Currant Buns and Pop Guns - The Big Bang

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

uwot

Re: Currant Buns and Pop Guns - The Big Bang

Post by uwot »

Skepdick wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:52 am
uwot wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:50 am Well then you don't have to appeal to perspective or parallax to explain why they have changed if they weren't the same thing in the first place.
They are always the same thing. For a given time.
They are always different things. At different times.
Talk to Age.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

uwot wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:54 am Talk to Age.
Age is incapable of communication, only monologue.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Skepdick wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:55 am
You'll get along fine.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

uwot wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:55 am You'll get along fine.
I can only enjoy his company while you are keeping him busy.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Skepdick wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:24 am
uwot wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:51 am So not only can you identify a location, you can describe what happens there.
Nothing happens at locations if your coordinate system encodes time coordinates because nothing happens at a point in time.
A binary thing happens AT a point in time, otherwise we could not consider such a thing as happening at ALL in a point in time, since time without such an event simply does not exist.

Post by Age »

Skepdick wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:55 am
But 'you' two are 'progressing', through communication, quite finely, correct?

Also, and by the way, I just say 'things' while WAITING, PATIENTLY, for those who are Truly READY, and who Truly WANT, to learn, and uncover, MORE.

What you call "communication" here was just 'you' two squabbling over essentially NOTHING new, NOR exciting.

All you were really just trying to get across here "skepdick" is that at ANY 'point' there is NO 'change'. But, "uwot" was NOT ABLE to just UNDERSTAND this most OBVIOUS and SIMPLE IRREFUTABLE Fact. So, 'you' two ended up just 'quarreling', and NOT 'communicating' AT ALL, REALLY.
uwot

Post by uwot »

attofishpi wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:48 amA binary thing happens AT a point in time, otherwise we could not consider such a thing as happening at ALL in a point in time, since time without such an event simply does not exist.
Not sure what you mean by a 'binary thing' atto. Skepdick made the point that things do not happen at one spacetime location with fixed values of x, y, z and t. In general conversation though, location only refers to x, y and z, t is the dimension of change. So: At the pub (x, y and z) having a pint (t). As I think you say, if nothing were to change, there would be no way to measure time. Time would not exist
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

uwot wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:58 am
attofishpi wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:48 amA binary thing happens AT a point in time, otherwise we could not consider such a thing as happening at ALL in a point in time, since time without such an event simply does not exist.
Not sure what you mean by a 'binary thing' atto. Skepdick made the point that things do not happen at one spacetime location with fixed values of x, y, z and t. In general conversation though, location only refers to x, y and z, t is the dimension of change. So: At the pub (x, y and z) having a pint (t). As I think you say, if nothing were to change, there would be no way to measure time. Time would not exist
Ya, useful analogies aside, I actually thought to myself on re-reading what i post did that even with my personal thang of events need to happen for time to exist...at the binary scale of, an event or not in the x,y,z space - that it doesn't actually mean time would exist, UNLESS---> an event occurred at that coordinate.

I do wrap my head around things re time that, at THE most finite scale or reality (below possibly particles) - at that x,y,z point, there is either an event or not - binary. But even with that crap, did comprehend later that unless at the x,y,z spacial point, an event occurred, then there is still no time.

Or perhaps I need to go back to the pub and rethink with things that matter.

Post by Age »

uwot wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:58 am
What do you say 'time' is, EXACTLY, "uwot"?
uwot

Post by uwot »

Age wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:43 amWhat do you say 'time' is, EXACTLY, "uwot"?
Take your pick:
1. Wasted on you.
2. BLINDINGLY obVious for those who are Truly READY, and who Truly WANT, to learn, and uncover, MORE.
3. Change.
uwot

Post by uwot »

attofishpi wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:08 amOr perhaps I need to go back to the pub and rethink with things that matter.
By far the most sensible contribution in some time. Cheers!

Post by Age »

uwot wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:58 am
Age wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:43 amWhat do you say 'time' is, EXACTLY, "uwot"?
Take your pick:
1. Wasted on you.
2. BLINDINGLY obVious for those who are Truly READY, and who Truly WANT, to learn, and uncover, MORE.
3. Change.
LOOK, you want to make the CLAIM that some 'thing', called 'time', can be measured. Now, UNTIL you INFORM us of what this 'thing' called 'time' is, EXACTLY, then all you are doing is SHOWING and PROVING you do NOT know what you are talking about.

UNDERSTOOD?
uwot

Post by uwot »

Age wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:42 amLOOK, you want to make the CLAIM that some 'thing', called 'time', can be measured.
No I don't. What I say is that events can be counted. A year, for example, is one orbit of the Earth around the Sun. A day is one rotation of the Earth on its axis. Days are divided mathematically into fractions, specifically 1/24 for hours, which then are divided into 1/60 twice for minutes and seconds. Those mathematical divisions are then re-equated with countable events, which depending on the accuracy you require can be anything from sand flowing through an hourglass to the oscillations of atoms. Time is things happening and things happening can be measured.
Age wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:42 amNow, UNTIL you INFORM us of what this 'thing' called 'time' is, EXACTLY, then all you are doing is SHOWING and PROVING you do NOT know what you are talking about.

UNDERSTOOD?
Congratulations on your complete lack of irony.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Dare i say it, that i believe there becomes a measurement of time that only Santa Claus can make, but AGE please explain what time actually is..?

Post by Age »

uwot wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:20 pm
Age wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:42 amLOOK, you want to make the CLAIM that some 'thing', called 'time', can be measured.
No I don't.
You DID WRITE: "... if nothing were to change, there would be no way to measure time. Time would not exist"
uwot wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:20 pm What I say is that events can be counted. A year, for example, is one orbit of the Earth around the Sun. A day is one rotation of the Earth on its axis. Days are divided mathematically into fractions, specifically 1/24 for hours, which then are divided into 1/60 twice for minutes and seconds. Those mathematical divisions are then re-equated with countable events, which depending on the accuracy you require can be anything from sand flowing through an hourglass to the oscillations of atoms. Time is things happening and things happening can be measured.
Age wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:42 amNow, UNTIL you INFORM us of what this 'thing' called 'time' is, EXACTLY, then all you are doing is SHOWING and PROVING you do NOT know what you are talking about.

UNDERSTOOD?
Congratulations on your complete lack of irony.
Congratulation on your complete lack of UNDERSTANDING here.