What if we had zero taxation and the government kept the rig

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Wootah

Re: What if we had zero taxation and the government kept the

Post by Wootah »

It might be time to play that game you keep talking about....

So is it a yardage tax or the value of the land or the income produced from the land?

Is one meter of a gold mine taxed the same as one meter of my living room?
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Wootah wrote:It might be time to play that game you keep talking about....

So is it a yardage tax or the value of the land or the income produced from the land?

Is one meter of a gold mine taxed the same as one meter of my living room?
I don't know how I can simplify the tax question any further than I have, but again, the only proper form of taxation is a single ad valorem tax on property, property being defined as anything with intrinsic market value. For instance, money and stocks and bonds have no intrinsic value and are not subject to taxation. But factories, boats, cars, jewelry, land and houses do have intrinsic value and are subject to taxation at whatever value they have. That's about as clear as I can make it.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Skip wrote:The taxation problem has been raised many times, in many forms. it usually generates discussion, but it's a sort of free-floating receptacle of drive-by opinions, with no anchor in reality; therefore, pointless.

If you wanted meaningful discussion, you'd have to start with an actual philosophy of governance.

What is the purpose of a governing body? For whose benefit does it exist? like that.

To add one bit of simplification to the equation, the purpose of a government, as stated above, is to protect each individual from other individuals or organizations. When the government attempts to protect the individual from him/herself, it is over stepping its mandate, and is infringing on our freedoms.