Noam Chomsky: What I'd like to see...

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Bill Wiltrack

Noam Chomsky: What I'd like to see...

Post by Bill Wiltrack » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:11 pm

There are major institutions that are specifically dedicated to undermining authentic democracy. One of them is called the public relations industry. A huge industry, it was in fact developed on the principle that it's necessary to regiment the minds of men, much as an army regiments its soldiers - I was actually quoting from one of its leading figures before.

The role of the PR industry in elections is explicitly to undermine the school-child version of democracy. What you learn in school is that democracies are based on informed voters making rational decisions. All you have to do is take a look at an electoral campaign run by the PR industry and see that the purpose is to create uninformed voters who will make irrational decisions. For the PR industry that's a very easy transition from their primary function.

Their primary function is commercial advertising. Commercial advertising is designed to undermine markets. If you took an economics course you learned that markets are based on informed consumers making rational choices. If you turn on the TV set, you see that ads are designed to create irrational, uninformed consumers making irrational choices. The whole purpose is to undermine markets in the technical sense.

Noam Chomsky: What I'd like to see on front pages of newspapers