The Philosophical Absurdity of What America Has Become

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Bill Wiltrack

The Philosophical Absurdity of What America Has Become

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

After living through this for the past three months I can tell you, I have NEVER witnessed anything like this in the 60 years I have been on earth.

Donald J Trump shook-up policies & created intense interest in the politics
of politics ONE YEAR PRIOR TO A MAJOR ELECTION!

Don't like his stance & I think he would make a horrible President for this country but I LOVE WHAT HE HAS DONE.

As an American I AM SOOOOO SICK of what politicians have become.

Donald Trump exemplifies the absurdity and phoniness of what America has become
in a way that is entertaining before it becomes terrifying...

bobevenson

Re: The Philosophical Absurdity of What America Has Become

Post by bobevenson »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:As an American I AM SOOOOO SICK of what politicians have become.
You're beginning to sound like a prospective member of the AEP!
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Bill, I think Tesla might have been talking about your birth.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Just saw the inevitable republican presidential nominee for the 2016 campaign.

Number one - he is FOR waterboarding AND BEYOND.

...Jesus. What has America become?

His initial focus, a focus that he still maintains, a focus that ALL other republican presidential nominees have now adopted is THE WALL.

A wall that runs the length of the boarder between Mexico and America.

Just a cursory pass upon why this idea will show us why this concept is faulty and, thankfully,impossible to implement.

#1 - Drones can now carry humans 5,000 ft high an 5 miles long. Actually drones are safer, cheaper, more efficient and secure than the traditional van-across-the-border illegal immigration means.

#2 - We exist in a world-wide marketplace. Like it or not each individual on the planet is a citizen of the world. To attempt to build any type of physical wall will serve only to isolate Americans from the rest of the world.

#3 - In the history of man walls around boarders NEVER have worked for the intended use. Now more than ever a physical wall will not accomplish a barrier of Amazon products or acual human beings.

#4 - What if Mexico says NO. We will NOT pay for a wall. Then this linchpin of a political promise vanishes. Why would we want to be dependent upon another country for a major American policy. That is not solid footing.

#5 - What if the American public does not want a wall? No one has asked for our opinion & I think this is a major step in the opposite direction upon which this country was founded.

#6 - Over the last ten years more Mexicans have actually returned to Mexico from America than entered into America from Mexico. So, the wall isn't necessary right from the rip.

Jesus...this guy wears soooo much make-up. It's embarrassing as a man to see this and as an American to realize the world is looking at a clownish, animated, third-world type of talking head that undermines what possibly positive things he has brought to the table and to the consciousness of the American public.

And I am convinced that Trump will be the next President of these United States. WTF x 1,000.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

How different is Trump from McCarthy?
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

If you are attempting to make the association between Joseph Joe McCarthy and Donald J Trump I appalaude you for being so astute to American history and politics, for I know that you have lived in a different country all your life.

I think a comparison of philosophical perspectives is not totally unfounded. However, there are significant differences in the make-up of the men themselves.

McCarthy volunteered and served in the military and served as an attorney, judge, and senator whereas Trump obtained a medical deferment to avoid any type of military service and never served any type of political office before running for the presidency.

Philosophically, I guess you could say both were nationalists.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Joseph Raymond "Joe" McCarthy (November 14, 1908 – May 2, 1957) was an American politician who served as a Republican U.S. Senator from the state of Wisconsin from 1947 until his death in 1957. Beginning in 1950, McCarthy became the most visible public face of a period in which Cold War tensions fueled fears of widespread Communist subversion. He was noted for making claims that there were large numbers of Communists and Soviet spies and sympathizers inside the United States federal government and elsewhere. Ultimately, his tactics and inability to substantiate his claims led him to be censured by the United States Senate.

* The term "McCarthyism", coined in 1950 in reference to McCarthy's practices, was soon applied to similar anti-communist activities. Today, the term is used more generally in reference to demagogic, reckless, and unsubstantiated accusations, as well as public attacks on the character or patriotism of political opponents.

McCarthy was born in 1908 in the Town of Grand Chute in Outagamie County, Wisconsin, and attended Marquette University, eventually earning an LL.B. from Marquette University Law School. At age 33, McCarthy volunteered for the United States Marine Corps and served during World War II. He successfully ran for the United States Senate in 1946, defeating Robert M. La Follette Jr. After three largely undistinguished years in the Senate, McCarthy rose suddenly to national fame in February 1950 when he asserted in a speech that he had a list of "members of the Communist Party and members of a spy ring" who were employed in the State Department.

In succeeding years after his 1950 speech, McCarthy made additional accusations of Communist infiltration into the State Department, the administration of President Harry S. Truman, the Voice of America, and the United States Army. He also used various charges of communism, communist sympathies, disloyalty, or homosexuality to attack a number of politicians and other individuals inside and outside of government.

Not as widely known as McCarthy's anti-Communist crusade were his various attempts to intimidate, and expel from government positions, persons whom he accused, or threatened to publicly accuse, of homosexuality. Former U.S. Senator Alan K. Simpson has written, "The so-called 'Red Scare' has been the main focus of most historians of that period of time. A lesser-known element... and one that harmed far more people was the witch-hunt McCarthy and others conducted against homosexuals." This anti-homosexual witch-hunt that McCarthy and others waged alongside their "Red Scare" tactics has been referred to by some as the "Lavender Scare".

With the highly publicized Army–McCarthy hearings of 1954, and following the death of Senator Lester Hunt of Wyoming by suicide that same year, McCarthy's support and popularity faded. On December 2, 1954, the Senate voted to censure Senator McCarthy by a vote of 67 to 22, making him one of the few senators ever to be disciplined in this fashion. McCarthy died at Bethesda Naval Hospital in Bethesda, Maryland on May 2, 1957, at the age of 48. The official cause of death was acute hepatitis; it is widely accepted that this was caused or exacerbated by alcoholism.

Using the material above and more I am interested in what you would glean in a philosophical comparison of these two individuals.

BigWhit

Post by BigWhit »

Politics in the US is not a philosophical absurdity. It is the natural result of the slow erosion of the citizenry's will and ability to check the growth in federal powers, being driven by their lack of interest in what is truth, being able to be enthusiastically led by their ignorance and fear, as a leash, to their own slaughter and the economic slavery of their children through debt.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

don't worry, we have the second and the paradise of revolution is coming

kill the Islamic terrorists first, the leftist terrorists second

history never repeats

party time

-Imp
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

~~~ Winston Churchill ~~~

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Churchill did not say the above Bill.

Wiki is not the font of all wisdom.

Here are things he did say about the average voter.

At the bottom of all the tributes paid to democracy is the little man, walking into the little booth, with a little pencil, making a little cross on a little bit of paper—no amount of rhetoric or voluminous discussion can possibly diminish the overwhelming importance of that point. —House of Commons, 31 October 1944

How is that word “democracy” to be interpreted? My idea of it is that the plain, humble, common man, just the ordinary man who keeps a wife and family, who goes off to fight for his country when it is in trouble, goes to the poll at the appropriate time, and puts his cross on the ballot paper showing the candidate he wishes to be elected to Parliament—that he is the foundation of democracy. And it is also essential to this foundation that this man or woman should do this without fear, and without any form of intimidation or victimization. He marks his ballot paper in strict secrecy, and then elected representatives and together decide what government, or even in times of stress, what form of government they wish to have in their country. If that is democracy, I salute it. I espouse it. I would work for it.” —House of Commons, 8 December 1944
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Here's the link.

You're welcome.

Democracy is nothing but the Tyranny of Majorities, the most abominable tyranny of all, for it is not based on the authority of a religion, not upon the nobility of a race, not on the merits of talents and of riches. It merely rests upon numbers and hides behind the name of the people.

~ Pierre-Joseph Proudhon ~

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Brainyquote :roll: even worse than wiki.

Try a more authoritative source and stop being so gullible and promoting falsehoods as fact. You are a prime example of why the Internet can be a bad thing.

https://richardlangworth.com/democracy

And given the quotes I gave you from the above site that Churchill made about the average voter I'm at a loss as how you could still have thought to challenge what I said. Oh! I know, you're a Gnu!!
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:...
Using the material above and more I am interested in what you would glean in a philosophical comparison of these two individuals. [/size]
That a fair chunk of Americans want the '50s back.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

WTF?