Is the UN worth it?

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Is the UN worth it?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Depending on what you focus on, you may feel either way on the United Nations. Are they worth it?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ
Skip

Re: Is the UN worth it?

Post by Skip »

Have you any idea what-all the various UN agencies have done in the last half century?
https://www.unsystem.org/members/specialized-agencies
Lots of people don't know or care. But, in terms of saving and improving human life, WHO alone is "worth it".
Philosophy Explorer

Skip wrote: โ†‘Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:32 pm Have you any idea what-all the various UN agencies have done in the last half century?
https://www.unsystem.org/members/specialized-agencies
Lots of people don't know or care. But, in terms of saving and improving human life, WHO alone is "worth it".
Including UNICEF, I've heard pros and cons on the UN over the years (other examples would be parking tickets, anti-Israeli bias, etc.)
๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ
Skip

Post by Skip »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:39 pm Including UNICEF, I've heard pros and cons on the UN over the years (other examples would be parking tickets, anti-Israeli bias, etc.)
๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ
You've heard people being against parking tickets as an indictment of the world court, peacekeeping, vaccinations, drought relief,
epidemiology, nuclear facility inspection...? Parking tickets?
I'm not going to ask what 'anti-Israeli' bias means, though I can take a wild guess at the source of that accusation. When you "hear" pros and cons, it might be well to consider the source.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Never been able to work out what exactly it does. Seems to attract has-been politicians and leaders.
Greta

Post by Greta »

If I was Scandinavian I would think it a very good thing and find Trump's rejection of Europe and accommodation of Putin alarming.

https://www.defensenews.com/global/euro ... st-russia/
vegetariantaxidermy

Greta wrote: โ†‘Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:36 am If I was Scandinavian I would think it a very good thing and find Trump's rejection of Europe and accommodation of Putin alarming.

Is there a point here??
Philosophy Explorer

Skip wrote: โ†‘Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:13 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:39 pm Including UNICEF, I've heard pros and cons on the UN over the years (other examples would be parking tickets, anti-Israeli bias, etc.)
๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ
You've heard people being against parking tickets as an indictment of the world court, peacekeeping, vaccinations, drought relief,
I'm not going to ask what 'anti-Israeli' bias means, though I can take a wild guess at the source of that accusation. When you "hear" pros and cons, it might be well to consider the source.
This article describes the anti-Israeli bias:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel, ... ed_Nations

I once heard that the US was annoyed that the UN was behind on paying its rent (I don't know if that issue was resolved which is very minor). WHO is a great organization. The Korean War was conducted by the UN, in part, because the Chinese boycotted the Security Council who would have voted against the UN going to war. So on balance the question stands: is the UN a worthwhile organization?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ
vegetariantaxidermy

I think you will find that people who despise Israel will generally sing the praises of the UN. Make of that what you will.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

I don't like a lot of the actions that have been backed by it. Generally, people who have seen me talking about things know that I am pretty isolationist, and I don't think we should meddle with other countries, especially ones that aren't our allies and have nothing to offer us. As far as keeping international law, I don't know how I feel about that, but the humanitarian stuff is probably also better off being left to charities.
vegetariantaxidermy

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: โ†‘Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:38 pm I don't like a lot of the actions that have been backed by it. Generally, people who have seen me talking about things know that I am pretty isolationist, and I don't think we should meddle with other countries, especially ones that aren't our allies and have nothing to offer us. As far as keeping international law, I don't know how I feel about that, but the humanitarian stuff is probably also better off being left to charities.
That's very good of you.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

Glad you choose to not give me any shit because when I've said that before you deny that's my actual position. So today we get good vege.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:10 pm Depending on what you focus on, you may feel either way on the United Nations. Are they worth it?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ
of course they are, as is NATO.

Rule of Law is important Sir.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Greta wrote: โ†‘Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:36 am If I was Scandinavian I would think it a very good thing and find Trump's rejection of Europe and accommodation of Putin alarming.

me too! do i have to be an swede? or is being an american that value the Rule of Law good enough for you?
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:01 am
Skip wrote: โ†‘Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:13 pm
๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ
This article describes the anti-Israeli bias:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel, ... ed_Nations

I once heard that the US was annoyed that the UN was behind on paying its rent (I don't know if that issue was resolved which is very minor). WHO is a great organization. The Korean War was conducted by the UN, in part, because the Chinese boycotted the Security Council who would have voted against the UN going to war. So on balance the question stands: is the UN a worthwhile organization?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ
is it bias to oppose illegal occupaton (via the Geneva Accords - which Israel signed), and racial bigotry/subjegation of peoples living in lands illegally occupied?

South Africa calling!