Japan

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Aetixintro

Re: Japan

Post by Aetixintro »

Good news and progress: it seems now that a good deal of the radioactive fuel has burnt out, I think. That the radioactive levels we have now never will rise any higher. Cheers! :)
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

Aetixintro wrote:Good news and progress: it seems now that a good deal of the radioactive fuel has burnt out, I think. That the radioactive levels we have now never will rise any higher. Cheers! :)
Where did you hear this?
Aetixintro

Post by Aetixintro »

I'm sorry. I've forgotten to write it's a prediction of mine. :)

Based on the facts that no more severe breaches of the nuclear reactors' vessels will occur and that all other factors remain stable, i.e., no disruptions to the vessels incl. widening ruptures esp. to reactor nr. 2 and so on.

Cheers! :)
John

Post by John »

Don't speak too soon.
Reuters: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:07pm GMT wrote: Japan's nuclear crisis appeared to be spinning out of control on Wednesday after workers withdrew briefly from a stricken power plant because of surging radiation levels and a helicopter failed to drop water on the most troubled reactor.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/03/1 ... SS20110316
artisticsolution

Okay....if this is how it's gonna be...with science building things without fully understanding what happens "IF" or fully having backup plans...just in case. Then they should also resort to doing anything to try to solve the problem...which includes wiley E coyote type of solutions at this point. I mean if they built the thing under those perimeters, then there is no sense to think about things now in a long drawn out fashion. Here is what they should do.

Get huge pieces of plastic sheets and wrap them around the building ala wile e coyote....keep them together with duct tape (after all...that is what they said could help us survive a nuclear accident in our homes!) Flood the kiddie pool they just made out of plastic with water. Keep taping and refilling as it leaks.

Then they will have more time to start building a proper facility to encase these rods.

Men will die during this procedure for sure. So you ask for help from volunteers who don't mind giving their lives to save Japan...and possibly the world.

Then...we round up all the fuckers who didn't think about anything other than the all might dollar when building something so dangerous, and put them on trial for murder. We seize all their assets and give it to the Japanese people....so they can rebuild...if there is anything left of their country after the radiation contamination.
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

:lol: as

your great! :lol: i apologize for laughing in a thread that has such serious subject matter but i couldn't help it. those are kind of the solutions i think of too when these things happen.

we also have nuclear power in the united states, and what is worse is that there is a huge surge of people (here) trying to increase the use of nuclear power as a new and 'better' energy alternative.

common sense you bunch of tits! common sense!

(do you know how many times i've called people tits this week :lol: / you don't even want to know, i thought i was calming down and getting a grip again until i read this thread). :lol:

as for your question about HAARP, i will try and answer a little later on tonight. i know there is a link around here somewhere that AUK shared with me once. it's a not-very-hype- but more straightforward type of video. it is an hour or so long tho. but i think its worth watching. i will try to find it and post it. thanks
artisticsolution

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... 1172.story

I hope this isn't more wiley e. coyote bullshit. Let me guess...they devised a plan to unroll a cartoonishly long power line from atop a huge boulder teetering precariously atop a towering sheer cliff...little pebbles and dirt falling to the chasm below....
artisticsolution

bus2bondi wrote: we also have nuclear power in the united states, and what is worse is that there is a huge surge of people (here) trying to increase the use of nuclear power as a new and 'better' energy alternative.

common sense you bunch of tits! common sense!
Yes I heard that Obama wanted to build more. Do you think they could ever be really safe? Even Nuclear experts admit they don't know much about nuclear technology...and I believe them based on this disaster...I mean it's not like we haven't had disasters before! They should have learned a few things by the other disasters.

Why do these tits not think? I thought they were supposed to have the finest education money can buy.
John

Post by John »

And it's not getting any better: US alarm over Japan atomic crisis (BBC)
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

no i don't believe they could ever be safe. what part of 'nuclear' and 'power' sounds safe? a section of a class i took once devoted itself to promoting nuclear energy as a new alternative. the arguments would make the greatest of skeptics possibly think its ok, but to me all it takes is hearing the words 'nuclear' 'energy'.

and since when do 'things' 'not happen'.

and here is the video about HAARP (a real program run by the government that alters the weather, etc..) if you feel like watching. it's just something i've considered and think would be important to be aware about. http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/1078594
i blame blame

Post by i blame blame »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcikNCsilHk

It's impossible for HAARP to have caused the earthquake, as the seismic energy released in an eartquake of magnitude 9 would be equivalent to 2*10^18 J or 2 Exajoules, which is equivalent to 475 MT of TNT, or 95 of the most powerful thermonuclear weapon ever detonated, the Tsar Bomba.

This is one hundredth of the USA's annual energy consumption.

And this is just the energy released as seismic waves. The entire energy released, the seismic moment, was 3*10²² J, or 30 Zettajoules. This is 6 times the global annual energy consumption.

Wikipedia contributors. Joule [Internet]. Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia; 2011 Mar 14, 00:01 UTC [cited 2011 Mar 17]. Available from: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =418699140.

Seite „Momenten-Magnituden-Skala“. In: Wikipedia, Die freie Enzyklopädie. Bearbeitungsstand: 17. März 2011, 14:19 UTC. URL: http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... d=86570761 (Abgerufen: 17. März 2011, 16:28 UTC)

Wikipedia contributors. Moment magnitude scale [Internet]. Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia; 2011 Mar 17, 03:33 UTC [cited 2011 Mar 17]. Available from: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =419238586.
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

thanks ibb, well i watched your video and i understand your point. and i'd have to say that the girl in the video, the religeous fanatic, doesn't seem very akin to those that were in the video that i shared. the majority of the people in the one i posted seemed like very well reasoned scientists very affluent in their field, offering some very reasonable arguments that were definitly not devoid of scientific fact & calculations. and those that weren't scientists certainly didn't seem to me anyway, like religious fanatics, and definitly not like the girl in the video you posted. and what do they have to gain by saying what they are saying?

again tho, i understand your point. i'm not saying it was HAARP that caused it, but i definitly think its something to consider, and according to the facts and calculations presented in the video by scientists who may or may not be atheists, it's highly possible. and if it was, was it accidental, or out of pure malice, etc.? Japan is a power nation in the big 5. (and if it wasn't haaarp this time, might it be in the future?)

but i couldn't say. i'm just saying its something to consider. especially since one fact of the matter is that HAARP is real, and can alter the weather and more. and that is its purpose.

why?

thanks
Wootah

Post by Wootah »

If you had to summarise you fear factor on the reactor could you do it?

Simple and brief preferred.

Wootah : I think the situation is perilous but not actually dangerous right now. Evacuation should take place in the vicinity of the reactor.
John

Post by John »

Wootah wrote:If you had to summarise you fear factor on the reactor could you do it?

Wootah : I think the situation is perilous but not actually dangerous right now. Evacuation should take place in the vicinity of the reactor.
Perilous and dangerous are pretty much the same thing to me (and the dictionary).
Wootah

Post by Wootah »

John wrote:
Wootah wrote:If you had to summarise you fear factor on the reactor could you do it?

Perilous and dangerous are pretty much the same thing to me (and the dictionary).
I highlighted the word perilous, right clicked my mouse, selected the search google for perilous option and viola:
per·il·ous/ˈperələs/Adjective
1. Full of danger or risk.
2. Exposed to imminent risk of disaster or ruin.

Imminent about to happen, implies has not happened. I think that is the difference, subtle but there but I would agree also confusable.
Race car driving is perilous but not dangerous for a professional.
Parachuting is perilous but not dangerous for a professional.
I am trying to capture that notion. Is there a better word?

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andr ... he_expert/