What Is Spacetime Really Made Of?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Re: What Is Spacetime Really Made Of?

Post by Skepdick »

Cerveny wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:34 am Real physical space (vacuum) is a 4-D growing crystal of (meta) elementary (dual) particles… Real particles are more or less stable specific defects in its structure and antiparticles are corresponding complementary defects…
So many reductionist/deconstructive theories!!!

What the hell is a "defect" in a real structure?

Seems a litle arrogant to assert that humans can rule on reality's "defectiveness".
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

RCSaunders wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:41 pm
socrat44 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:59 am What Is Spacetime Really Made Of?
It's not, "made of," anything. It is a fictional metaphorical way of, "picturing," certain physical phenomena which have no actual observable attributes (i.e. cannot be seen, heard, felt, smelled, or tasted) but are known indirectly by the behavior of that which can be observed and are described mathematically.
Bollocks.

Kick a football into the air, what you observe as it returns to the ground is the curvature of spacetime.

The fundamental nature that causes the curvature is SOME THING.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:28 pm
It's not, "made of," anything. It is a fictional metaphorical way of, "picturing," certain physical phenomena which have no actual observable attributes (i.e. cannot be seen, heard, felt, smelled, or tasted) but are known indirectly by the behavior of that which can be observed and are described mathematically.
Bollocks.

Kick a football into the air, what you observe as it returns to the ground is the curvature of spacetime.

By, "something," I mean an actual entity or substance, i.e. some kind of, "stuff." There is no such, "stuff," as space-time. There is only the behavior of actual entities and substances. The behavior of projectiles in a gravitational, "field," (another fictional mathematical way of picturing the behavior of actual things) can only be described if you actually have a, "football," a real thing.

The phenomena being described by these fictions is real and exists (as a concept), but attributing actual physical existence to them is reification.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

RCSaunders wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:48 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:28 pm
Bollocks.

By, "something," I mean an actual entity or substance, i.e. some kind of, "stuff." There is no such, "stuff," as space-time. There is only the behavior of actual entities and substances. The behavior of projectiles in a gravitational, "field,"
And, as I stated - the fundamental nature that causes curvature of spacetime is a THING.

RCSaunders wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:48 pm(another fictional mathematical way of picturing the behavior of actual things) can only be described if you actually have a, "football," a real thing.

The phenomena being described by these fictions is real and exists (as a concept), but attributing actual physical existence to them is reification.
To comprehend reality is to look at it in abstraction from what we immediately perceive - reification is required to step beyond what you insist on your comprehension of reality - via those senses that you perceive reality through.
seeds

Post by seeds »

Well, if it is possible that the Berkeleyan vision of reality is true and the universe is the mind of a higher consciousness, then that would mean that "spacetime" is made of "mind stuff."

In other words, if you look into the inner-dimension of your own mind and view the substances and conditions that comprise and bind the totality of your mind together into a closed and autonomous (singular) bubble of reality,...

...you will, in essence, be viewing a (less ordered) parallel version of the same sort of "spacetime" reality you see when looking outward into the closed and autonomous bubble of the universe.

Again, if the Berkeleyan (and seeds) vision of reality is true, then the contents of the universe and the contents of our minds are made of the same fundamental stuff (again, with one simply being "less ordered" than the other)...

ImageImage

"As Above, So Below"

(I suggest that the above represents what it truly means to have been created in "God's image")

Now, of course, none of the above actually solves the mystery inherent in socrat44's initial inquiry, for it merely shifts the question from what is "spacetime" made of? - to what is "mind stuff" made of?
_______

Post by Age »

seeds wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:03 pm
Well, if it is possible that the Berkeleyan vision of reality is true and the universe is the mind of a higher consciousness, then that would mean that "spacetime" is made of "mind stuff."

In other words, if you look into the inner-dimension of your own mind and view the substances and conditions that comprise and bind the totality of your mind together into a closed and autonomous (singular) bubble of reality,...

...you will, in essence, be viewing a (less ordered) parallel version of the same sort of "spacetime" reality you see when looking outward into the closed and autonomous bubble of the universe.

Again, if the Berkeleyan (and seeds) vision of reality is true, then the contents of the universe and the contents of our minds are made of the same fundamental stuff (again, with one simply being "less ordered" than the other)...
But this 'vision' of 'reality' is NOT true. So, the rest is moot.
seeds wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:03 pmImageImage

"As Above, So Below"

(I suggest that the above represents what it truly means to have been created in "God's image")

Now, of course, none of the above actually solves the mystery inherent in socrat44's initial inquiry, for it merely shifts the question from what is "spacetime" made of? - to what is "mind stuff" made of?
_______
Last edited by Age on Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Age »

How is the word 'spacetime' being defined here?

Work that out FULLY, and then the answer just falls into place.
Cerveny

Post by Cerveny »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:53 am
Cerveny wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:34 am Real physical space (vacuum) is a 4-D growing crystal of (meta) elementary (dual) particles… Real particles are more or less stable specific defects in its structure and antiparticles are corresponding complementary defects…
So many reductionist/deconstructive theories!!!

What the hell is a "defect" in a real structure?

Seems a litle arrogant to assert that humans can rule on reality's "defectiveness".
After all, I'm afraid that's the only reasonable explanation for reality. I can't understand otherwise why there is only a limited spectrum of stable particles, why spin and electric charge can only have a limited value, why particles can only apear in complementary pairs. What hinders other possibilities!!? So I strongly believe that all the properties of reality are derived from the (lattice) structure of its regular, discrete substrate, from the crystal of physical space. Please refer to the terms "crystal defects", "growth of screw dislocations" ~ spin…
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Cerveny wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:08 am After all, I'm afraid that's the only reasonable explanation for reality. I can't understand otherwise why there is only a limited spectrum of stable particles, why spin and electric charge can only have a limited value, why particles can only apear in complementary pairs. What hinders other possibilities!!? So I strongly believe that all the properties of reality are derived from the (lattice) structure of its regular, discrete substrate, from the crystal of physical space. Please refer to the terms "crystal defects", "growth of screw dislocations" ~ spin…
Your problem is not the physics. Your problem is your normatives (as usual).

You have some pre-conceived notions of "reasonableness", "explanation" and "understanding".
You actually believe reality is understandable to us, apes.

The crux of your problem is that you missed the word "model" in the "standard model of physics". Maybe you have a mathematical intuition for what a model is. Maybe you understand that given finite observations - infinite models are possible. Maybe you don't.

Maybe lattices aren't the correct mathematical structure in which to interpret the results and you need a bigger, higher-order structure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model-dependent_realism
socrat44

Post by socrat44 »

Age wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:30 am

an absolute Minkowski 4D "spacetime''
Attachments
Lightcones - A-Physicists-Favorite-Tool.jpg
Lightcones - A-Physicists-Favorite-Tool.jpg (34.86 KiB) Viewed 1610 times

Post by Age »

socrat44 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:27 pm

So, from what you are saying and showing here 'spacetime' is just an idea or concept, and therefore what 'spacetime' is Really made of is just 'human thought' only.

If, however, any one wants to KNOW what thee Universe, Itself, and/or 'space' and 'time' as well, are REALLY made up of, then that would, literally, be another question.
socrat44

Post by socrat44 »

Age wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:29 am

So, from what you are saying and showing here 'spacetime' is just an idea or concept, and therefore what 'spacetime' is Really made of is just 'human thought' only.

If, however, any one wants to KNOW what thee Universe, Itself, and/or 'space' and 'time' as well, are REALLY made up of, then that would, literally, be another question.
“The views of space and time which I wish to lay before you have sprung
from the soil of experimental physics, and therein lies their strength.
They are radical. Henceforth, (gravity) space (of planets) by itself,
and (gravity) time (of planets) by itself, are doomed to fade away
into mere shadows, and only a kind of union of the two
/ in reality, the union of the two can be seen only as the cosmic vacuum /
will preserve an independent reality.”
/ Hermann Minkowski /
Attachments
Minkowski.jpg
Minkowski.jpg (25.58 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
Cerveny

Post by Cerveny »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:11 am
Cerveny wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:08 am After all, I'm afraid that's the only reasonable explanation for reality. I can't understand otherwise why there is only a limited spectrum of stable particles, why spin and electric charge can only have a limited value, why particles can only apear in complementary pairs. What hinders other possibilities!!? So I strongly believe that all the properties of reality are derived from the (lattice) structure of its regular, discrete substrate, from the crystal of physical space. Please refer to the terms "crystal defects", "growth of screw dislocations" ~ spin…
Your problem is not the physics. Your problem is your normatives (as usual).

You have some pre-conceived notions of "reasonableness", "explanation" and "understanding".
You actually believe reality is understandable to us, apes.

The crux of your problem is that you missed the word "model" in the "standard model of physics". Maybe you have a mathematical intuition for what a model is. Maybe you understand that given finite observations - infinite models are possible. Maybe you don't.
Maybe lattices aren't the correct mathematical structure in which to interpret the results and you need a bigger, higher-order structure.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model-dependent_realism
I am to say that I have no problem. I just wonder if any brave physicists and logicians will at least try to indicate what could prevent the charge and spin values ​​from taking on different values ​​and what mechanism ensures that particles are formed only in complementary pairs. Please do not write the word "law" in any answer.

Post by Age »

socrat44 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:50 am
Age wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:29 am

“The views of space and time which I wish to lay before you have sprung
from the soil of experimental physics, and therein lies their strength.
They are radical. Henceforth, (gravity) space (of planets) by itself,
and (gravity) time (of planets) by itself, are doomed to fade away
into mere shadows, and only a kind of union of the two
/ in reality, the union of the two can be seen only as the cosmic vacuum /
will preserve an independent reality.”
/ Hermann Minkowski /
So, again, what you are just saying is that this so-called 'spacetime' exists ONLY in 'human thought' ALONE.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Cerveny wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:30 pm I am to say that I have no problem. I just wonder if any brave physicists and logicians will at least try to indicate what could prevent the charge and spin values ​​from taking on different values ​​and what mechanism ensures that particles are formed only in complementary pairs. Please do not write the word "law" in any answer.
Potato. Potatoh.

Any mechanism made explicit which imposes the limits you imply exist qualifies as a "law".

Mechanical systems have limits.