The Most Ridiculous Headline of the Day

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bobevenson

The Most Ridiculous Headline of the Day

Post by bobevenson »

Reuters
U.S. warns China against backsliding on currency commitments
The United States on Tuesday warned China that any wavering in its commitment to a more market-determined exchange rate would be "troubling," but it said it was not clear if Beijing's yuan devaluation marked such a step.

As stated in Evensonomics 1A, it doesn't make a damn bit of difference how any other country values or devalues its money, not a goddamn bit! And the sooner the U.S. government understands this, the better!
Philosophy Explorer

Re: The Most Ridiculous Headline of the Day

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Hey Bob,

I know you favor Trump, so what do you think about this:

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-presid ... -us-2015-8

PhilX
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Hey Bob,

PhilX
No, I don't favor Trump at all. In fact, I think I probably disagree with every political position he has. But I back him up 100% in having the balls to speak his own mind, to say what he means and to mean what he says. And anybody who doesn't agree with me on this is a pathetic wuss!
Philosophy Explorer

bobevenson wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:Hey Bob,

PhilX
No, I don't favor Trump at all. In fact, I think I probably disagree with every political position he has. But I back him up 100% in having the balls to speak his own mind, to say what he means and to mean what he says. And anybody who doesn't agree with me on this is a pathetic wuss!
This is why I think you favor Trump so I quote you:

"No, what's disintegrating before our very eyes is the ability of anybody in politics to speak frankly (à la Trump) without the whole fucking world coming down on him."

The key word is frankly.

PhilX
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

What the hell are you talking about? I just told you that I probably disagree with every political position he has. I don't want to call you stupid, but you're pressing your luck, pal. You say the key word is "frankly"? No, I can't hold back any longer: you're STUPID!
Philosophy Explorer

bobevenson wrote:What the hell are you talking about? I just told you that I probably disagree with every political position he has. I don't want to call you stupid, but you're pressing your luck, pal. You say the key word is "frankly"? No, I can't hold back any longer: you're STUPID!
Get a life. And get some intelligence.

PhilX
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

After five continuous years of artificially controlling the exchange rate of its own currency through the mechanism of quantitative easing the US is in no position to lecture other states on the virtues of a market-determined international currency exchange. The hypocrisy of this latest announcement is breathtaking.

For those not so familiar with the euphemisms of US monetary policy "quantitative easing" is simply a fancy term for money-printing. The US has a long history of resorting to this tactic when its balance of trade index becomes too heavily skewed against its own economy by ships arriving at its shores fully laden with overseas goods and then returning across the ocean empty except for little bits of paper with IOU written on them. Since WWII the poorer nations of the world have always been required to pick up the tab for US profligate spending and for its lack of international competitiveness in a free market. The US glories in its propaganda of the "level playing field" but when push comes to shove their rhetoric is empty because they say one thing and do another.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Bob. If you're serious in your political ambitions I suggest that you should just focus on making sure that all the shitheads can get all the lethal guns they want. It might be best to leave the economics to those who actually know something about it.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

bobevenson wrote: having the balls to speak his own mind, to say what he means and to mean what he says.
I'm not so sure it's "balls"... rather than some sort of mental dysfunction. A lot of raving maniacs speak their minds and have little self-control. Most of them don't have the means to ascend to having a worldwide audience. I'm not so sure we should hold it in high regard... although it's very entertaining. It seems to be a very discouraging indication of the idiocy of humans. That someone in his position could behave and think in such ways. I comfort/reassure myself by considering -- that in this universe of balances -- there must be a counter-balance for this "extreme"... and such a counter-balance, of the same magnitude, would reflect profound human progress indeed. :D So there may be those waiting for the madness to bring itself to extinction.

It IS very funny that Trump is like a little kid, blurting out all the inappropriate things that the GOP tries to deny or sugar-coat about their views/attitudes. He's giving it all away! And it must be such a burn on them that he is LEADING in the polls, ahead of all of them. People prefer uncontrolled lunacy over deceptive and lame game-playing. Scary choices for a national leader!
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Lacewing. I don't imagine that Trump will ever be seriously considered as a presidential candidate, even by the Republican party which seems to be able to produce an endless stream of such halfwits. However I do find it rather alarming that he is in fact leading in the polls because it shows that spewing out a tirade of hate-speech rhetoric and economic voodoo can indeed pass in the US for "telling it like it is".
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Obvious Leo wrote:Bob. If you're serious in your political ambitions I suggest that you should just focus on making sure that all the shitheads can get all the lethal guns they want. It might be best to leave the economics to those who actually know something about it.
Listen, pal, I know more about economics than anybody else on Earth, past, present or future. In fact, I'm the only person who can even properly define the word. For your personal edification, economics is the allocation of property and labor, nothing more and nothing less. Aren't you glad you've got Bob the Baptist rather than the government to guide you through life?
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Lacewing wrote:... rather than some sort of mental dysfunction.
Why don't you take a course in American English, the standard of the world, and start spelling words properly, like "disfunction."
Philosophy Explorer

bobevenson wrote:
Why don't you take a course in American English, the standard of the world, and start spelling words properly, like "disfunction."
Bob,

I hate to break it to you. Lacewing is right, you're dead wrong so you better get yourself a spellchecker.

PhilX
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
bobevenson wrote:
Bob, I hate to break it to you. Lacewing is right, you're dead wrong so you better get yourself a spellchecker.
Sorry, but I speak modern American English:
Word Origin and History for disfunction n.
1927, variant of dysfunction (q.v.).
Philosophy Explorer

bobevenson wrote:Word Origin and History for disfunction n.
1927, variant of dysfunction (q.v.).[/b][/size][/color]
I've checked two different ways and disfunction doesn't exist. Which website has it?

PhilX

PS Just found this through research:

http://english.stackexchange.com/questi ... ysfunction