'Mind your own business, keep your hands to yourself.'

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

good idea
40%
bad idea
No votes
other
60%

Total votes: 5

henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Tell me.
Harbal

Re: 'Mind your own business, keep your hands to yourself.'

Post by Harbal »

henry quirk wrote:Tell me.
If I did tell you you wouldn't do it.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Probably not, no.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Out of curiosity, Henry, why do you delete subject lines when you post? :?:
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Just cuttin' out the unneeded 'header'.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Voted 'Other'

As is it my business to walk by the old person, woman, man, child, etc getting assaulted?
Greta

Post by Greta »

I chose "Other" because it depends on the situation. As a general rule, though, I'm good with "Mind your own business, keep your hands to yourself".
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

A_uk,

Is that a situation you find yourself in on a regular basis?

Me: I'm fifty three, have not lived a cloistered life, have often spent time in unwholesome places (and still do), and never have I witnessed an "old person, woman, or child, getting assaulted". I have witnessed men goin' at it (hell, I've gone at it) and the wisest thing to do is leave them be to settle things.

Certainly, if I see a kid gettin' abused I'll step in (if, for example, I'd have walked in on Sandusky sodomizing a ten year old, he'd have been a dead man)...no rule of thumb is universal...but, as a general rule, 'mind your own business, keep your hands to yourself' is a superior formulation applicable to most circumstances, most of the time.
Arising_uk

Re:

Post by Arising_uk »

henry quirk wrote:A_uk,

Is that a situation you find yourself in on a regular basis?
Not regularly no but it's happened a few times over my life.
Me: I'm fifty three, have not lived a cloistered life, have often spent time in unwholesome places (and still do), and never have I witnessed an "old person, woman, or child, getting assaulted". I have witnessed men goin' at it (hell, I've gone at it) and the wisest thing to do is leave them be to settle things.
Fifty six myself and like you have lived in a few insalubrious places and I've seen and interfered with situations where women and children have been getting assaulted, shit myself whilst doing it mind you as I'm not exactly Bruce Lee. :)
Doesn't have to be adults doing it but just peers. Not stupid enough to step in like John Wayne on his horse as that'll get you hurt in many cases but I've found that just speaking out and standing one's moral ground defused the situation somewhat. Agree that men going one on one it's best to leave alone but have a thing about bullies and numbers.
Certainly, if I see a kid gettin' abused I'll step in (if, for example, I'd have walked in on Sandusky sodomizing a ten year old, he'd have been a dead man)...no rule of thumb is universal...but, as a general rule, 'mind your own business, keep your hands to yourself' is a superior formulation applicable to most circumstances, most of the time.
Doesn't have to be so horrific, I'm a househusband at present and I'm amazed at modern city society where I appear to be a monster when I challenge or correct others children in the playground if I think they are taking liberties with the younger or weaker. :lol:

I agree that it's a useful rule of thumb but as you say you wouldn't follow it all the time yourself, so "other" for me.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

On those rare occasions where I've stepped in, I tended to see my intervention as a kind of re-balancing, returning the circumstance to each party minding his own business and keeping his hands to himself, but that's mostly me justifying myself. Like you, I got a problem with bullies. When I was a young, odd, boy, I had alpha-types who tried to box me into a pecking order. It was unfortunate for these folks that I like to hit things. Never was inclined to take shit. I also have a high tolerance for discomfort. I always fought back and didn't care much if my keister was kicked. I discovered you don't have to beat the bully, you just don't give in or up to the bully. Eventually, even the thickest gets tired of slamming up against cinder block and moves on.

I wish, instead, of sheltering folks, more were encouraged to stand (and to get back up when knocked down). Safe spaces replaced with boxing rings, so to speak.

Thick(er) skin and fists.