The Affects of Climate Change

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sculptor

Re: The affects of Climate Change

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:27 am Projections of increase in average temperatures in the future must effect the Earth's crust - to expand, hence increased tectonic activity thus more earthquake and volcano activity.
No.
That is wrong
If air temperature had anything to do with it then there would be no volcanos in Antartica, or Iceland.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

So says the be all and end all of all human knowledge. I haven't heard of any erupting volcanoes in the Antarctic lately, and the Antarctic wasn't always an icy continent. So much for the 'higher education'. What in? Sociology? Political science? Media studies? :lol:
RCSaunders

Re: The effects of Climate Change

Post by RCSaunders »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:32 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:28 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:37 pm You really aren't educated or intelligent enough to hold the political stance that you do.
What, "political stance," would that be? There is no political solution to any supposed problem. It's people who believe governments can actually solve problems that are the cause of most so-called social problems. I am totally a-political.

I do not mind criticism of my views but those who consistently attribute views to me which I do not have and then criticize them just bewilders me.
Not 'believing in govts.' (whatever that means) is a political stance in itself. Even in the caves humans would have some kind of system.
Well, then, if cave men had governments, it must be the right thing to do. Duh!

Of course I believe in governments. They're all over the place, like diseases and natural disasters, ruining people's lives. I just don't think I am in this world to rid it of any problems except my own. If most people did that, instead of sticking their noses in everyone else's business to solve "society's problems, most of the so-called social-political problems of the world would vanish. It's the world-savers and social engineers who are ruining it.

There are other social systems other than coercive governments. Cooperation by mutual consent is one.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:46 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:32 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:28 pm
What, "political stance," would that be? There is no political solution to any supposed problem. It's people who believe governments can actually solve problems that are the cause of most so-called social problems. I am totally a-political.

I do not mind criticism of my views but those who consistently attribute views to me which I do not have and then criticize them just bewilders me.
Not 'believing in govts.' (whatever that means) is a political stance in itself. Even in the caves humans would have some kind of system.
Well, then, if cave men had governments, it must be the right thing to do. Duh!

Of course I believe in governments. They're all over the place, like diseases and natural disasters, ruining people's lives. I just don't think I am in this world to rid it of any problems except my own. If most people did that, instead of sticking their noses in everyone else's business to solve "society's problems, most of the so-called social-political problems of the world would vanish. It's the world-savers and social engineers who are ruining it.

There are other social systems other than coercive governments. Cooperation by mutual consent is one.
Let me guess; you just hate paying taxes because you are a fucking old scrooge. It's all about money to you. Yuk. Nothing more repulsive than a man who obsesses over every penny.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:15 pm
attofishpi wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:27 am Projections of increase in average temperatures in the future must effect the Earth's crust - to expand, hence increased tectonic activity thus more earthquake and volcano activity.

Also, does an increase in the level of CO2 in the atmosphere prevent water droplets to form, thus more drought?

Then there is effects on thermohaline circulation on deep water masses in the North Atlantic that apparently (from a doco or article I read years ago) that will slow, and the North Atlantic will become much cooler, and start conditions to flip us into an ice age.

I really haven't the time to do more research into all that, but perhaps others have some perspectives to offer.
Hmm. Well we certainly get far more earthquakes here than there ever used to be. In fact, there was one about half an hour ago. Quite big too. It rumbled for a while. You are lucky in Oz that you miss that main fault line. Earthquakes were very unusual when I was a child. Heard a lot about 'the big one' that was supposed to be coming but other than that, nothing really. Now we have them regularly--many per year where I live-- and thats only counting the bigger ones.
I think there has been more by way of tremors, quakes in recent years. It would be interesting to see stats if there are any over the years related to atmospheric temp linked to tectonics. Plate tectonics is millennial whereas we have barely taken stats beyond 100yrs.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:40 pm
No.
That is wrong
If air temperature had anything to do with it then there would be no volcanos in Antartica, or Iceland.
That is a totally flawed position.

The boundaries of the tectonic plates are not governed by a coating of ice. Current plate tectonics are millions of years old if not billions.

I am stating that at these boundaries of the plates, an increase in water/air temperature is going to affect the crust to expand and cause more by way of earthquakes/volcano activity. Many mountainous regions are from the causality of plate tectonics where two or more plates meet, such as in NZ, if the average temperature in the atmosphere and within bodies of water are increasing, it then follows that at the tectonic boundaries there is going to be more activity.
Last edited by attofishpi on Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:48 pm Let me guess; you just hate paying taxes because you are a fucking old scrooge. It's all about money to you. Yuk. Nothing more repulsive than a man who obsesses over every penny.
I have never complained about the taxes I pay. Why do you keep making stuff up?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:09 am
No.
That is wrong

The boundaries of the tectonic plates are not governed by a coating of ice. Current plate tectonics are millions of years old if not billions.
Wrong again. Ice, water and the atmosphere are superficial. The plates are governed by massive gravitic and thermal energies from deep wiitin the crust.

I am stating that at these boundaries of the plates, an increase in water/air temperature is going to affect the crust to expand and cause more by way of earthquakes/volcano activity. Many mountainous regions are from the causality of plate tectonics where two or more plates meet, such as in NZ, if the average temperature in the atmosphere and within bodies of water are increasing, it then follows that at the tectonic boundaries there is going to be more activity.
The fault lines bear no relationship to atmopheric temperature and conform exactly to the edges of the plates and the energy that comes from beneath the earth's surface.
Volcanic activity can affect the surface temperature, but not the other way round. We are talking about temperatures of thousands of degrees. The change in the climiate's temperature is less than 1 degreee.
You are just making this up from a position of extreme ignorance and lack of basic reasoning ability.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:58 am I think there has been more by way of tremors, quakes in recent years. It would be interesting to see stats if there are any over the years related to atmospheric temp linked to tectonics. Plate tectonics is millennial whereas we have barely taken stats beyond 100yrs.
:roll: hahah.
So because you are more aware of the news in your old age you think that 1 degree of climate change is causing all the volcanoes to erupt?

If only the seismologists would just listen to your gut feeling!!

:lol:
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Interesting topic though.
In my research there is a definite correlation to apparent increase in volcanic activity.
There is an almost exact correlation between the popluation increase since 1400ce and the number of reported volcanic eruptions.
But, doggie, that does not mean that the weight of people is causing the eruptions. What it means is that more people report more eruptions, and fewer go unreported.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:15 pm

No.
That is wrong

The boundaries of the tectonic plates are NOT governed by a coating of ice. Current plate tectonics are millions of years old if not billions.
Wrong again. Ice, water and the atmosphere are superficial. The plates are governed by massive gravitic and thermal energies from deep wiitin the crust.
Duh, I think you need to get your reading comprehension skills sorted - note the NOT governed by a coating of ice.

attofishpi wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:09 amI am stating that at these boundaries of the plates, an increase in water/air temperature is going to affect the crust to expand and cause more by way of earthquakes/volcano activity. Many mountainous regions are from the causality of plate tectonics where two or more plates meet, such as in NZ, if the average temperature in the atmosphere and within bodies of water are increasing, it then follows that at the tectonic boundaries there is going to be more activity.
The fault lines bear no relationship to atmopheric temperature and conform exactly to the edges of the plates and the energy that comes from beneath the earth's surface.
Take a tectonic plate thousands of miles in diameter, increase the temperature by a degree or two (via warming biosphere) - it is reasonable to expect that the plate will EXPAND - thus causing more activity to occur at the plate boundary - why is it so hard for you to grasp what I am stating?

Sculptor wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:15 pmvolcanic activity can affect the surface temperature, but not the other way round. We are talking about temperatures of thousands of degrees. The change in the climiate's temperature is less than 1 degreee.
You are just making this up from a position of extreme ignorance and lack of basic reasoning ability.
Read my previous statement and try to comprehend.
Last edited by attofishpi on Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:18 pm
attofishpi wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:58 am I think there has been more by way of tremors, quakes in recent years. It would be interesting to see stats if there are any over the years related to atmospheric temp linked to tectonics. Plate tectonics is millennial whereas we have barely taken stats beyond 100yrs.
So because you are more aware of the news in your old age you think that 1 degree of climate change is causing all the volcanoes to erupt?

What are you, the dumb kid in a primary school playground? Clearly you are failing to grasp what I am ACTUALLY stating.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:02 pm

The boundaries of the tectonic plates are NOT governed by a coating of ice. Current plate tectonics are millions of years old if not billions.
Duh, I think you need to get your reading comprehension skills sorted - note the NOT governed by a coating of ice.

attofishpi wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:09 amI am stating that at these boundaries of the plates, an increase in water/air temperature is going to affect the crust to expand and cause more by way of earthquakes/volcano activity. Many mountainous regions are from the causality of plate tectonics where two or more plates meet, such as in NZ, if the average temperature in the atmosphere and within bodies of water are increasing, it then follows that at the tectonic boundaries there is going to be more activity.
Take a tectonic plate thousands of miles in diameter, increase the temperature by a degree or two (via warming biosphere) - it is reasonable to expect that the plate will EXPAND - thus causing more activity to occur at the plate boundary - why is it so hard for you to grasp what I am stating?

Sculptor wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:15 pmvolcanic activity can affect the surface temperature, but not the other way round. We are talking about temperatures of thousands of degrees. The change in the climiate's temperature is less than 1 degreee.
You statements are worthless.
You are not in a position to make this claim.
Please cite your claim with science.
You are jsut making a damn fool of yourself as per usual.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:18 pm

What are you, the dumb kid in a primary school playground? Clearly you are failing to grasp what I am ACTUALLY stating.
Stop squirming and show me the money.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:16 am

You statements are worthless.
Of course they are to someone lacking intelligence to comprehend them.

Sculptor wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:16 amYou are not in a position to make this claim.
Top of my class at geology gives me at least a layman's position, indeed my lecturer was disappointed I wasn't interested in pursuing the subject further.

Sculptor wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:16 amPlease cite your claim with science.
Er..let me ask you a few questions. Do you think that rock expands when heated? Is the Earth's crust made of rock? Is that rock predominantly silicates?

Sculptor wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:16 amYou are jsut making a damn fool of yourself as per usual.
No, as usual, you fail to grasp what an idiot you have rendered yourself.