians and Aboriginals will long outlive it, so just try to make two closely intertwined holidays of inclusiveness. This means Aboriginals have to not merely take great pride in Aboriginal Day, but make damn sure everyone, even the most backwards and racist, feels fully comfortable with celebrating it, grilling food and going on picnics, listening to music, fireworks, etc. Nobody should feel left out, even if the focus is on them on that particular day. It is a celebration of their place in the greater society. That would be a good thing. Mass shaming a country into rejecting most of it's population today, or it's civic history isn't usually very wise. We had to in the case of Germany after WW2, but it resulted in the mass effeminization of the society and a general death of philosophy among them. Most of the tremors existing in the EU stems from them, and they don't have any solutions or capacity to effect positive change, just usually more trainwreck policies, more of the same.

It is important to avoid that, keep Australia a vibrant society. Back to back holidays with celebrations is a great idea. Maybe cause a bump in drunk driving, but none the less, generally good idea. Will put a lot of aboriginal celebrities on the map, cause people to open up the history books on that day to review the ideas of intellectuals. If you drag it out for a month, like Black history month, nobody will much follow it. If you try to supplant a good Holliday, with it, people will resent it, and mock it. Two days of fun back to back, they will love it.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests