6 Times Quantum Physics Blew Our Minds in 2022

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

socrat44

Post by socrat44 »

Quantum telepathy, laser-based time crystals, a glow from empty space
and an “unreal” universe—these are the most awesome (and awfully hard
to understand) results from the subatomic realm we encountered in 2022
By Lee Billings on December 19, 2022
----
The quantum world defies common sense at every turn.
-------
THE UNIVERSE IS KINDA, SORTA UNREAL
This year’s Nobel Prize in Physics went to researchers who spent decades proving the universe
is not locally real—a feat that, to quote humorist Douglas Adams, “has made a lot of people
very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” “Local” here means any object—an apple,
for instance—can be influenced only by its immediate surroundings, not by happenings
on the other side of the universe. “Real” means every object has definite properties regardless
of how it is observed—no amount of squinting will change an apple from red to green.
Except careful, repeated experimentation with entangled particles has conclusively shown
such seemingly sensible restrictions do not always apply to the quantum realm,
the most fundamental level of reality we can measure. If you’re uncertain as to what exactly
the demise of local realism means for life, the universe and, well, everything, don’t worry:
you’re not alone—physicists are befuddled, too.
-----
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... hNXNi73iyw
-----
socrat44

Re: 6 Times Quantum Physics Blew Our Minds in 2022

Post by socrat44 »

"THE UNIVERSE IS KINDA, SORTA UNREAL"
-----
Cosmology.
1- WMAP has confirmed with very high accuracy that the universe is flat,
with an error of only 0.4%. This suggests - the universe is infinite in size.
2- Observations (CMBR) show that temperature of the universe
is isotropic and uniform on large scales
3- The Universe consists of ~ 95% of dark energy + dark matter and ~ 5% of ordinary matter.
4- Black holes in Universe have mass of ~ 10 billion M☉, ~50 billion M☉ . . . etc.
and a temperature ~ millionths of a degree above T=0K.
Conclusion:
With this information, the universe looks "weird" and
has no place for "big bang" on large scale.
-------
Attachments
Gravity-flat-curved.jpg
Gravity-flat-curved.jpg (18.95 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

No one seems to be very interested in this topic. I find that strange, or perhaps I don't find it strange. I suppose people are more interested in serial killer Prince Harry falling onto a dog bowl.
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

As the article says: 'every year physicists deliver mind-boggling new ideas and discoveries harvested from reality’s deep underpinnings, well beyond the frontiers of our perception.'

This excites in me the sense that (as has been said): Reality is not only stranger than we think, it's stranger than we CAN think.

I may not understand the specific science as scientists do, but I understand the implications of potential beyond ourselves. And it is continually unfolding and revealing much more.

That's why many human stories seem so small and contrived to me. But hey, it's the best we know... and we can be fearful, demanding little creatures. We want to design things in our image. We want to be the center of the Universe. We want to believe that we are or can be the height of creation, rewarded by gods.

It's all so fascinating. And funny and ridiculous. And beautiful and horrific. In the sphere of being human -- all of these experiences and feelings and emotions... wow! Then awareness shifts to a new dream, maybe... broader... less entrenched. Whatever it all is... I stand in awe and gratitude... embracing and letting go. Belonging.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:58 pm No one seems to be very interested in this topic. I find that strange, or perhaps I don't find it strange. I suppose people are more interested in serial killer Prince Harry falling onto a dog bowl.
Or they're too intoxicated with their stories to look beyond them when more is discovered. It seems more important to fight over 'being right'. Religious rather than philosophical.
Cerveny

Post by Cerveny »

socrat44 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:01 pm "THE UNIVERSE IS KINDA, SORTA UNREAL"
-----
Cosmology.
1- WMAP has confirmed with very high accuracy that the universe is flat,
with an error of only 0.4%. This suggests - the universe is infinite in size.
2- Observations (CMBR) show that temperature of the universe
is isotropic and uniform on large scales
3- The Universe consists of ~ 95% of dark energy + dark matter and ~ 5% of ordinary matter.
4- Black holes in Universe have mass of ~ 10 billion M☉, ~50 billion M☉ . . . etc.
and a temperature ~ millionths of a degree above T=0K.
Conclusion:
With this information, the universe looks "weird" and
has no place for "big bang" on large scale.
-------
dark matter=gravitationally polarized (gravitating) aether…
socrat44

Post by socrat44 »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:58 pm No one seems to be very interested in this topic. I find that strange, or perhaps I don't find it strange. I suppose people are more interested in serial killer Prince Harry falling onto a dog bowl.
Attachments
Asimov Eureka.jpg
Asimov Eureka.jpg (33.08 KiB) Viewed 1549 times
socrat44

Post by socrat44 »

Lacewing wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:00 am As the article says: 'every year physicists deliver mind-boggling new ideas and discoveries harvested from reality’s deep underpinnings, well beyond the frontiers of our perception.'

This excites in me the sense that (as has been said): Reality is not only stranger than we think, it's stranger than we CAN think.
Attachments
Heisenberg- strange.jpg
Heisenberg- strange.jpg (9.31 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
socrat44

Post by socrat44 »

Lacewing wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:05 am
Or they're too intoxicated with their stories to look beyond them when more is discovered. It seems more important to fight over 'being right'. Religious rather than philosophical.
Attachments
Feynman-error.jpg
Feynman-error.jpg (9.56 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
vegetariantaxidermy

Well this is decidedly uninteresting...
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:49 am Well this is decidedly uninteresting...
C'mon people... we need to excite Veggie!
vegetariantaxidermy

Lacewing wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:09 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:49 am Well this is decidedly uninteresting...
I was referring to the row of 'memes'. I enjoy your comments. They are sort of halfway between science and supersitious whakery. I feel that you have some respect for both.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:23 pm
Lacewing wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:09 pm
I was referring to the row of 'memes'.
I guessed that. :)
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:23 pm I enjoy your comments. They are sort of halfway between science and supersitious whakery. I feel that you have some respect for both.
Thanks, Veggie. Yep... that's the realm I find fascinating.

I've been enjoying your sharp insights lately, cutting through the bullshit.

Post by Age »

Lacewing wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:00 am As the article says: 'every year physicists deliver mind-boggling new ideas and discoveries harvested from reality’s deep underpinnings, well beyond the frontiers of our perception.'

I may not understand the specific science as scientists do, but I understand the implications of potential beyond ourselves. And it is continually unfolding and revealing much more.

That's why many human stories seem so small and contrived to me. But hey, it's the best we know... and we can be fearful, demanding little creatures. We want to design things in our image. We want to be the center of the Universe. We want to believe that we are or can be the height of creation, rewarded by gods.
And 'you' "lacewing" are a prime example of one of those 'demanding little creatures', expecting EVERY one else to LOOK AT and SEE 'things' the way that 'you' do.

Only when 'you' REALLY LET GO of your OWN very small and narrowed views and BELIEFS of 'things', THEN 'you' can and WILL start SEEING thee ACTUAL Truth of 'things'.
Lacewing wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:00 am It's all so fascinating. And funny and ridiculous. And beautiful and horrific. In the sphere of being human -- all of these experiences and feelings and emotions... wow! Then awareness shifts to a new dream, maybe... broader... less entrenched. Whatever it all is... I stand in awe and gratitude... embracing and letting go. Belonging.
vegetariantaxidermy

Here we go... :lol: And what do YOU believe, AGE? I don't recall you ever saying. You spend probably 90 percent of the time disgreeing with everything anyone else says, from every part of the spectrum, but you rarely, if ever, offer an alternative viewpoint or opinion of your own.
'Mary Mary quite contrary...'