Is scientific knowledge the best?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

RCSaunders

Re: Is scientific knowledge the best?

Post by RCSaunders »

Age wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:43 am
RCSaunders wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:40 pm
Sculptor wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:23 pm Sometimes I think I'm in a nuthouse.
I have the same impression.
And I have read quite a lot of you, here in this forum, say the same thing.

It is like you all BELIEVE it is the "others" who are insane.

Which, by the way, is quite humorous to observe and watch unfold.
The inmate speaks. Time for your meds now.
Last edited by RCSaunders on Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Age »

RCSaunders wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:17 am
Age wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:32 am Science also does NOT delve into facts and what is actually True either, but so what?
Then why mention it?
To show how 'that', and what you were talking about, were NOT an issue here.

Post by Age »

RCSaunders wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:22 am
RCSaunders wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:40 pm
I have the same impression.

The inmate speaks. Time for you meds now.
WHY do so many people in philosophy forums spend so much time looking at, judging, and talking about, "others", like above, instead of just questioning, clarifying, and/or backing up and supporting their claims?
Cerveny

Post by Cerveny »

Age wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:21 am
Cerveny wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:02 pm
Sculptor wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:44 am

When it comes to the fundemental structure of the universe there are no answers to those questions simply bacause there are no reasons.
Why is every body in the universe attracted to every other body in the universe, which leads to the phenomenon of gravity??
WHilst science is the only discipline of knowledge capable of attempting that questions, and it has been asked by science despite your comments that it only addresses "comfortable" questions, scientists are smart enough to know that there are no reasons for that.

Why don't you be brave and try to answer some of those questions here on the Forum? Or are you content in your own comfort to avoid them?

What you will need to understand about science is that it's job is to intricately DESCRIBE the universe. It really has not interest in questions as to WHY.
If you want to know why, ask a priest. You can have a rainbow of all sorts of contradictory answers from different priests, immans and gurus that will be gushing with responses
As far as the universal attraction of matter is concerned, it is perhaps the least interesting problem in physics for me. Matter deforms (relaxes?) the structure of physical space (aether) around it, which causes their mutual attraction - such as bubbles or fragments on the surface of water or as conductors carrying current in parallel (towards the future:) The question is how things are around antimatter…
Define what 'antimatter' refers to exactly, then, 'how things are around antimatter' is self-explanatory.
Antimatter is composed of antiparticles and I believe that they repel each other (they do not clump together like matter)… Antimatter (antiparticles) is then perhaps dissolved in a certain "natural" concentration in physical space…

Post by Age »

Cerveny wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:31 am
Cerveny wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:02 pm
As far as the universal attraction of matter is concerned, it is perhaps the least interesting problem in physics for me. Matter deforms (relaxes?) the structure of physical space (aether) around it, which causes their mutual attraction - such as bubbles or fragments on the surface of water or as conductors carrying current in parallel (towards the future:) The question is how things are around antimatter…
Define what 'antimatter' refers to exactly, then, 'how things are around antimatter' is self-explanatory.
Antimatter is composed of antiparticles and I believe that they repel each other (they do not clump together like matter)… Antimatter (antiparticles) is then perhaps dissolved in a certain "natural" concentration in physical space…
Can you see, feel, smell, taste, or hear 'antiparticles' or 'antimatter'?

Also, matter is just composed of (particles of) matter. So, to say that 'matter' is composed of matter particles or 'antimatter' is composed of antiparticles is completely unnecessary, or redundant.

Furthermore, what you 'believe' is not necessarily true, right, not correct anyway. Do you have any actual proof for your belief?

Now, what exactly is 'antimatter'?

When you explain this, then we might be able to see and understand how it might be possible how this 'thing' or 'antithing' could dissolve, in anyway.

By the way what is 'physical space', to you? And is there such a 'thing' as 'nonphysical space'? If yes, then could this type of space be referred to as 'antispace', or would that not work?
Cerveny

Post by Cerveny »

Age wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:24 am

Also, matter is just composed of (particles of) matter. So, to say that 'matter' is composed of matter particles or 'antimatter' is composed of antiparticles is completely unnecessary, or redundant.

Furthermore, what you 'believe' is not necessarily true, right, not correct anyway. Do you have any actual proof for your belief?

When you explain this, then we might be able to see and understand how it might be possible how this 'thing' or 'antithing' could dissolve, in anyway.

By the way what is 'physical space', to you? And is there such a 'thing' as 'nonphysical space'? If yes, then could this type of space be referred to as 'antispace', or would that not work?
Physical space = aether and antiparticles are structural defects in its regular structure, complementary to structural defects manifesting as elementary particles ... (the simplest examples such couple are eg interstitial and a vacantion), but I have written it many times, if you are interested, you can find it …
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Age wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:41 am
Sculptor wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:23 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:33 pm
I'm sorry I missed this discussion earlier. I have to say, I am in total agreement with every one of your responses on this thread. Perhaps best summed up by, "It does not change the fact that there are no explanations, there are just more intricate descriptions. My own view is that science has no interest, as science, in why anything is what it is or does what it does (as if reality were contingent on something else (sky daddy?)--as the mystics on this thread like IC contend), science only seeks to identify what things actually are and what they actually do, NOT WHY.

Since we're both instructed the only place to find the truth is in some journal, I guess we'll both be sent to our rooms to read some. :wink:
Indeed. Thanks for the support.
Sometimes I think I'm in a nuthouse.
There are so many people here who think they know the answer to everything, and completely lack humility.
LOL Name one person in this forum, or on this planet, that thinks they know the answer to EVERY thing. When, and if, you do, then we can ask them if this is correct or not.

What you assume "others" are thinking is NOT necessarily the same as what they are actually thinking.
Sculptor wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:23 pm IC is possibly the worst.
"immanuel can" OBVIOUSLY believes in things, which OBVIOUSLY could NOT even be close to being true, but "immanuel can" also does not think that they know the answer to EVERY thing.
Sculptor wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:23 pm It seems obvious that in a world where everyone that thinks they know the answer to life the universe and everything, can never find clear agreement with everyone else who thinks they know the answer to life the universe and everything, it is doubtful than anyone could ever have an answer to what is likely to be a meaningless question in the first place.
Finding and knowing the answer to what, to you, is likely to be a meaningless question in the first place, is an extremely simple and easy process, by the way.

But this can only be proven true when, and if, you provide what 'that' question is exactly.
Sculptor wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:23 pm They then go on to misuse and abuse philosophy as if it were a portal for them to express their false beliefs rather than a methodology to unpack those self same delusions.
Do you express your beliefs here?

If yes, then could they be false beliefs and self made delusions? Or, are your beliefs irrefutably true, right, and correct?
Teehee.
I love to take a look at people I've already put on Ignore from time to time to remind myself why.
Here we have a list of strawmen, misdirections and misunderstandings from a person desperate to look relevant.
Oh Um.

Post by Age »

Cerveny wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:45 am
Age wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:24 am

Physical space = aether and antiparticles are structural defects in its regular structure, complementary to structural defects manifesting as elementary particles ... (the simplest examples such couple are eg interstitial and a vacantion), but I have written it many times, if you are interested, you can find it …
What is 'aether', to you?

And, how can a 'thing' have structural defects in its own regular structure?

You are obviously Wrong in your views and beliefs here, which if you are interested, you can, very easily, find.

Now, if you are unable to just answer very simple clarifying questions posed directly to you, and are expecting "others" to look through everything you have written to find your answers, then what you will discover is this is just NOT going to happen.

When, and if, you ever discover, or learn, and understand what the word 'antimatter' refers to exactly, then you will be much closer to seeing and understanding how and why the Universe actually works the way It does.

Post by Age »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:04 am
Age wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:41 am
Sculptor wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:23 pm

Indeed. Thanks for the support.
Sometimes I think I'm in a nuthouse.
There are so many people here who think they know the answer to everything, and completely lack humility.
LOL Name one person in this forum, or on this planet, that thinks they know the answer to EVERY thing. When, and if, you do, then we can ask them if this is correct or not.

What you assume "others" are thinking is NOT necessarily the same as what they are actually thinking.
Sculptor wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:23 pm IC is possibly the worst.
"immanuel can" OBVIOUSLY believes in things, which OBVIOUSLY could NOT even be close to being true, but "immanuel can" also does not think that they know the answer to EVERY thing.
Sculptor wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:23 pm It seems obvious that in a world where everyone that thinks they know the answer to life the universe and everything, can never find clear agreement with everyone else who thinks they know the answer to life the universe and everything, it is doubtful than anyone could ever have an answer to what is likely to be a meaningless question in the first place.
Finding and knowing the answer to what, to you, is likely to be a meaningless question in the first place, is an extremely simple and easy process, by the way.

But this can only be proven true when, and if, you provide what 'that' question is exactly.
Sculptor wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:23 pm They then go on to misuse and abuse philosophy as if it were a portal for them to express their false beliefs rather than a methodology to unpack those self same delusions.
Do you express your beliefs here?

If yes, then could they be false beliefs and self made delusions? Or, are your beliefs irrefutably true, right, and correct?
Teehee.
I love to take a look at people I've already put on Ignore from time to time to remind myself why.
Here we have a list of strawmen, misdirections and misunderstandings from a person desperate to look relevant.
Oh Um.
And here we have ANOTHER one who uses the ignore button, but can NOT help "themselves".

Also, noticed is you made claims about strawmens, misdirections and misunderstanding, but NEVER provided absolutely ANY proof for these claims. You also have just refused to answer ANY clarifying questions posed to you.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Age wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:03 am

WHY do so many people in philosophy forums spend so much time looking at, judging, and talking about, "others", like above, instead of just questioning, clarifying, and/or backing up and supporting their claims?
WHY do some people in philosophy forums spend so much time looking at, judging, and talking about what, "others", do on the forum?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Sculptor to RCSaunders wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:23 pm Sometimes I think I'm in a nuthouse.
In regard to the surprising number of mentally-imbalanced people that come across this forum, is it a sign that a large percentage of humankind is mentally-imbalanced -– or does this forum attract those who either, 1) cannot get interaction or be heard elsewhere, and/or 2) seek a loosely-moderated platform they won’t get kicked off of no matter how manic and distorted their interactions may be?
Sculptor to RCSaunders wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:23 pm There are so many people here who think they know the answer to everything, and completely lack humility.
And they seem to lack enough self-awareness or self-honesty to be embarrassed by (or awakened to) the obvious transparency of their self-serving, supremely-knowing identity, no matter how many people point out the absurdity of it to them. It is as if they are spinning endlessly in an imaginary protective cocoon, chanting la-la-la to drown out all but their own thoughts.
Sculptor to RCSaunders wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:23 pm It seems obvious that in a world where everyone that thinks they know the answer to life the universe and everything, can never find clear agreement with everyone else who thinks they know the answer to life the universe and everything...
Apparently the glory of a delusion-of-uniqueness blinds some from noticing/considering all the others who are also claiming unique supreme knowing too. Observing human behavior can offer a lot of insight into philosophy.
Sculptor to RCSaunders wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:23 pm They then go on to misuse and abuse philosophy as if it were a portal for them to express their false beliefs rather than a methodology to unpack those self same delusions.
YES!!! Personal agendas are clearly too intoxicating to be deterred by truth. And some people take up positions under banners (such as philosophy) to pretend that's what they're doing... while their actions show otherwise to nearly everyone else (as shown by a broad spectrum of feedback).

Post by Age »

RCSaunders wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:28 pm
Age wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:03 am
WHY do some people in philosophy forums spend so much time looking at, judging, and talking about what, "others", do on the forum?
Because they might be asking clarifying questions, which if "others" were Truly OPEN, then would just answer Honestly while taking a good hard LOOK at "them self".

Post by Age »

Lacewing wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:11 pm
Sculptor to RCSaunders wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:23 pm Sometimes I think I'm in a nuthouse.
In regard to the surprising number of mentally-imbalanced people that come across this forum, is it a sign that a large percentage of humankind is mentally-imbalanced -– or does this forum attract those who either, 1) cannot get interaction or be heard elsewhere, and/or 2) seek a loosely-moderated platform they won’t get kicked off of no matter how manic and distorted their interactions may be?
While looking at and judging "others", in forums, some people seem to forget that they are doing the EXACT SAME thing/s, for the EXAXT SAME reason/s.

They are, after all, in the EXACT SAME forum/s.
Sculptor to RCSaunders wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:23 pm There are so many people here who think they know the answer to everything, and completely lack humility.
And they seem to lack enough self-awareness or self-honesty to be embarrassed by (or awakened to) the obvious transparency of their self-serving, supremely-knowing identity, no matter how many people point out the absurdity of it to them.
But yet NONE, like the one here who wrote the above quote, can answer, properly and correctly, the question, 'Who am 'I'?'

So, talk about not having enough self-awareness.
Lacewing wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:11 pm It is as if they are spinning endlessly in an imaginary protective cocoon, chanting la-la-la to drown out all but their own thoughts.
Which is EXACTLY what the writer if the above quite does.
Sculptor to RCSaunders wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:23 pm It seems obvious that in a world where everyone that thinks they know the answer to life the universe and everything, can never find clear agreement with everyone else who thinks they know the answer to life the universe and everything...
Apparently the glory of a delusion-of-uniqueness blinds some from noticing/considering all the others who are also claiming unique supreme knowing too.
And yet the writer if the above quote here is COMPLETELY BLINDED to the FACT that but is that one who BELIEVES it has the supreme and only one true knowledge of things.

As this is what I have been continually POINTING OUT to this one, but who is in complete and utter DENIAL of this.

The one known as "lacewing" here is the main one for making the claim that it KNOWS the 'unique supreme knowing', while at the same time NOT noticing what "others" have been POINTING OUT.
Lacewing wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:11 pm Observing human behavior can offer a lot of insight into philosophy.
AND, it has been YOUR BEHAVIOR, which I have been POINTING OUT, but which you have REFUSED to LOOK AT nor even to consider.
Sculptor to RCSaunders wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:23 pm They then go on to misuse and abuse philosophy as if it were a portal for them to express their false beliefs rather than a methodology to unpack those self same delusions.
YES!!! Personal agendas are clearly too intoxicating to be deterred by truth.
LOL

When will "lacewing" EVER wake up and see that they are a main offender of this?
Lacewing wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:11 pm And some people take up positions under banners (such as philosophy) to pretend that's what they're doing... while their actions show otherwise to nearly everyone else (as shown by a broad spectrum of feedback).
WHY do so many people come into philosophy forums to just LOOK AT, JUDGE, and TALK ABOUT "others", especially considering that this is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what was meant to take place in philosophical discussions?

I have been pointing out that "lacewing" is the one of the main offenders, here in this forum, for claiming that it has the unique supreme knowing.

When will they ever start to look at and discuss this?

If it wants a Truly philosophical discussion, then I await.
Jori

Post by Jori »

Scientific knowledge may be the most certain or accurate, but it can only deal with specific narrow physical phenomena, not with reality as a whole and ethics. There is still not scientific method of studying metaphysics and ethics. We have to rely on philosophy. When scientists talk about these things, they are not being scientific. Science can cure diseases, but why do we have to cure diseases and save lives? The answer is non-science.
Cerveny

Post by Cerveny »

Cerveny wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:29 pm I'm afraid "scientists" are only asking comfortable questions. Nowhere have I seen at least an attempt to answer, for example, why the electric charge occurs only in multiples of e or why elementary particles arise only in complementary pairs…
Or why can't anything run faster than light? … Do we need such science at all?