Can you think of anything good about islam ?

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

duszek
Posts: 2183
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:27 pm
Location: Thin Air

Can you think of anything good about islam ?

Post by duszek » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:08 pm

Only serious suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Can you think of anything good about islam ?

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:18 pm

Yes, at least it's not Catholicism.

Pluto
Posts: 1856
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 9:26 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: Can you think of anything good about islam ?

Post by Pluto » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:10 pm

Its followers are pressed to refrain from smoking and consuming alcohol. These are drugs, yet admittedly, you consume the bigger drug of Islam, to side-step the former.

Impenitent
Posts: 1840
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Can you think of anything good about islam ?

Post by Impenitent » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:12 pm

the architecture is impressive

-Imp

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Can you think of anything good about islam ?

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:54 pm

Pluto wrote:Its followers are pressed to refrain from smoking and consuming alcohol. These are drugs, yet admittedly, you consume the bigger drug of Islam, to side-step the former.
I think you might be wrong about smoking.
They make a fetish out of smoking in the Islamic countries I have visited.
I was constantly being offered a hookah (shisha).

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Can you think of anything good about islam ?

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:55 pm

Impenitent wrote:the architecture is impressive

-Imp
I don't that "Islam" has any architectural designs in it, as such.

BigWhit
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:20 pm

Re: Can you think of anything good about islam ?

Post by BigWhit » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:05 am

Nothing good ever came out of believing absurdities without evidence. There's no good to any religion. The difference between Islam and Christianity as they are practiced today is that Christianity has been (largely) tamed by the secularism that has arisen from the enlightenment in the last 400 years. If you compare the Christianity of 400-500 years ago with the Islam of today there is literally no difference between them.

Pluto
Posts: 1856
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 9:26 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: Can you think of anything good about islam ?

Post by Pluto » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:30 am

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Pluto wrote:Its followers are pressed to refrain from smoking and consuming alcohol. These are drugs, yet admittedly, you consume the bigger drug of Islam, to side-step the former.
I think you might be wrong about smoking.
They make a fetish out of smoking in the Islamic countries I have visited.
I was constantly being offered a hookah (shisha).
Yes point taken. I was thinking of those young modern islamists who refrain from smoking 'western-style' cigarettes, such as Marlboro, etc.

Obvious Leo
Posts: 4011
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 1:05 am
Location: Australia

Re: Can you think of anything good about islam ?

Post by Obvious Leo » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:59 am

In the early centuries of Islam scholars were granted a degree of intellectual freedom which was unheard of in Christian Europe at the time. All of the arts and sciences flourished without interference from either church or state in universities which were a beacon for some of the sharpest minds in the Islamic world. After the crusades much of this knowledge eventually found its way into the cloistered houses of European learning via the Moors in Spain. However most of the Islamic world failed to capitalise on its promising start as it gradually fell under the sway of rival factional warlords. They haven't stopped fighting with each other ever since and every time other countries poke their noses in it only seems to make matters worse. Gods are an even more stupid myth than money on which to found a culture.

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 11151
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: Can you think of anything good about islam ?

Post by Arising_uk » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:21 am

It's colour-blind.

It helps the poor and needy.

It does not practice usury.

It recommends that it's followers must follow the laws of the country they are in.

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Can you think of anything good about islam ?

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:29 pm

BigWhit wrote:Nothing good ever came out of believing absurdities without evidence. There's no good to any religion. The difference between Islam and Christianity as they are practiced today is that Christianity has been (largely) tamed by the secularism that has arisen from the enlightenment in the last 400 years. If you compare the Christianity of 400-500 years ago with the Islam of today there is literally no difference between them.
You are basically correct except that you are ignorant of the breadth of belief that Islam characterises. And possibly ignoring some of the most radical forms of Christianity.

You are also guilty of massive hyperbole. Did you really mean "literally no difference"? How about the belief that Mohammed was a prophet? That is a big literal difference.

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Can you think of anything good about islam ?

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:30 pm

Pluto wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Pluto wrote:Its followers are pressed to refrain from smoking and consuming alcohol. These are drugs, yet admittedly, you consume the bigger drug of Islam, to side-step the former.
I think you might be wrong about smoking.
They make a fetish out of smoking in the Islamic countries I have visited.
I was constantly being offered a hookah (shisha).
Yes point taken. I was thinking of those young modern islamists who refrain from smoking 'western-style' cigarettes, such as Marlboro, etc.
Never heard of them.

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Can you think of anything good about islam ?

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:37 pm

Obvious Leo wrote:In the early centuries of Islam scholars were granted a degree of intellectual freedom which was unheard of in Christian Europe at the time. All of the arts and sciences flourished without interference from either church or state in universities which were a beacon for some of the sharpest minds in the Islamic world. After the crusades much of this knowledge eventually found its way into the cloistered houses of European learning via the Moors in Spain. However most of the Islamic world failed to capitalise on its promising start as it gradually fell under the sway of rival factional warlords. They haven't stopped fighting with each other ever since and every time other countries poke their noses in it only seems to make matters worse. Gods are an even more stupid myth than money on which to found a culture.

This statement defies belief, condensing a thousand years of history into a single myopic falsehood;
" via the Moors in Spain. However most of the Islamic world failed to capitalise on its promising start as it gradually fell under the sway of rival factional warlords."

In a very important way it was the success of Islam that snuffed out that fluorescence, as its spiney fingers started to form into a fist. In much the same way the the Christianised Roman Empire closed the schools of philosophy and imposed a continent wide Aristotelean/Christian dogma after Justinian.
It was not really until the big schism in Christianity that learning was able to find a way between the cracks.

Obvious Leo
Posts: 4011
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 1:05 am
Location: Australia

Re: Can you think of anything good about islam ?

Post by Obvious Leo » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:16 pm

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Obvious Leo wrote:In the early centuries of Islam scholars were granted a degree of intellectual freedom which was unheard of in Christian Europe at the time. All of the arts and sciences flourished without interference from either church or state in universities which were a beacon for some of the sharpest minds in the Islamic world. After the crusades much of this knowledge eventually found its way into the cloistered houses of European learning via the Moors in Spain. However most of the Islamic world failed to capitalise on its promising start as it gradually fell under the sway of rival factional warlords. They haven't stopped fighting with each other ever since and every time other countries poke their noses in it only seems to make matters worse. Gods are an even more stupid myth than money on which to found a culture.

This statement defies belief, condensing a thousand years of history into a single myopic falsehood;
" via the Moors in Spain. However most of the Islamic world failed to capitalise on its promising start as it gradually fell under the sway of rival factional warlords."

In a very important way it was the success of Islam that snuffed out that fluorescence, as its spiney fingers started to form into a fist. In much the same way the the Christianised Roman Empire closed the schools of philosophy and imposed a continent wide Aristotelean/Christian dogma after Justinian.
It was not really until the big schism in Christianity that learning was able to find a way between the cracks.
None of what you say here refutes what I said. I've always maintained that religious belief of all sorts has been the single greatest impediment to human progress throughout human history. Are you denying that the arts and sciences flourished under early Islam?

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Can you think of anything good about islam ?

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:42 pm

Obvious Leo wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Obvious Leo wrote:In the early centuries of Islam scholars were granted a degree of intellectual freedom which was unheard of in Christian Europe at the time. All of the arts and sciences flourished without interference from either church or state in universities which were a beacon for some of the sharpest minds in the Islamic world. After the crusades much of this knowledge eventually found its way into the cloistered houses of European learning via the Moors in Spain. However most of the Islamic world failed to capitalise on its promising start as it gradually fell under the sway of rival factional warlords. They haven't stopped fighting with each other ever since and every time other countries poke their noses in it only seems to make matters worse. Gods are an even more stupid myth than money on which to found a culture.

This statement defies belief, condensing a thousand years of history into a single myopic falsehood;
" via the Moors in Spain. However most of the Islamic world failed to capitalise on its promising start as it gradually fell under the sway of rival factional warlords."

In a very important way it was the success of Islam that snuffed out that fluorescence, as its spiney fingers started to form into a fist. In much the same way the the Christianised Roman Empire closed the schools of philosophy and imposed a continent wide Aristotelean/Christian dogma after Justinian.
It was not really until the big schism in Christianity that learning was able to find a way between the cracks.
None of what you say here refutes what I said. I've always maintained that religious belief of all sorts has been the single greatest impediment to human progress throughout human history. Are you denying that the arts and sciences flourished under early Islam?
Exactly. I deny it thoroughly. You might as well say that space science and genetic flourished under Christianity.
Arts and Science flourished despite Islam, and with each century its progress diminished and Islam spread.

This modern ("Islam is nice") myth relies on the fact that after the fall of Rome much of our ancient writing was preserved in Arabic during the european dark age. Many of the texts were re-learned subsequently.
Just because learning continued after Mohammed as well as before him, does not mean that we "owe" Islam the few nuggets we got from it.
I don't know if you have anything in mind specifically, but I can't think of much in the period in which Islam was fully in control of N Africa, and the Middle East that actually advanced human knowledge.
Most of what the Arabs taught was Ptolemy, Euclid and Aristotle, bringing the decimal system from the far east.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests