Trump Derangement Syndrome

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

tillingborn

Re: Trump Derangement Syndrome

Post by tillingborn »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:54 pmMy own researches have led me to understand that there are élites (I apologize for the word but there is no other) who have an interest in demographically reconstituting the American nation.
How many elites have you discovered, and in how many ways do their members wish to reconstitute American demographics?
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:54 pmSo this is why everything having to do with racial identity has so quickly rushed to the surface over the last 10 years or so.
I'm surprised you think it so recent for a country that went to war with itself over slavery, and enforced segregation until the 1960's.
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:54 pmThe issue, the reality, of shifting demographics (i.e. racial and ethnic composition) is thus one of the primary factors in civil conflict -- though it is almost impossible for this issue to be talked about openly or clearly. It is certainly not possible that those who are (as they perceive) being replaced, or pushed aside, denegrated, etc., could be seen as having a valid perspective.
Do you not think one first has to believe that "being replaced" is valid perspective? Where would that idea come from?
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

tillingborn wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:31 pm
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:54 pmMy own researches have led me to understand that there are élites (I apologize for the word but there is no other) who have an interest in demographically reconstituting the American nation.
How many elites have you discovered, and in how many ways do their members wish to reconstitute American demographics?
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:54 pmSo this is why everything having to do with racial identity has so quickly rushed to the surface over the last 10 years or so.
I'm surprised you think it so recent for a country that went to war with itself over slavery, and enforced segregation until the 1960's.
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:54 pmThe issue, the reality, of shifting demographics (i.e. racial and ethnic composition) is thus one of the primary factors in civil conflict -- though it is almost impossible for this issue to be talked about openly or clearly. It is certainly not possible that those who are (as they perceive) being replaced, or pushed aside, denegrated, etc., could be seen as having a valid perspective.
Do you not think one first has to believe that "being replaced" is valid perspective? Where would that idea come from?
In the world in which I live, in the world of participation in a forum like this, I have certain rules of etiquette. One thing I have noticed, and this is because we are in a strange, and I think an hysterical social situation where people, literally, cannot talk to others whose views are very different without immediately falling into unproductive patterns of (unfruitful) communication. It is possible, and also necessary, to anticipate this. And I will not conceal from you that I anticipated that your next move would be as it appears here.

In order to converse with me, if conversation is what you seek, you will have to respond to any particular point in an essay-form. That is, write out a statement of what you think I am saying and then, using conventional modes of upright discourse, explain your agreement or your opposition.

This is not an interrogation-session where I must respond to your questions -- which are far more than questions really. I am certain that many of my ideas about *things* do not and will not accord with your own. Nevertheless, it can be useful to understand other viewpoints.

The questions you ask can be answered with counter-questions:

Do you think that élite people, groups or entities have no molding power? Is that what you are saying? If you do think that, how would you respond, for one example, to what Edward Bernays wrote?
“The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. ...We are governed, our minds are molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested, largely by men we have never heard of. This is a logical result of the way in which our democratic society is organized. Vast numbers of human beings must cooperate in this manner if they are to live together as a smoothly functioning society. ...In almost every act of our daily lives, whether in the sphere of politics or business, in our social conduct or our ethical thinking, we are dominated by the relatively small number of persons...who understand the mental processes and social patterns of the masses. It is they who pull the wires which control the public mind.”
Are you saying that if, in any given culture, that where the inhabitants of that community or state were actually being replaced, that their resistance to being replaced in not valid? Are you saying that, in the situation I described, that they would have no *right* to oppose it? Would you say that there opposition is an immoral or unethical one?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

commonsense wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:03 pm For anyone who is uninclined to conduct an internet search on his own, here is the pablum you need, spoon fed to your needs:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_ ... ywood_tape
Ditto:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_ ... nformation
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

tillingborn wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:31 pm How many elites have you discovered, and in how many ways do their members wish to reconstitute American demographics?
Do you do humor? 😁

The number of elites is . . .
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:06 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:01 pm
tillingborn wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:31 pm What evidence have you...
You have it. If you can't see it, nobody can help you. Sorry.
erm...
Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:07 pm You need to prove that you have the evidence of what you claim...
I say again: "You have the evidence.

I can't 'see' it for you." Nobody can make you see it. It's up to you to open your eyes. And if you don't want to, nobody can make you.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:53 pmIn order to converse with me, if conversation is what you seek, you will have to respond to any particular point in an essay-form.
I have no intention of doing so. You don't have to respond to anything I write if it doesn't match your criteria.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:58 pmDo you do humor? 😁
Certainly.
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:58 pmThe number of elites is . . .
Very funny. I take it you concede my point.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

tillingborn wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:01 pm
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:53 pmIn order to converse with me, if conversation is what you seek, you will have to respond to any particular point in an essay-form.
I have no intention of doing so. You don't have to respond to anything I write if it doesn't match your criteria.
It does not surprise me at all.

And I assert that one can examine that and try to understand why that is. That you (and people like you, on forums like this, today) start from an initial, a priori determination of refusal to communicate through civil discourse. And if what I have stated is true then you (and people like you) come to a place like this for other, less obvious reasons. It seems to me that the reason is simply 'to fight' and 'to bicker'.

Does this seem correct?
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

tillingborn wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:09 pm
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:58 pmDo you do humor? 😁
Certainly.
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:58 pmThe number of elites is . . .
Very funny. I take it you concede my point.
No, certainly I do not. But I concede that the point you wish to make functions within an established paradigm. It would be much better to break out of the constraints of that (ridiculous and non-productive) paradigm. That is the point I make.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Tillingborn, is any of this a possible topic that we might discuss? Do you have any thoughts on the topic?
AJ wrote: Do you think that élite people, groups or entities have no molding power? Is that what you are saying? If you do think that, how would you respond, for one example, to what Edward Bernays wrote?
Bernays wrote: “The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. ...We are governed, our minds are molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested, largely by men we have never heard of. This is a logical result of the way in which our democratic society is organized. Vast numbers of human beings must cooperate in this manner if they are to live together as a smoothly functioning society. ...In almost every act of our daily lives, whether in the sphere of politics or business, in our social conduct or our ethical thinking, we are dominated by the relatively small number of persons...who understand the mental processes and social patterns of the masses. It is they who pull the wires which control the public mind.”
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:11 pm
tillingborn wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:01 pm
It does not surprise me at all.

And I assert that one can examine that and try to understand why that is. That you (and people like you, on forums like this, today) start from an initial, a priori determination of refusal to communicate through civil discourse.
The problem I have with your essay form:
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:53 pmThat is, write out a statement of what you think I am saying and then, using conventional modes of upright discourse, explain your agreement or your opposition.
is the wasted effort. For example:
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:21 pmDo you think that élite people, groups or entities have no molding power? Is that what you are saying? If you do think that, how would you respond, for one example, to what Edward Bernays wrote?
I do not think elites have no moulding power. How much must I accommodate your misconceptions for you to think me civil?
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:11 pmAnd if what I have stated is true then you (and people like you) come to a place like this for other, less obvious reasons. It seems to me that the reason is simply 'to fight' and 'to bicker'.

Does this seem correct?
No doubt there are people who wish only to bicker, but when you "try to understand", you do so within your own context. Everybody does. You are more nuanced than some on this forum, but there is a butterfly effect that afflicts those who think in 'essay form'. If you create a character for me, based on false premise, I quickly become unrecognisable. It is not bickering, in my view, to point out flaws in your creation.
So, speaking as myself, rather than who you think I am, Bernays was one of the most influential thinkers of the last century. He didn't really say anything that wasn't expressed by Plato or Machiavelli; manipulating others is old hat and can be done for good or bad. Take smoking. Bernays is notorious for his 'Torches of Freedom' campaign; good for tobacco companies, bad for the women who died of cancer as a result. On the other hand, people's attitude to public smoking, certainly in western Europe and North America has been deliberately and largely successfully engineered by respective governments. One theory being that the change in attitude came about when the cost of treating illness associated with smoking, overtook the revenue earned from the sale of cigarettes.
With regard to the WEF, yes of course they have as much power to mould views as any organisation. The thing is they don't always do it very well. What is, in my view, a completely benign promotion of initiatives like the Toronto Tool Library or London's Library of Things has been manipulated by groups opposed to the WEF into being a threat to our rights of ownership. Who might be behind such a move? Well, huddle round; Black and Decker won't sell as many power tools; it is very much in their interest to persuade us that tool libraries are a threat to our freedom.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:59 pmI say again: "You have the evidence.

I can't 'see' it for you." Nobody can make you see it. It's up to you to open your eyes. And if you don't want to, nobody can make you.
We all have the evidence. What some of us lack is the paranoia and misanthropy to see it as you do. You would do well to learn about Edward Bernays who Alexis Jacobi has brought up. You are clearly a victim of Black and Decker misinformation. Would you care to play poker some time?
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:59 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:06 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:01 pm
You have it. If you can't see it, nobody can help you. Sorry.
erm...
Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:07 pm You need to prove that you have the evidence of what you claim...
I say again: "You have the evidence.

So the problem lies with us, and our inability to read between the lines?
Walker

Post by Walker »

tillingborn wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:33 pm
Walker wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:18 pm A place that deserves my attention deserves truth.
What is so deserving about your attention?
My voice that speaks for the attention that All possesses, as human beings.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

tillingborn wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:15 amNo doubt there are people who wish only to bicker, but when you "try to understand", you do so within your own context. Everybody does. You are more nuanced than some on this forum, but there is a butterfly effect that afflicts those who think in 'essay form'. If you create a character for me, based on false premise, I quickly become unrecognisable. It is not bickering, in my view, to point out flaws in your creation.
No, of course you are right. I mentioned 'bickering' because, so often, conversations devolve to that.
So, speaking as myself, rather than who you think I am, Bernays was one of the most influential thinkers of the last century. He didn't really say anything that wasn't expressed by Plato or Machiavelli; manipulating others is old hat and can be done for good or bad. Take smoking. Bernays is notorious for his 'Torches of Freedom' campaign; good for tobacco companies, bad for the women who died of cancer as a result. On the other hand, people's attitude to public smoking, certainly in western Europe and North America has been deliberately and largely successfully engineered by respective governments. One theory being that the change in attitude came about when the cost of treating illness associated with smoking, overtook the revenue earned from the sale of cigarettes.
I brought up the notion of "the conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses" and that "those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country" in order to contextualize the conversation that might develop in respect to what you wrote:
You were commenting on my statement that recently the issue of *race* and *ethnicity* has so strongly come to define the present, and I am referring to Critical Race Theory, to the introduction of this social-political ideology deeply into pedagogy, and indeed what I understand as a branch of the élite manipulation of public opinion "largely by men we have never heard of".

I am interested in your phrasing "for a country that went to war with itself". (Sorry, I can't help but focus on this since the War Between the States was for a time an area of study for me). That phrasing is an example of manipulation of idea. A war was waged by the North against the Southern sections for a range of different reasons. There are entire sets of false-premises and false-assertions, concocted by the power that waged the war, which now are accepted as 'the truth of the matter'. These are lies and mis-truths that operate, profoundly, within America and in America's self-conception. It is not so much that I reject those war propaganda claims as it is that I am interested in élite manipulation by those people and forces we often remain unaware of -- and of course I assume that you get where I am going here. For you perhaps there is no conversation to be had here (?) yet for me there very much is: it all begins here in my view.

The title of the thread is Trump Derangement Syndrome and I certainly assert that reaction to Donald Trump by the "establishment", as well as the reaction to 'élite processes of social manipulation' among the demographic that elected Trump, is a topic worthy of conversation. You are writing here so I assume you are interested in the conversation.

What I have done, and I think much more than many, is to study by directly reading the writing of those who are opposed to the present outcomes in American culture. I am interested in 'dissident opinion' and the ideas or assertions upon which this dissident opinion is based. My assertion is this: If someone interested in the upheavals in American culture does not do this they will not be able to accurately see and understand what is taking shape today. They will misunderstand, certainly, and they will also mis-see.

I am aware, and it has become very apparent to me, that in the present political climate any reasoned and reasonable approach to examining the ideas of those I call the Dissident Right, and which they call Nazis & Terrorists (note the ultra-hot term) is understood to be a form of complicity. The level of polarity, and the level of intensely hot rhetoric must be cut through as an initial act to attain clarity. If you speak reasonably about the ideas & opinions of those who have been branded Nazis and Terrorists, you are by that act committing a moral wrong. This is in fact how the game is played.

Naturally I reject this absolutely. Now who then is forming these images of wickedness? and to what end and what purpose? These are the questions that must be asked. So I say that we must desist from focusing on surface and must attempt to penetrate depth. But again that itself will be seen as a wicked-leaning endeavor. To try to see in depth is described as "falling in with conspiracy theory'.
With regard to the WEF, yes of course they have as much power to mould views as any organisation. The thing is they don't always do it very well. What is, in my view, a completely benign promotion of initiatives like the Toronto Tool Library or London's Library of Things has been manipulated by groups opposed to the WEF into being a threat to our rights of ownership. Who might be behind such a move? Well, huddle round; Black and Decker won't sell as many power tools; it is very much in their interest to persuade us that tool libraries are a threat to our freedom.
Here I would say, if you will permit me, that you are seeing surface when a depth-approach and endeavor is needed. So let me clarify: I am asserting that those who handle power have the tools and control the tools to manipulate and direct public opinion. As you well know, because you know of Bernays and about the development of PR and techniques of mass-manipulation, there certainly does appear to be 'élites' who have interests in doing so. If we make a reference to the WEF we are making reference to those people, those groups, but also to something a bit more abstract: to the fact that such manipulation does indeed occur. Indeed if Bernays is correct it is the "unseen mechanism of society [which] constitute[s] an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country".

If that is true then the existence of a para-governmental body that devises the futuristic models should become for us an object of concern. And we have two poles of choice, no? One is agreement, the other disagreement and opposition.