On the Definition of a Black Hole

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Aetixintro

On the Definition of a Black Hole

Post by Aetixintro »

My answer is that Black Holes are sufficiently defined (by their "circles", where the Black Holes start to be black, the rims of them) to consider them defined (as opposed to tacky).

This is in relation to an ongoing discussion that has encumbered my brain for a while now. I'm not sure what the latest is from the Physicists.

Your view? :)
i blame blame

Re: On the Definition of a Black Hole

Post by i blame blame »

Aetixintro wrote:My answer is that Black Holes are sufficiently defined (by their "circles", where the Black Holes start to be black, the rims of them) to consider them defined (as opposed to tacky).

This is in relation to an ongoing discussion that has encumbered my brain for a while now. I'm not sure what the latest is from the Physicists.

I don't think the definition has changed much lately. Any object that is dense enough to have a region around it, in which escape velocity exceeds the speed of light is a black hole.
Aetixintro

Post by Aetixintro »

It's NO about definition (of a black hole) as such! No, you misunderstand.

It's about this: ...defined (as opposed to tacky)...

Dictionary.com for "tacky" if you like.

The importance of this discussion hinges on what the nature of Black Holes is and thus how this nature has implication on a tacky or defined edge! So the nature of the edge of a Black Hole is really a discussion of the nature of the Black Hole. Alright?

Perhaps you haven't followed the discussion between Hawking and others...

Cheers! :)

(Correction: "are" -> "is".)
i blame blame

Post by i blame blame »

Aetixintro wrote:It's NO about definition (of a black hole) as such! No, you misunderstand.

It's about this: ...defined (as opposed to tacky)...

Dictionary.com for "tacky" if you like.

The importance of this discussion hinges on what the nature of Black Holes is and thus how this nature has implication on a tacky or defined edge! So the nature of the edge of a Black Hole is really a discussion of the nature of the Black Hole. Alright?
Yes. If the event horizon has the shape of an oblate spheroid, it has spin. If we could somehow see the shape of the event horizon, we would be able to calculate its mass and spin.
Aetixintro wrote:Perhaps you haven't followed the discussion between Hawking and others...

Cheers! :)

(Correction: "are" -> "is".)
I haven't. Please enlighten.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Aetixintro wrote:My answer is that Black Holes are sufficiently defined (by their "circles", where the Black Holes start to be black, the rims of them) to consider them defined (as opposed to tacky).

Eeeeh, I thnk a definition should describe things in layman terms, thus fully explain things for everyone, not only just some wise people.