Does The Singularity Exist?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

jayjacobus

Re: Does The Singularity Exist?

Post by jayjacobus »

You can pack cubes in infinite space. When you do, there is no space left over for the singularity to exist. Therefore the singularity exists in 3 dimensional space or it doesn't exist.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

wtf wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:05 am
gaffo wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:52 amI'm just a dumb american, but saw your question and liking that you have an interest in learning english offer my hand to you to ecplain these things, knowing you don't know english so well and might not understand and hence your post.
Tell me your post was a joke. Or if you like, I'll be happy to explain my post to you.
you know i don't keep up on who is who on this forum much theses days - the last yr or so its descended to twitter and not longer worth my time.

I rem you "wtf" now, but did not note your moniker when you posted - and assumed you are a foreigner and not just joking. so troll me if it gets you off - just another reason to no longer bother to show up here anymore - this forum just sinks lower and lower - its seems a troll pissing contest more than a discussion forum this past year.

hope you enjoy "discussion" with Veg - for soon only she and other trolls like her will be the only ones left here - other folks (the non trolls) will be long gone.

good day Sir.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

jayjacobus wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:31 am You can pack cubes in infinite space. When you do, there is no space left over for the singularity to exist. Therefore the singularity exists in 3 dimensional space or it doesn't exist.
You may want to take a peek at this article: https://www.quantamagazine.org/how-many ... -20210715/

Pay attention to the secion on "forcing" - how to invent new reals etc. Then do some homework on Woodin's Ω-logic.
socrat44

Post by socrat44 »

jayjacobus wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:31 am You can pack cubes in infinite space.
When you do, there is no space left over for the singularity to exist.
Therefore the singularity exists in 3 dimensional space or it doesn't exist.
What is reference frame for billion gravity-stars and
gravity-planets of billions galaxies?
It is reference frame of an infinite cosmic vacuum space.
Then every gravity-stars and every gravity-planets is
a singular point in the infinite cosmic vacuum space.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

wtf wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:29 am
socrat44 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:54 am Does The Singularity Exist?
The subject you discussed is whether "a" singularity can exist. The answer is no. A singularity is a mathematical phenomenon that indicates that the physics has broken down and that we need better theory. There's no actual singularity inside a black hole, a zero-dimensional point of infinite mass or whatever. That's a mathematical anomaly that doesn't exist in reality.

"The" singularity is the idea that computers will become smarter than us and we'll upload our minds and all that kind of fashionable nonsense. Completely separate idea from what you are discussing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity
The technological singularity—also, simply, the singularity[1]—is a hypothetical point in time at which technological growth becomes uncontrollable and irreversible, resulting in unforeseeable changes to human civilization.[2][3] According to the most popular version of the singularity hypothesis, called intelligence explosion, an upgradable intelligent agent will eventually enter a "runaway reaction" of self-improvement cycles, each new and more intelligent generation appearing more and more rapidly, causing an "explosion" in intelligence and resulting in a powerful superintelligence that qualitatively far surpasses all human intelligence.
But what do I know, I've never even given a TED talk. Come the singularity I'll be consigned to the fossil museum along with my buggy whip.
I think the Tech-Singularity may be closer than you think, though, you could be quite old!

The original point with TS was that once we get closer to that 'singularity', the less predictable mankind can assess its future.

Thing is, once the technicalities of quantum-computing are worked out all our current encryption across the net is going to be useless - of course, once that happens quantum encryption will be used, which apparently is non-crackable.

I see the future of quantum-computing to be cloud based, at least initially - so users will be basically paying for offsite access of processing (x\flops) rather than storage space as is the more standard cloud use.

There truly is something about tech of that calibre that we, maybe not you included, should be concerned about.
socrat44

Post by socrat44 »

yeah,
1- the correctness of quantum theory is confirmed by many facts
2- quantum computing has been done very - very accurate
3- the technological singularity is no problem, because
thanks to quantum laws we have modern technology
4- it remains to understand what is still missing
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

socrat44 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:15 pm yeah,
1- the correctness of quantum theory is confirmed by many facts
2- quantum computing has been done very - very accurate
3- the technological singularity is no problem, because
thanks to quantum laws we have modern technology
4- it remains to understand what is still missing
Well. Do U actually intend making a point?
wtf

Post by wtf »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:22 am There truly is something about tech of that calibre that we, maybe not you included, should be concerned about.
I don't even know you and don't recall interacting with you. Is there some reason you felt compelled to make some sort of personal remark? I don't get it. This site has reached a point where there's no conversation to be had.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

wtf wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:27 am
attofishpi wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:22 am There truly is something about tech of that calibre that we, maybe not you included, should be concerned about.
I don't even know you and don't recall interacting with you. Is there some reason you felt compelled to make some sort of personal remark?
Oh, sorry if I offended. The remark:- 'maybe not you included' was in ref. to your statement of being a fossil prior to such a 'singularity'.

wtf wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:27 am I don't get it. This site has reached a point where there's no conversation to be had.
yeah, it has been in decline since US Trumpoids took over.
wtf

Post by wtf »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:03 am
Oh, sorry if I offended. The remark:- 'maybe not you included' was in ref. to your statement of being a fossil prior to such a 'singularity'.
Sorry I overreacted. It wasn't you, it was two other people who lobbed rocks at me at the same time. Also I know I made the fossil joke myself. And it's true that I rode a dinosaur to school. But for the record there will never be a technological singularity as envisioned by the TED talkers, either before or after my inevitable and ever more impending demise.

attofishpi wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:03 am yeah, it has been in decline since US Trumpoids took over.
And before that it wasn't? If the system was functioning, how could Trump have become president? Remind me who was the other choice. Oh right, Hillary. Another symptom of American decline. A corrupt, incompetent warmonger, perhaps the only person in the country who could have managed to lose to Trump. So is this the politics forum now? Trump was a symptom, not the cause, of American decline. And you're going to tell me with a straight face that Joe Biden knows what planet he's on? And is some kind of statesman? A lifelong warmonger, drug warrior, racist, hair sniffer, public molester of little girls, plagiarist, serial liar, and corruptocratl? Come on, man. Perhaps you're unfamiliar with the man's actual record.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

wtf wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:22 am
attofishpi wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:03 am
Sorry I overreacted. It wasn't you, it was two other people who lobbed rocks at me at the same time. Also I know I made the fossil joke myself. And it's true that I rode a dinosaur to school. But for the record there will never be a technological singularity as envisioned by the TED talkers, either before or after my inevitable and ever more impending demise.
No worries cobba.

TED came about a long while after I was reading about this 'Tech-Singularity' (TS) - and TED has declined to include any womble that can breath and fart crap out of their mouths, so I probably wouldn't bother looking up this topic on that platform.

The TS is a real concern - I am not big on the 'singularity' coinage, but yes, the concept of the future becoming less certain as tech evolves to the point where petaFlops are looked back upon comparitively as the thought process of a snail after a night on the booze - coupled with interface to robots with appendages that make manipulating objects within our reality far beyond what our own can manage....there's a lot to be concerned with - especially where the upper 1% of the worlds population own 90% of the wealth. Well, nothing would stop them with that kind of POWER to control us mere scum that walk upon their world! :mrgreen:
wtf wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:22 am
attofishpi wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:03 am yeah, it has been in decline since US Trumpoids took over.
And before that it wasn't? If the system was functioning, how could Trump have become president? Remind me who was the other choice. Oh right, Hillary. Another symptom of American decline. A corrupt, incompetent warmonger, perhaps the only person in the country who could have managed to lose to Trump. So is this the politics forum now? Trump was a symptom, not the cause, of American decline. And you're going to tell me with a straight face that Joe Biden knows what planet he's on? And is some kind of statesman? A lifelong warmonger, drug warrior, racist, hair sniffer, public molester of little girls, plagiarist, serial liar, and corruptocratl? Come on, man. Perhaps you're unfamiliar with the man's actual record.
Dunno, don't care much for US politics -I don't think things would have been as chaotic if the Hilary bi**h got in. (internally at least)
It's always THE most corrupt that get the chance of the main job in that dumb arse nation. They are all owned by way of 'dirt' via honeytraps (setup by MOSAD) and other conspiritors, they all are silver spoon fed rich arse scum with mates that own arms factories and the like...yeah B Clinton had a nose more powerful than a hoover, bringing in truck loads of cocaine, CIA teaching how to convert to crack and distribute it throughout 'black' neighbourhoods while introducing laws that would ensure they would be incarcerated and never have the chance to succeed, tarnished with criminal record for the rest of their lives.
The cocaine comes in from Mexico and south - via Govt channels - the rich kids love the shit - the poor black kids in their neighbourhoods get shot to bits over it - the rich kids families that make guns and bullets sell them to Mexico and southwards..

The US 'elites' have got each other and the rest of their 'nation' in their pockets.
Cerveny

Post by Cerveny »

Singularity is a point in spacetime where incredible amount of matter is compressed into a tiny space of zero size and infinite density.
But, the question is, ” Does it exist?”

Singularity is not a physical object, it is a mathematical entity. It arises when the denominator is zero. We all know we cannot divide by zero, so that’s a problem and mathematicians call that value singularity. If a singularity popes up in an equation, it means that the equation has been to make predictions in areas where it doesn’t cover like using Newton’s Gravitational Equation to describe a black hole.

General Relativity fails at the quantum scale and needs to be replaced by Quantum Theory of Gravity which we don’t have.

https://knowledgeglutton.home.blog/2021 ... comment-21
We don't even need a new theory of gravity (Newton, extended by the finite speed of gravitational propagation, which is GTR after all, is enough) but we need to understand the structure of physical space (vacuum, aether) and the mechanism of the time… to simplify the thing a bit, "dark matter" is essentially the aether towed by matter
socrat44

Post by socrat44 »

Cerveny wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:59 am

Singularity is a point in spacetime where incredible amount of matter is compressed into a tiny space of zero size and infinite density.
But, the question is, ” Does it exist?”

Singularity is not a physical object, it is a mathematical entity. It arises when the denominator is zero. We all know we cannot divide by zero, so that’s a problem and mathematicians call that value singularity. If a singularity popes up in an equation, it means that the equation has been to make predictions in areas where it doesn’t cover like using Newton’s Gravitational Equation to describe a black hole.

General Relativity fails at the quantum scale and needs to be replaced by Quantum Theory of Gravity which we don’t have.

https://knowledgeglutton.home.blog/2021 ... comment-21
We don't even need a new theory of gravity (Newton, extended by the finite speed of gravitational propagation,
which is GTR after all, is enough) but we need to understand the structure of physical space (vacuum, aether)
and the mechanism of the time… to simplify the thing a bit, "dark matter" is essentially the aether towed by matter
Agree
--------
Maybe this article will interest you
-------
Something is rotten in the state of QED
February 2020
Authors: Oliver Consa
https://vixra.org/pdf/2002.0011v1.pdf
wtf

Post by wtf »

socrat44 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:59 pm https://vixra.org/pdf/2002.0011v1.pdf
viXra. It's the new Proceedings of the Royal Society.
socrat44

Post by socrat44 »

Learning to Live in Steven Weinberg’s Pointless Universe
The late physicist’s most infamous statement still beguiles scientists and vexes believers
/ By Dan Falk on July 27, 2021 /
“The more the universe seems comprehensible,” he wrote,
“the more it also seems pointless.”
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... SQ92nhLQL4
Why the universe is pointless for us?
Because we ignore the fact that the “big bang” can be started
only in the infinite Cosmic Vacuum