Computing: "Anti-hacking of wi-fi routers, designation of IP

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Aetixintro

Computing: "Anti-hacking of wi-fi routers, designation of IP

Post by Aetixintro »

-address to existing and pre-approved/designated clients only"
Philosophy of Computing? From http://www.t-lea.net/various_designs.html:
I've seen a report of hacking of a wi-fi network that has been made by a Danish producer. I think in large parts this can be avoided by setting log-in attempts to 3, perhaps a few more, and to designate/send IP-address by the wi-fi router wirelessly to existing and pre-approved/designated clients only. Possibly, if the administrator somehow fails the log-in attempts, then one can set the system to require physical access to ensure physical security. By this, you deny any incidental hook-ups to the network even by chance, making the system very safe. You should be able to design this system this way, optionally or as default to ensure security.

Update, 24.04.2010: You can also open a time frame for logging on new users for authentication and then close this frame by ticking off the box for existing users in a TTL - time to live, manner. Fx. you allow a 1/one hour window for a new user to log on to this wi-fi router. In this time frame, everyone can attempt to log on, but this window will only primarily be known to the administrator and the new user. Not only will a potential intruder have to be in physical range to this wi-fi router, but the intruder will also have to use the correct user-name and password and I believe that all these options combined will make this virtually impossible to hack/make illegal entrance to.
In essence therefore, I'd like there to be four/4 box options:
1. Allow only pre-approved users.
2. Allow only 3 (or more) attempts for log-in.
3. Allow only existing users to log on in addition to new users within a time frame.
4/3.1. Once new users have logged on, close the appropriate number of IP-addresses for log-in possibility/authentication. Fx. 1 new user is opened for to the wi-fi router. Once this user has logged on/been identified as user the wi-fi router closes for all other detected wi-fi unknown/unwanted users. A possible intruder will either then be presented with a false log-in possibility or a page announcing no log on possibility/closed wi-fi router.

By
Terje Lea,
April, 23. and 24., 2010.