Calculations Suggest It'll Be Impossible to Control a Super-Intelligent AI

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Re: Calculations Suggest It'll Be Impossible to Control a Super-Intelligent AI

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:21 am
Skepdick wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:04 am
Sculptor wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:02 am

WHy not just take a chill pill and go back ond try to understand what was happening in the thread and review just how fucking stupid you look?
I don't know. Why don't you?
QED
Indeed. Thanks for making my case.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:30 am
Skepdick wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:04 am
I don't know. Why don't you?
QED
SKEPTICS CASE:
image_2021-12-11_105026.png
image_2021-12-11_105026.png (76.64 KiB) Viewed 1424 times
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:50 am

QED
SKEPTICS CASE:

The only CASE worth considering from the Holy Grail of A.I. Cyberpunk - NEUROMANCER by William Gibson, is the protagonist, Case - this is the last page I just scanned from the Graphic Novel version (I bought in the 90's - now worth US$144 apparently!) - such is the lengths atto will go to in an attempt to make this forum interesting - ya I searched images on the web - best detailed scan I found was in Jap i think..so had to scan my copy.

..some scumbag back in the early 90's never returned my 1st edition of the actual novel.

Wintermute is the A.I. - this is how the novel ends

..anuva spruik and Y not - my professional editor of my own cyberpunk novel - Alpha Two - an old lady (crazy cat lady from a rural town up north!!) said to me, after I gave her my new copy of Neuromancer to read to comprehend the genre - that my characters and plot were far more developed than Gibsons! hahah.. To be honest, Neuromancer is a rather difficult read - Gibson wrote borderline poetic - and most readers find they have to re-read a page to attempt to comprehend wtf is actually going on - personally - i think that's why a film has never been made - nobody ultimately knows what the fuck is going on half the time!!
"Johnny Mnemonic" with Keanu Reeves is one that did get made (of Gibsons)

https://www.androcies.com/alphatwo.php
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:47 am
Um.
Very interesting.
Why relevant?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

THis whole thread is based on the wrong idea of what an AI is.
Right now we have the technology to produce quadcopter killer bots that can autonomously eliminate specific classes of target.
As recently as March last year such bot were being used to attack and kill retreating soldiers in Libya.

The next generation of autonomous submarine bots are going to make Trident (UK's highly praised nuclear deterent) completely redundant.
Please imagine 5000 cheaply made autonomous minisubs on the seafloor in the North Sea ready to awaken and destroy a UK nuckear submarine. THey would only have to be equipped with minimla propulsion and explosives to very cheaply take out all underwater craft within a 2 mile radius.
For less than £10million you can take out a £20billion defence system.

The real problems are n ot about problems controliing the AI, it will be an always be who is going to control the AI.

If terrorists can get hold of explosives then it would be easy enough to design and make programmed drones to deploy them.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:59 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:47 am
Um.
Very interesting.
Are you going to read it?

Sculptor wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:59 pmWhy relevant?
I was about to paste an excerpt from Chapter 35 Artificial Soul - but is very close to the end of the book, and really is a bit of spoiler. Sure it's sci-fi, but it is relevant to this thread, as per what the A.I. Androcies has to say to the main protagonist Helix. (relevant since a human aka me, wrote it)
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:11 pm THis whole thread is based on the wrong idea of what an AI is.
Right now we have the technology to produce quadcopter killer bots that can autonomously eliminate specific classes of target.
As recently as March last year such bot were being used to attack and kill retreating soldiers in Libya.

The next generation of autonomous submarine bots are going to make Trident (UK's highly praised nuclear deterent) completely redundant.
Please imagine 5000 cheaply made autonomous minisubs on the seafloor in the North Sea ready to awaken and destroy a UK nuckear submarine. THey would only have to be equipped with minimla propulsion and explosives to very cheaply take out all underwater craft within a 2 mile radius.
For less than £10million you can take out a £20billion defence system.

The real problems are n ot about problems controliing the AI, it will be an always be who is going to control the AI.
Sure, that is a real problem, but you are still failing to see that A.I. can and very likely will get beyond anyone's control.

Boston Dynamic - as far as robotics are a concern. I say concern, because once this tech is permitted as crowd control etc in our own 'democratic' 'free' society - we don't stand a chance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF4DML7FIWk
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:50 am

QED
SKEPTICS CASE:

Quit shitting in the case you senile old fart.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:11 pm THis whole thread is based on the wrong idea of what an AI is.
IF this universe is a simulation THEN you are an AI. I am an AI. We are all AI.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Skepdick wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:51 am
IF this universe is a simulation THEN you are an AI. I am an AI. We are all AI.
Duh.
socrat44

Post by socrat44 »

Skepdick wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:51 am IF this universe is a simulation THEN you are an AI. I am an AI. We are all AI.
if we look at past wars (which are a natural part of our civilization) when millions died
for different ideas (ours or those of others), then it is very possible that we are all pawns
or artificial beings, participating in some kind of the cosmic game
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

socrat44 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:49 am
Skepdick wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:51 am IF this universe is a simulation THEN you are an AI. I am an AI. We are all AI.
if we look at past wars (which are a natural part of our civilization) when millions died
for different ideas (ours or those of others), then it is very possible that we are all pawns
Human pawns yes, but if you’re AI then how would you know that you’re an AI?
socrat44

Post by socrat44 »

commonsense wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:45 pm
socrat44 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:49 am
Human pawns yes, but if you’re AI then how would you know that you’re an AI?
You are right, we don't know ''who are we?''
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

socrat44 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:49 am if we look at past wars (which are a natural part of our civilization) when millions died
If we could simulate realities isn't that precisely what we'd use the simulation for?

Run Monte Carlo simulations of possible strategies before committing...
wtf

Post by wtf »

Skepdick wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:46 pm If we could simulate realities isn't that precisely what we'd use the simulation for?

Run Monte Carlo simulations of possible strategies before committing...
That's exactly the point on which simulation theory blows up. Sure, we could use supercomputers to simulate human society. We do the same for weather systems and economies, and even the origin of the universe. why not societies?

But when you write a computer simulation -- like, say, a video game such as Ms. Pacman from back in the day -- nobody actually believes that Ms. Pacman has a rich inner life; that she experiences pleasure from eating white dots and terror at being chased by monsters.

You can run a simulation, but where does the self-awareness of the sims come from? We have no idea how to implement self-awareness. Likewise, if my reality is a convincing simulation -- for example an illusion created by a supremely clever daemon, as Descartes considered in 1641 -- it is still the case that there is an "I" that experiences the illusion. I am real, even if my experiences are not.

All theories that assume that someone can implement consciousness are just making things up. That's the point on which simulation theory fails. Nobody knows what consciousness is, let alone how to produce it with an algorithm. That's why simulation theory explains nothing and means nothing. It's as intellectually satisfying as saying, "It was all a dream," to resolve some novel or tv show. Which is to say, not satisfying at all.
Last edited by wtf on Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.