The Most Despotic Taxes Known to Mankind

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

FlashDangerpants

Re: The Most Despotic Taxes Known to Mankind

Post by FlashDangerpants » Thu May 05, 2016 10:05 pm

bobevenson wrote:Let me ask you one simple question: what do you think is the cause of inflation?
The same things that anyone who has a passing familiarity with economics will name. Inflation is a measure of prices, and as with all things price related, supply and demand is well known to be the underlying issue.

Rising wages when employment is high is the classic one. It causes firms to bid up wages (the price for labor) and then they have to either pass on the extra costs to consumers or else profits tumble.
Falling currencies at other times push up the price of imports and acts as a hidden pay cut for the nation, so that tends to poke inflation a little.
Expectations of future interest rate rises pushes up the cost of credit, which plays through into higher prices also.
Increasing prices for raw materials caused by either high demand or long term underinvestment stokes inflation pretty hard so long as it doesn't bust demand.

The technical terms for these effects are demand-pull and cost-push. Your theory completely fails to take them into account. They are both a natural part of an expanding economy. Your hopes of squashing inflation entirely depend on flat-lining your economy while both importing and exporting nothing including goods, money and people.

Inflation through monetary expansion on the other hand is generally only a major part of the mix during collapses of the credit markets (when it is deployed to prevent deflation) or when a woefully mismanaged economy hits a fiscal problem and compensates by a combination of monetary financing and economic repression - as seen in recent decades in Zimbabwe, Venezuela, Argentina, and the Greeks would have done it too if they could.

bobevenson

Post by bobevenson » Thu May 05, 2016 11:34 pm

FlashDangerpants wrote:
bobevenson wrote:Let me ask you one simple question: what do you think is the cause of inflation?
The same things that anyone who has a passing familiarity with economics will name. Inflation is a measure of prices, and as with all things price related, supply and demand is well known to be the underlying issue.
That's the most preposterous answer I've ever heard, and I guarantee you there is not a single economist on Earth who would agree with it!

FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants » Thu May 05, 2016 11:38 pm

bobevenson wrote:
FlashDangerpants wrote:
That's the most preposterous answer I've ever heard, and I guarantee you there is not a single economist on Earth who would agree with it!
Show me an economist who agrees with you

bobevenson

Post by bobevenson » Thu May 05, 2016 11:41 pm

FlashDangerpants wrote:Show me an economist who agrees with you
They all do, it's standard economic theory. Go to any textbook.

FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants » Thu May 05, 2016 11:48 pm

bobevenson wrote:
Standard economic theory is where I got the concepts of demand-pull and price-push inflation from.

What is 'Demand-Pull Inflation'

Demand-pull inflation is a term used in Keynesian economics to describe the scenario that occurs when price levels rise because of an imbalance in the aggregate supply and demand. When the aggregate demand in an economy strongly outweighs the aggregate supply, prices increase. Economists will often say that demand-pull inflation is a result of too many dollars chasing too few goods.
What is 'Cost-Push Inflation'

Cost-push inflation is a phenomenon in which the general price levels rise (inflation) due to increases in the cost of wages and raw materials.
Standard economic theory recognises supply (cost push) and demand (demand-pull) as sources of inflation.
Only nonentities like you can't understand this stuff.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk » Thu May 05, 2016 11:50 pm

bobevenson wrote:It's like Golden Earring's "Radar Love," it comes right out of the sky!
And straight out of your arse.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk » Thu May 05, 2016 11:51 pm

FlashDangerpants wrote:...
If you had any business being on a philosophy forum you would realise you have put yourself into a monetary version of Zeno's paradox of Achilles and the turtle.
He's too insane to understand this and has form in this respect,
bobevenson wrote:Theist, agnostic, atheist. As Bob the Baptist, I can tell you that the first and third are fools, and absolute fools at that.
bobevenson wrote:Anybody who isn't an agnostic is a fool.
So tell us oh 'prophet', are you an agnostic or an absolute fool? :lol:
Last edited by Arising_uk on Fri May 06, 2016 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk » Fri May 06, 2016 2:14 am

Notice how bob is completely schtum about the huge problem with his taxation and monetary equalising idea, namely that his insane plan would collapse the US economy. You'd think a 'divine' theorist for a fantasy political party would have thought things through but I guess that's what you get when you only listen and talk to the voices in your head. Still, we can hope he'll engage in some philosophy and maybe he could find a work-around if he's willing to engage but don't be holding your breath. :lol:

bobevenson

Post by bobevenson » Sat May 07, 2016 6:11 pm

FlashDangerpants wrote:
bobevenson wrote:
Standard economic theory is where I got the concepts of demand-pull and price-push inflation from.

What is 'Demand-Pull Inflation'

Demand-pull inflation is a term used in Keynesian economics to describe the scenario that occurs when price levels rise because of an imbalance in the aggregate supply and demand. When the aggregate demand in an economy strongly outweighs the aggregate supply, prices increase. Economists will often say that demand-pull inflation is a result of too many dollars chasing too few goods.
What is 'Cost-Push Inflation'

Cost-push inflation is a phenomenon in which the general price levels rise (inflation) due to increases in the cost of wages and raw materials.
Standard economic theory recognises supply (cost push) and demand (demand-pull) as sources of inflation.
Only nonentities like you can't understand this stuff.
I'm sorry, you can rattle your fucking brains out, but the only cause of inflation is the government flooding the market with money, either in the form of currency or bank deposits that do not, in fact, represent property, representing nothing at all, and the government officials responsible for this criminal activity should be arrested, prosecuted, convicted, and sentenced to jail like anybody else.

Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress » Sat May 07, 2016 6:40 pm

To be fair, Bob, maybe if you clarify a bit better how the AEP will "match" money to the value of goods and services, then we might get a better grasp of what you are saying. Since it appears to be the case that circulating 3,900 billion in money causes an inflation rate of somewhere over 2%, I assume it means you would have the Fed issue something less than the 3,900 billion currently in circulation, to bring it down to 0% inflation. Is that correct?

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk » Sat May 07, 2016 6:45 pm

bobevenson wrote:I'm sorry, ...
*Yawn* So you should be boob, as your credentials as a divine economic and political prophet have been well and truly shot through upon this thread. Best stick with the godbothering lunacy.

FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants » Sat May 07, 2016 6:48 pm

bobevenson wrote: I'm sorry, you can rattle your fucking brains out, but the only cause of inflation is the government flooding the market with money, either in the form of currency or bank deposits that do not, in fact, represent property, representing nothing at all,
You have lied. What you describe is utterly unlike standard economic theory, but this is what you said it was.

So back to your previous comment:
bobevenson wrote: That's the most preposterous answer I've ever heard, and I guarantee you there is not a single economist on Earth who would agree with it!
All the economists agree with me. None of them agrees with you.
Show me your economists.

bobevenson

Post by bobevenson » Sat May 07, 2016 8:30 pm

FlashDangerpants wrote:Show me your economists.
Would you settle for me showing you my middle finger?

Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sat May 07, 2016 8:38 pm

bobevenson wrote:
Now you've done it FD. He wants to show you what's sitting on top of his shoulders.

PhilX

FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants » Sat May 07, 2016 8:39 pm

bobevenson wrote:
Your possession of some fingers was never in dispute.
Where are your economists?