The tie that saved Rome. Do Western nations need a State Religion?

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Greatest I am

Re: The tie that saved Rome. Do Western nations need a State Religion?

Post by Greatest I am »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Rubbish.
Religion is exactly what you do not want if you want an ethical world. Religion tells people what is moral. we need that like ahole in the head.
Seems we agree.

Although your reading comprehension needs work.

Regards
DL
Ethics cannot be based on an authority figure telling everyone how to behave. It just does not work unless you want resentment and unhappiness.
True that morals and ethics cannot be imposed but if we are to ignore our authoritative figures, who have earned their positions, then what is the point of having authoritative figures.

All who we consider authoritative people as well as the books of religion, morals and ethics have earned their authority in the minds of some. Most of what we know of morals and ethics was devised a long time ago and to ignore those authoritative writers and authors would be rather silly.

Mind you, all concepts should be reviewed before buying into them. Some are wrong.

Regards
DL
Hobbes' Choice

Re: The tie that saved Rome. Do Western nations need a State Religion?

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Greatest I am wrote: True that morals and ethics cannot be imposed but if we are to ignore our authoritative figures, who have earned their positions, then what is the point of having authoritative figures.
Regards
DL
I think you have a quite naive view of the world.