A Possible Explanation to the Phenomenon of "Telepathy"

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Arising_uk

Re: A Possible Explanation to the Phenomenon of "Telepathy"

Post by Arising_uk »

Bernard,
No, I'm talking possible future science where we can indefinitely extend ones life-span but can't make ourselves invulnerable. In sci-fi its called emortality.

Although I understand there are many situations where I may prefer to die, personally I think, all things being equal, there is nothing worse than me being dead but its apparently a fact.

I think re-incarnation bunkum invented to keep the proles placid, along with any other form of afterlife. (Although this may be a touch harsh as it could just have been the best explanation they had at the time. But effectively this is what they do.)

I'm getting suspicious about your interest in my potato. Not confidently self-assured that you'll find your own? Well stay away from mine ya bum!
Last edited by Arising_uk on Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bernard wrote:...
Even if spirits did have things like mouths and were able to eat to their hearts content, they'd have awful big shits that they couldn't evacuate, because there are not likely to be assholes allowed in heaven..
:lol:
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

Philosophy is bound by rational thinking? No.

I think there is a case for emortality.
Aetixintro

Post by Aetixintro »

Typist wrote:You heard him Aetixintro. CASE CLOSED!!!
Just because you support the short-sight doesn't mean that this forum has successfully discussed the case of telepathy.
Just as me, you haven't made much academic references yourself.
I don't blame you (the repliers to this topic) for this, but it doesn't make your case stronger either.
Conclusion: I recognise that I've been airing some views on the physics foundation of telepathy in terms of serious reductionism that I really believe in. I also see that more literature-research is to necessary to determine the most plausible argument of this telepathy phenomenon. As such, I deem this CASE still OPEN!!! I probably won't add more to this topic, but you are, of course, welcome to add the whole world to this topic if you want to!

To your help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telepathy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific ... _telepathy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganzfeld_experiment
http://dbem.ws/FeelingFuture.pdf
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/06/scien ... esp&st=cse
By NYTimes, quote:
"One of psychology’s most respected journals has agreed to publish a paper presenting what its author describes as strong evidence for extrasensory perception, the ability to sense future events."

"The paper describes nine unusual lab experiments performed over the past decade by its author, Daryl J. Bem, an emeritus professor at Cornell, testing the ability of college students to accurately sense random events, like whether a computer program will flash a photograph on the left or right side of its screen. The studies include more than 1,000 subjects."

My underlining.

Thus, Daryl J. Bem, Cornell University is the man to look up for. I stick with him as I find it definite too or "statistically significant" as it's otherwise expressed!

Cheers! :)
converge

Post by converge »

Aetixintro wrote: Thus, Daryl J. Bem, Cornell University is the man to look up for. I stick with him as I find it definite too or "statistically significant" as it's otherwise expressed!
Really? He performed the "guess which side has the photo" test three times, and two of the three times they did worse than 50/50 chance, and on the one time they did better than chance it was only 53%. Then two other people redid the test three times each again, and none of them got up to 53%. So one test out of nine came out 3% higher than chance... that sounds insignificant to me. Especially since we don't know how low the bad tests were... if one of them was 47% then it's exactly equal to chance. I agree with the other scientist who thinks the statistics are pretty useless.

The part about Bayesian inference is important too. When someone makes an outlandish claim that is highly improbable given the history of the world, that needs to be factored in. Since no one, ever, anywhere, has ever reliably replicated telepathy, and thousands of experiments have failed, a single experiment showing a 3% gain over chance doesn't mean that there's a 53% chance of telepathy existing. When you factor in the thousands of failed experiments and the complete lack of evidence, that chance drops very close to zero.
Aetixintro

Post by Aetixintro »

First of all, you fail to cite properly, converge! And you have no credits (that we know of) to deem significant research vs. insignificant research (to which I favour prof. Bem's judgment)!!!

Moreover, such an off-hand remark over the "thousands of failed experiments" carries no weight as 1. they are not referenced and 2. they are taken out of thin air where you have no literature study to show for!

Otherwise, all I've been saying is that this case is still open to which I lay down these links. What do you have? Nothing!!!

Last edited by Aetixintro on Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

Aetixintro wrote:
Typist wrote:You heard him Aetixintro. CASE CLOSED!!!
Just because you support the short-sight doesn't mean that this forum has successfully discussed the case of telepathy.
Just as me, you haven't made much academic references yourself.
I don't blame you (the repliers to this topic) for this, but it doesn't make your case stronger either.
Conclusion: I recognise that I've been airing some views on the physics foundation of telepathy in terms of serious reductionism that I really believe in. I also see that more literature-research is to necessary to determine the most plausible argument of this telepathy phenomenon. As such, I deem this CASE still OPEN!!! I probably won't add more to this topic, but you are, of course, welcome to add the whole world to this topic if you want to!

To your help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telepathy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific ... _telepathy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganzfeld_experiment

In 1979, Susan Blackmore visited the laboratories of Carl Sargent in Cambridge. She noticed a number of irregularities in the procedure and wrote about them for the Journal of the Society for Psychical Research.
It now appeared that on one session — number 9 — the following events had taken place.
Sargent did the randomization when he should not have.
A 'B' went missing from the drawer during the session, instead of afterwards.
Sargent came into the judging and 'pushed' the subject towards 'B'.
An error of addition was made in favour of 'B' and 'B' was chosen.
'B' was the target and the session a direct hit.[32]
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

Aetixintro wrote:First of all, you fail to cite properly, converge! And you have no credits (that we know of) to deem significant research vs. insignificant research (to which I favour prof. Bem's judgment)!!!

Moreover, such an off-hand remark over the "thousands of failed experiments" carry no weight as 1. they are not referenced and 2. they are taken out of thin air where you have no literature study to show for!

Otherwise, all I've been saying is that this case is still open to which I lay down these links. What do you have? Nothing!!!

In 1979, Susan Blackmore visited the laboratories of Carl Sargent in Cambridge. She noticed a number of irregularities in the procedure and wrote about them for the Journal of the Society for Psychical Research.
It now appeared that on one session — number 9 — the following events had taken place.
Sargent did the randomization when he should not have.
A 'B' went missing from the drawer during the session, instead of afterwards.
Sargent came into the judging and 'pushed' the subject towards 'B'.
An error of addition was made in favour of 'B' and 'B' was chosen.
'B' was the target and the session a direct hit.[32]

In other word when the whole panoply of science is brought to bear on the question there is basically fuck all found in it.
John

Post by John »

Indeed. All these people claiming they have these remarkable powers but not a single one of them able to demonstrate them and claim the million dollars.

Incidentally, I bought Randi's book Flim-Flam! Psychics, ESP, Unicorns, and Other Delusions last night as it's just been released on Kindle and isn't that easy to get hold of in paperback.
Typist

Post by Typist »

Aetixintro wrote:. As such, I deem this CASE still OPEN!!!
Ah, but my adamant all caps are bigger than yours!

CASE CLOSED!!!

I'm just goofin with ya Aetixintro. Sorry for the distraction, please proceed.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

John wrote:
Indeed. All these people claiming they have these remarkable powers but not a single one of them able to demonstrate them and claim the million dollars.

Incidentally, I bought Randi's book Flim-Flam! Psychics, ESP, Unicorns, and Other Delusions last night as it's just been released on Kindle and isn't that easy to get hold of in paperback.
You might like Carl Sagan's "Demon Haunted World" too.
Aetixintro

Post by Aetixintro »

Let me add another point.

Just because people have had "farm machines" and use these to prove that the Neutron exists and they've failed at it many thousands of times, doesn't mean that the Neutron doesn't exist because it does exist! And it has been proven by people who used the proper equipment and apparatus. So number is not equal to authority or truth value as in number of experiments or so.

[Edit2:] I've forgotten to mention that it has been published in a renowned journal which may indicate a certain prestige or weight of both the professor and this particular kind of research. [End of edit.]

[Edit:] A little thing. An analogy may be that some people who have invested time and serious interest and found telepathy are matched with "morons" who are even refusing to see the possibility for it. It's hard, therefore, to show for anything else than correlation to these people who don't know. [End of edit.]

Point 2. I support James Randi and he's been effective in removing idiot science out of the serious picture. I also think that he has made a prize for a special kind of the ESP and that his description of a certain aspect of ESP doesn't really entail telepathy.

This for now. Cheers! :)
converge

Post by converge »

Aetixintro wrote:First of all, you fail to cite properly, converge! And you have no credits (that we know of) to deem significant research vs. insignificant research (to which I favour prof. Bem's judgment)!!!
I was citing the article that you linked; I thought that was obvious. Did you read the article that you posted?
Aetixintro

Post by Aetixintro »

Did you read the whole article that you cited? You failed to cite properly! There are 2 articles there! (Well, well, 1 article and 1 paper!)

[Edit:]
Also, you fail to recognise that there are 9, nine, different set-ups and you, by your mistake, reason consequently that the whole research is just crap despite the 10, ten, years of continuous efforts! Considering your sloppy approach, I don't think you need to investigate this further. No, leave it to able people, like prof. Bem!

Besides, I've noted before that I really support the best experiment (set-up) to determine Telepathy and this is to my knowledge the "ganzfeld experiment" set-up. Also, one may do well to separate initially those who are positive to such an experiment/phenomenon and those who are negative because the negative people do mostly represent a drag that's not useful!
[End of edit.]

But this doesn't take away my point, regardless! :)