Currant Buns and Pop Guns - The Big Bang

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: Currant Buns and Pop Guns - The Big Bang

Post by Age »

uwot wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:08 pm
Dubious wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:49 pmIf there are multiple theories predicting the same result as typically occurs in its various formulations being a possible explanation of what is observed, there remains only one considered more accurate...or possibly that all failed in their own way without being condemned as complete failures.
The thing is there are many instances where there is no consensus. Scientists, like the rest of us, sometimes believe things for idiosyncratic reasons - aesthetic reasons; they might simply find one idea more beautiful than another for reasons no more or less profound than why some people like mustard on their sausage, and others ketchup. Hence hypotheses non fingo and shut up and calculate.
Pity they do NOT just 'shut up and calculate'. If they did, then they would FIIND OUT and SEE what thee IRREFUTABLE Facts ARE, EXACTLY, instead of continually MAKING UP these ABSURD and RIDICULOUS Wrong ASSUMPTIONS and CLAIMS, and just GUESSING what COULD BE true and real.
Dubious wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:49 pmThe point is devising a theory that’s explanative and not merely predictive as Feynman himself pointed out.
Well I would argue that's the point of philosophy. But that goes back to where to draw the line between philosophy and science.
Dubious wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:49 pmBeing simply predictive doesn't even require a theory but a mechanical model which explains nothing of its causes.
Mechanical, or better yet mathematical, but yeah, science works perfectly well without theories that explain causes.
Dubious wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:49 pmTo the extent a theory prevails in explaining all phenomena under its domain it becomes less theoretical but never to the point of becoming absolute which evolution is not far from being.
That evolution is called a theory is an accident of history. Or laziness. Or religious paranoia. There is absofuckinglutely no reasonable doubt that evolution occurs. Charles Darwin's theory was that the cause is natural selection, rather than intelligent design or divine intervention.
There is ALSO so-called 'absofuckinglutely no reasonable doubt that the Universe is infinite and eternal AS WELL.

The THEORY that the Universe BEGAN and IS EXPANDING was BASED UPON the ASSUMPTION or BELIEF that there WAS 'a beginning'.
Dubious wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:49 pmWhat in our understanding of evolution on so many fronts underdetermines it?
Natural selection is a compellingly parsimonious theory, in my opinion, but who knows? Maybe Shiva is twiddling the knobs.
Dubious wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:49 pm...serendipity, a few times along the way, caused us to be here now always wondering whether there’s a god out there!
Yep, can't argue with that.
Dubious wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:49 pmI don’t think he (Jesus) was a fictional character. Remove the biblical endorsements and he could easily have been like so many other wandering preachers rampant at the time. He was human and died on the cross as a human...
Well, the key thing in the story is not that Jesus died on a cross, there was no shortage of crucifixions, it is that he came back from the dead.
It is because SOME people, and ALWAYS "physicists", were NOT ABLE TO SEE ANY thing past what is 'visible physical matter' the reason WHY NONE of these people were ABLE TO SEE that the word "he" here did NOT refer to the 'visibly seen human body' AT ALL. Thus, just ANOTHER example of MISINTERPRETATION, ONCE AGAIN.
uwot wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:08 pm I keep referring to the Myth of Er, at the end of Plato's Republic. In that myth, Er is slain in battle. His body is returned to be cremated. On the funeral pyre, he comes back to life to tell us mortals about the afterlife; about the gates to heaven and hell, where souls are judged and go up to eternal loveliness, or are condemned to fiery torture. Add to that the story that Plato's mother Perictione, according to legend, was a virgin, and that the ensuing thousand years of western academia were devoted to assimilating Plato and christianity. Plato's Republic is a handbook for how to manage populations; critical to which is telling lies to everyone, but particularly the masses. I don't think it is a coincidence that that is precisely what appears to have happened.
The reason WHY there APPEARS to be LIES here is just because people have MISINTERPRETED the REAL and True MEANINGS and REFERENCES.
Dubious wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:49 pm...until Paul resurrected him and screwed up the next 2000 years.
Who knows? But if you look at the rest of the planet and history, there really isn't anything remarkable about christianity.
There REALLY is ALSO NOT ANY thing remarkable about "science" EITHER.
uwot wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:08 pm My favourite line on religion is still David Hume's. Religion depends on at least one miracle - that anyone believes it.
Theories, literally, depend solely on what are, essentially, just ASSUMPTIONS or GUESSES, about what COULD BE true, and absolutely NOTHING about what is ACTUALLY True AT ALL.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

uwot wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:57 pm
Anyway; have you looked at any of these?
https://youtu.be/nXW6TD2TpLU
https://youtu.be/1ylMYL_yKwQ
https://youtu.be/nOw_TT79reI
Ostensibly, they're what this thread is about.
I listened to the three links provided a few times and will do so again. I like the way you explained and presented it. Must admit, the graphics were impressive. For such short vignettes you explained a lot. Not all of it was new but it's good to be reminded especially being in an age when it's easy to forget!

I just ordered another self-torture book on Quantum Theory. If I wanted to blow my brains out without a revolver, this would probably do it!
uwot

Post by uwot »

Dubious wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:04 pm
uwot wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:57 pmAnyway; have you looked at any of these?
https://youtu.be/nXW6TD2TpLU
https://youtu.be/1ylMYL_yKwQ
https://youtu.be/nOw_TT79reI
Ostensibly, they're what this thread is about.
I listened to the three links provided a few times and will do so again. I like the way you explained and presented it. Must admit, the graphics were impressive. For such short vignettes you explained a lot. Not all of it was new but it's good to be reminded especially being in an age when it's easy to forget!
Very kind of you to say so. Yeah, the idea is not to say anything new, but rather to explain one of our best theories mechanically, rather than mathematically, so I'm glad it looked familiar.
Dubious wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:04 pmI just ordered another self-torture book on Quantum Theory. If I wanted to blow my brains out without a revolver, this would probably do it!
Good luck with it. Assuming you survive, let us know if it's any good.