Margaret Thatcher, R.I.P.

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

tbieter
Posts: 1201
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:45 pm
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota, USA

Margaret Thatcher, R.I.P.

Post by tbieter »

User avatar
The Voice of Time
Posts: 2234
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:18 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Margaret Thatcher, R.I.P.

Post by The Voice of Time »

a bloody awful person, as far as I know. They don't call her the "Iron Lady" for nothing. There are far better feminist leaders out there by my opinion. Like current Liberian president Ellen Johnson Sirleaf or three times Norwegian prime minister Gro Harlem Brundtland.
Brundtland's Second Cabinet was a minority, Labour Government of Norway. It succeeded the Conservative Willoch's Second Cabinet, and sat between 9 May 1986 and 16 October 1989. It was replaced by the Conservative/Centre/Christian Democrat cabinet Syse after the 1989 election. The cabinet was historic in that 8 of the 18 members were female, to then the highest female share in a government ever in the world.
User avatar
Rortabend
Posts: 261
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:36 am
Location: Cambridge

Re: Margaret Thatcher, R.I.P.

Post by Rortabend »

If you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all...
User avatar
The Voice of Time
Posts: 2234
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:18 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Margaret Thatcher, R.I.P.

Post by The Voice of Time »

Rortabend wrote:If you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all...
On the contrary. People should be condemned either living or dead. Anything else is absurd and hostile to people's right to express their views on the truth of individuals. Would you ask me to shut up at the day of the death of Pol Pot or Stalin or Hitler? Should I keep my mouth shut or alternatively give them praise just because they were dead...? I'd be violently opposed to a "yes" there.

In fact, people who are dead are the ones who deserve the least respect, because they simply don't need it, they are dead.
bobevenson
Posts: 7349
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:02 am
Contact:

Re: Margaret Thatcher, R.I.P.

Post by bobevenson »

She was a person of more vision than anybody else in Europe. She promoted free-market capitalism and limited government (not that socialistic crap most Europeans believe in).
spike
Posts: 850
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:29 pm

Re: Margaret Thatcher, R.I.P.

Post by spike »

tbieter wrote:A great feminist leader.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/04 ... html?flv=1
She was not a feminist leader. In fact she infuriated feminist because she did not support the cause. To feminists she acted too much like a man, not a woman.
spike
Posts: 850
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:29 pm

Re: Margaret Thatcher, R.I.P.

Post by spike »

Bill, I wish you would take a sabbatical, one that takes years.
User avatar
Bill Wiltrack
Posts: 5468
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:52 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Contact:

Re: Margaret Thatcher, R.I.P.

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

.



Why?



.
spike
Posts: 850
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:29 pm

Re: Margaret Thatcher, R.I.P.

Post by spike »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.



Why?



.
Sorry, Bill, but I don't like your oversized postings and their often ugly content.
Impenitent
Posts: 3259
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Margaret Thatcher, R.I.P.

Post by Impenitent »

leftist compassion is a beautiful thing...

-Imp
User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 12314
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: Margaret Thatcher, R.I.P.

Post by Arising_uk »

Impenitent wrote:leftist compassion is a beautiful thing...

-Imp
A lot of people have memories of her 'compassion' and the bruises to go with it.
Impenitent
Posts: 3259
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Margaret Thatcher, R.I.P.

Post by Impenitent »

her compassion isn't the problem

the left screams that they are the compassionate ones (with other people's money- but that's beside the point)

-Imp
User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 12314
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: Margaret Thatcher, R.I.P.

Post by Arising_uk »

Impenitent wrote:her compassion isn't the problem

the left screams that they are the compassionate ones (with other people's money- but that's beside the point)

-Imp
Hmm...I disagree, her 'compassion' did not extend to those communities and families she destroyed for essentially a political ideology and a political grudge. the irony is her party is now moaning about a situation that they essentially created for a short term profit for themselves, i.e. a benefits 'culture', i.e. Marx's lumpen proles and a completely corrupt finance and banking system. Don't get me wrong, once upon a time I hated this woman with a vengeance but I've mellowed with age so, to my surprise, I won't be going to cheer at her funeral as I think the left could learn from her in having an actual political philosophy that fits the world about us and the aspirations of many of its citizens.
tbieter
Posts: 1201
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:45 pm
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota, USA

Re: Margaret Thatcher, R.I.P.

Post by tbieter »

Arising_uk wrote:
Impenitent wrote:her compassion isn't the problem

the left screams that they are the compassionate ones (with other people's money- but that's beside the point)

-Imp
Hmm...I disagree, her 'compassion' did not extend to those communities and families she destroyed for essentially a political ideology and a political grudge. the irony is her party is now moaning about a situation that they essentially created for a short term profit for themselves, i.e. a benefits 'culture', i.e. Marx's lumpen proles and a completely corrupt finance and banking system. Don't get me wrong, once upon a time I hated this woman with a vengeance but I've mellowed with age so, to my surprise, I won't be going to cheer at her funeral as I think the left could learn from her in having an actual political philosophy that fits the world about us and the aspirations of many of its citizens.
Yesterday and today on Fox I heard speakers say that when she entered office the UK unemployment rate was at 13%. When she left it was 5.8%. Did she reduce unemployment? What was your standard of living when she was in office?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unemployme ... ed_Kingdom
Post Reply