How does Einstein’s light clock explain time dilation?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: How does Einstein’s light clock explain time dilation?

Post by Walker »

Impenitent wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:12 pm if time stops when you reach the speed of light, how do you know for how long you are going that fast?

if you are moving at the speed of light for an hour, what year would it be when you slowed back down?

all this assumes instant acceleration/deceleration...

is it relative to that which is moving slower? is it a different time altogether? does a different time necessitate a different space? a different dimension at any rate...

and we have the ironic time traveler... in the dream of existing outside of time, he devises a way to reach the speed of light... but in the years it requires to reach the velocity- he dies of old age...

just some errant thoughts...

-Imp
If you reached the speed of light you would have infinite mass and energy. You would be the universe, so there would be nowhere to go. Nowhere to go, what's the rush? You would be both an irresistible force, and an immovable object.

Post by Age »

Impenitent wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:12 pm if time stops when you reach the speed of light, how do you know for how long you are going that fast?
But 'time', itself, does NOT stop, EVER, no matter what speed one is traveling at.

The CLAIM that 'time stops' is just an outdated theory, which was based upon NEVER even actually KNOWING what 'time' was anyway.
Impenitent wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:12 pm if you are moving at the speed of light for an hour, what year would it be when you slowed back down?
This would all depend on where you were traveling from and to, exactly.

What year it is, absolutely ANYWHERE on earth ,is just a Truly SUBJECTIVE thing, let alone what year it is absolutely ANYWHERE in the Universe.
Impenitent wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:12 pm all this assumes instant acceleration/deceleration...
WHY, what does it matter how long it takes to reach the speed of light if and when what is being talked about is only in regards to when traveling at 'the speed of light'?

But if you are just referring to that one question of yours alone, then again we would need to know where FROM and where TO, exactly you were traveling.
Impenitent wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:12 pm is it relative to that which is moving slower?
NO.
Impenitent wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:12 pm is it a different time altogether?
Is 'what', exactly, are you asking if it is a different time, altogether?
Impenitent wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:12 pm does a different time necessitate a different space? a different dimension at any rate...
No.
Impenitent wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:12 pm and we have the ironic time traveler... in the dream of existing outside of time, he devises a way to reach the speed of light... but in the years it requires to reach the velocity- he dies of old age...
We could also add countless other variations into ANY scenario if you like. Before ANY one so-calls 'dies', babies are created and born, and now what?
Impenitent wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:12 pm just some errant thoughts...

-Imp
Walker

Post by Walker »

More errant thoughts.

Based on the known fact that humans can’t move at light speed:
- Since as mass you can’t move as fast as light, then you as mass must become light to move at light speed.
- If you became light, you would be like the force of a wave moving through water, leaving the water itself unchanged, but using the water to transfer the force of your energy.
- Humans are mostly water.
- The wave force of light moving through a human leaves the human unchanged, but uses the human to assert the force of light energy.
- Are the authorities investigating this?
- Other than batteries, what is the source of light, and the source of that source? Indeed. Let there be light.

Post by Age »

Walker wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:23 pm More errant thoughts.

Based on the known fact that humans can’t move at light speed:
- Since as mass you can’t move as fast as light, then you as mass must become light to move at light speed.
- If you became light, you would be like the force of a wave moving through water, leaving the water itself unchanged, but using the water to transfer the force of your energy.
- Humans are mostly water.
- The wave force of light moving through a human leaves the human unchanged, but uses the human to assert the force of light energy.
- Are the authorities investigating this?
- Other than batteries, what is the source of light, and the source of that source? Indeed. Let there be light.
The 'source' of light are stars, and, the 'source' of stars is the Universe, Itself. So, indeed, let there be en-light-enment upon 'you'.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Age wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:38 am The 'source' of light are stars, and, the 'source' of stars is the Universe, Itself. So, indeed, let there be en-light-enment upon 'you'.
And the source of the universe is?

Post by Age »

Walker wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:33 pm
Age wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:38 am The 'source' of light are stars, and, the 'source' of stars is the Universe, Itself. So, indeed, let there be en-light-enment upon 'you'.
Itself, OBVIOUSLY.

Because of the two things that thee Universe is FUNDAMENTALLY and ACTUALLY made up of, AND, 'how' thee Universe ACTUALLY works, in regards to these two things, thee Universe is continually Creating Itself, ALWAYS, and 'in ALL ways', some might say.

It is thee Universe, Itself, which is thee Source of ALL and EVERY 'thing', including Itself.

And, by the way, this will come to be KNOWN as an IRREFUTABLE Fact.

Now, if absolutely ANY one would like to QUESTION, or even CHALLENGE, me over ANY of 'this', then you are MORE than WELCOME TO.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Age wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:41 pm
Itself, OBVIOUSLY.
Ok. I'll give the Age practice a go.

I'm fiGuring your reply impliEs that The universe has no beginning, which means IT has always existed. Do you figure that your reply implies something else, to ME? If so, EXACTLY what?

(Edit: I forgot to add the LOL. Dang it! Maybe next time. Practice makes perfect.)

Post by Age »

Walker wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:10 pm
Age wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:41 pm
Itself, OBVIOUSLY.
Ok. I'll give the Age practice a go.

I'm fiGuring your reply impliEs that The universe has no beginning, which means IT has always existed. Do you figure that your reply implies something else, to ME? If so, EXACTLY what?
My words do NOT 'imply' ANY thing.

What is MEANT by those words of mine IS; The Universe exists always, or eternally.

Which further MEANS that the Universe, Itself, NEVER began NOR will EVER end.

What you INFER from these words of MINE, or from ANY of MY words is up to you, correct?

My words above do NOT 'imply' ANY thing, they MEAN some 'thing', and they MEAN the Universe is eternal, and infinite, because, by definition, 'the Universe', Itself, could NOT exist ANY OTHER WAY, and thus could NOT be ANY 'thing' ELSE either.

Walker wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:10 pm (Edit: I forgot to add the LOL. Dang it! Maybe next time. Practice makes perfect.)
Walker

Post by Walker »

But, did the universe begin?
socrat44

Post by socrat44 »

the source of quantum of light (h) is the cold cosmic vacuum

Post by Age »

Walker wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:17 am But, did the universe begin?
NO.
Will Bouwman

Post by Will Bouwman »

Impenitent wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:12 pmif time stops when you reach the speed of light, how do you know for how long you are going that fast?
Well, if you had a map of the universe you could work out how far you had travelled. Divide that distance by the speed of light and that will give you the time you spent travelling. In the same way, if you drive to somewhere you know is a hundred miles away, and you've done a steady 50mph, you know you have been driving for two hours. If you don't know how far you have travelled, there is no way to know how long it took you.
Impenitent wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:12 pmif you are moving at the speed of light for an hour, what year would it be when you slowed back down?
A hour doesn't really mean anything at the speed of light; every particle is going as fast as is theoretically possible, and faster than is possible in practise, so everything is going in a straight line and there is no interaction between atoms; literally nothing happens. From the point of view of an hour on Earth, an hour at light speed is roughly the distance to Saturn. Anyone making that trip would age precisely one Earth hour less than the rest of us.
Impenitent wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:12 pmis it relative to that which is moving slower? is it a different time altogether? does a different time necessitate a different space? a different dimension at any rate...
For practical purposes, dimensions are just measuring sticks. Any point is space can be located relative to any other using three directions, usually left or right, back or forward, up or down: x, y and z in geometry. Time, t, is a 'dimension' for locating events. You might know where the party is happening, but if you don't know when, you'll miss it anyway.
Impenitent wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:12 pmand we have the ironic time traveler... in the dream of existing outside of time, he devises a way to reach the speed of light... but in the years it requires to reach the velocity- he dies of old age...

just some errant thoughts...

-Imp
You can safely reach light speed in under a year, at least in theory.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Will Bouwman wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:42 pm Here's a thing I've been working on. Might submit it to the magazine:
I haven't really read the rest of the thread, but I just wanted to say I appreciate this explanation. I've been wanting to wrap my head around relativity for a while, and I think you've helped. Thanks.
bobmax

Post by bobmax »

Will Bouwman wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:42 pm And if it were possible to travel at the speed of light, every particle of your being would be travelling at the speed of light, and since nothing can travel faster than light, there is no chance for any interaction between particles in your carriage, including those in your body and brain; nothing would happen in your bubble. The world would keep spinning, but for you time would stop.
Therefore for the photon our time has never passed and our universe has never existed.

The photon is still at that initial moment of the Big Bang.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

bobmax wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:22 pm
Will Bouwman wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:42 pm And if it were possible to travel at the speed of light, every particle of your being would be travelling at the speed of light, and since nothing can travel faster than light, there is no chance for any interaction between particles in your carriage, including those in your body and brain; nothing would happen in your bubble. The world would keep spinning, but for you time would stop.
Therefore for the photon our time has never passed and our universe has never existed.

The photon is still at that initial moment of the Big Bang.
Or is it rather experiencing all moments simultaneously?